Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
How long to verify a number? (Read 46,416 times)
trevord

West Sussex, UK
Re: How long to verify a number?
Reply #30 - Jan 23rd, 2006 at 1:30pm

Quote:
Basically the numbers remain in the Unverified list forever ...

Yes, I was coming to that conclusion! Sad
But it's one thing for the numbers to be there and vaguely searchable - it's another thing then to find out that the numbers are no longer valid and for several people to waste time and consequently lose confidence in the site.

Quote:
You can accesss the Unverified List via the non obvious "List Unverified Entries" button at the bottom of the "Search to Find an Alternative Number" page.  This is a big list so anyone using dial up is not going to be very happy.

Thanks.  I had found that out.
Also, after not finding something there by scrolling down the alphabetic list, and then later looking again and finding it after all, I realised that there are at least TWO consecutive alphabetic lists to look through if you do it by scrolling. Undecided
Also again, I found out how long the list is and how long it takes to load (even on broadband - ok, my computer's slow as well!), after doing a Ctrl-F to find an entry, finding nothing - and again later finding it after all and realising that the first 'Find' was negative because the list hadn't finished loading! Cry

Quote:
It would be good to have a statement from Daniel on this matter.

I endorse that request.

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #31 - Jan 23rd, 2006 at 1:46pm

oi its hard to verify the numbers. We dont all have unlimited time. I know I dont, having to visit voters in my ward who are also starting to moan to me about the 0870 rip off.
Im currently working thru the argos and CPW numbers, most of them dont connect or never get answered.

Why dont you volunteer to help clear the list?

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Jan 23rd, 2006 at 1:54pm

I think the Unverified List does have in its favour that you add a number to the system and it is there for use immediately.  OK so some of them don't work but then nor do many of those in the so called Verified List with the passage of time.

The final routing destination of the geographic alternative in large organisations is inevitably likely to change sooner or later and so not lead to the service needed (it is in the nature of the way many NGN call centres are run) so in my view the more alternatives the merrier.

I think the Unverified List should be able to be searched along with the Verified in one query but the Unverified results would show their different provisional status by using a different colour and showing some kind of symbol against them.

Its clear that with the ever growing list of 084/7s in use no one can keep the list pefect so letting it be run by all of the site's users is the best way.  I would also give rights to delete or amend an existing number in the database to the person who originally added it.  Numbers should only be able to be added once logged in under a user name and password.  Then if most of one particular contributors work is found to be suspect those numbers can be easily removed.

Do those sound like some positive suggestions as to how to make more of the knowm alternatives available more quickly?

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Reply #33 - Jan 23rd, 2006 at 2:24pm

mc661 wrote on Jan 23rd, 2006 at 1:46pm:
oi its hard to verify the numbers. We dont all have unlimited time.

I don't dispute that - hence my starting with an acknowledgement of the time taken and with thanks in my first message in this thread.  I'm sorry if I caused offence. Cry

mc661 wrote on Jan 23rd, 2006 at 1:46pm:
Im currently working thru the argos and CPW numbers, most of them dont connect or never get answered.
Why dont you volunteer to help clear the list?

Thank you!  I had inferred from NGM's previous answer:
Quote:
People have given offers to help out with the number checking in the past but effectively they are only met with luke warm enthusiasm.

and earlier comments in the thread, that offers of help from others were not appreciated.  I had actually thought of offering to help when I have time, and have tried to do a little bit in that direction with a few numbers added to the DB or in messages and occasional searching in response to requests.

As I said in my first post, my comments were actually triggered by nkitson & Foxy's posts:
Foxy wrote on Jan 23rd, 2006 at 11:09am:
what do we do when we find an out of date alternative phone number link, because I've found quite a few now.

My concerns were / are not so much positive confirmation of geo numbers, but removal (or at least annotation) of numbers reported as incorrect or dead, etc..  Presumably even some of those in the Verified List do become out of date.

NGM's latest response has been posted since I started this reply, and follows my own line of thinking (altho' I hadn't actually said this), and I would endorse the gist of his suggestions.

I think positive confirmation of numbers by someone working through them would be a 'nice to have' but is not realistic in view of the size of the DB and the increasing awareness of the issues.

Positive or negative confirmation by someone who has actually tried to use the number would be extremely helpful, would spread the load, and would largely remove tedious formal verification.

I can quite see that when the list was started it was a good objective to have a verified list.  But realistically the site seems to have grown beyond that now, and some 'regulated' updating by all/many users would seem appropriate.  Then DB upkeep could be aimed more at ensuring consistency of company names and information, rather than actual verification of numbers.

I think I might even go further than NGM and suggest that maybe there is no longer any useful purpose in mainly two separate lists - and that the Verified and Unverified lists should be merged, especially as it seems that it is not practical even to keep the Verified list up to date now.

I hope these are some constructive comments. Smiley

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #34 - Jan 23rd, 2006 at 5:52pm

I recommend (AGAIN) a simple (well, it would be) solution:

Just incorporate the verified and unverified lists into one (alphabeticise them all and colour-code the text [red = warning] on those which are not verified).

That's been suggested before but, although a number of members agreed it was a way out of the impasse (this was at a time when the unverified list was considerably smaller than it is now), nothing happened.

As a result, new visitors to the site don't find (possible) alternative numbers.

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

intercity125

verified numbers?
Reply #35 - May 6th, 2006 at 11:39am

I added a number for the railway switchboard (for connection to any railway location) a little while back and it hasn't appeared on the list.  I know the number works and was just wondering whether there was a problem with verification?

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #36 - May 6th, 2006 at 5:14pm

Hi intercity125,

Unfortunately, the delay with verifying a number can be a while.

A lot of numbers are added each day and as such the unverified list is very long now.  This, associated with checking for duplicates that are already in the main database (or indeed duplicates that are still unverified) can take a while.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #37 - May 6th, 2006 at 6:04pm

bbb_uk wrote on May 6th, 2006 at 5:14pm:
Hi intercity125,

Unfortunately, the delay with verifying a number can be a while.

A lot of numbers are added each day and as such the unverified list is very long now.  This, associated with checking for duplicates that are already in the main database (or indeed duplicates that are still unverified) can take a while.

bbb can you define "a while" as in my experience it can be forever.  Dave's normal position is to promote a number to the main database when someone makes a complaint so as to avoid the complainant becoming too upset.

The whole situation with the list of NGN alternative numbers needs to be completely reworked so that it is only a single list but with numbers marked as verified or unverified so the users of them can know what level of confidence in them they can expect.

Another problem not mentioned is that many verified members become defunct due to their withdrawal by the call centres concerned, especially in the case of Sky who are now utterly ruthless in repeatedly withdrawing any NGN alternative number that is uncovered.  But at present there is no way for a number in the so called verified database to be marked as dead by database users or at least reported to DaveM or whoever when this occurs.

The alleged owner of this site Daniel - has made no statements in this forum for weeks or months and it is high time that he did so on this very important issue rather than spending all his time on arranging for new and more lucrative banner ad click thrus. Shocked
« Last Edit: May 6th, 2006 at 6:05pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #38 - May 6th, 2006 at 7:29pm

Quote:
The whole situation with the list of NGN alternative numbers needs to be completely reworked so that it is only a single list but with numbers marked as verified or unverified so the users of them can know what level of confidence in them they can expect.
Daniel has already begun working on this now.

Quote:
Another problem not mentioned is that many verified members become defunct due to their withdrawal by the call centres concerned, especially in the case of Sky who are now utterly ruthless in repeatedly withdrawing any NGN alternative number that is uncovered.  But at present there is no way for a number in the so called verified database to be marked as dead by database users or at least reported to DaveM or whoever when this occurs.
I agree (especially at how ruthless Sky are) and although not ideal forum users could post in the relevant thread for the company concerned in the 'Geographical Request' section, or 'Site Related' section and then it will be noticed and the entry then removed/amended (where necessary).

IP Logged

delmontebanana

Reply #39 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 11:19am

Hi all!

At the risk of being called a rude newbie, how hard is it to get a number checked? I added a phone number for a Toyota garage (both the 0870 and geographical no.) 2months ago and went to search for it again cos I lost it and it's still not searchable!

Pick up phone, dial number, wait for answer "Hello, x. company, how can I help you?". Hang up. VERIFIED.
I typically make 100 phone calls a day and wouldn't mind helping out to verify some of those numbers.

Complaining that you don't have the time to do something because you have a business to run is utter rubbish. If you can't afford the time to do something or are too tired of it, then you should hand over the reigns to someone else who is more willing. Evidentally there are dozens of people on this forum willing to do that, provided that they can win the trust of the website owner. Why not make some of them "provisional number checkers" for the time being? It will free your hands to run your business/own activities more effectively.

Wikipedia.org is THE biggest and most successful free encyclopedia website on earth, you will find EVERYTHING you need to know about ANYTHING there. How did they get this big, you ask? Because anyone can contribute to it, and then their contributions get checked and deleted/added.

Constructive section: NGman made some excellent suggestions which I feel should be used. The idea of having a logging in system for users to be able to alter things should be put in place. If you don't like the idea of giving too much power to the users, then why not add a function to the entries where people can flag it up to be re-verfied?

And before anyone flames me for being ungrateful, I am VERY GRATEFUL for this site. Let me repeat,
VERY GRATEFUL
, and I do thank the moderators and founder of this website as it's saved me quite a bit of money. But as someone has stated before, this website has grown beyond it's days of being a small site run by a few friends to give cheaper phone calls to the public into a huge database of searchable numbers.

All I can see at the moment is the site slowly degenerating into an out of date dinosaur with a huge list of unverified working numbers and verified non-working numbers. Something needs to be done.

IP Logged

petepots

Dont inderstand why entry is not put in
Reply #40 - Jun 24th, 2006 at 4:34pm

Guys

I now have tried adding an entry "Web Electricals" I have phoned the std number and they answer " Hi Web Electricals" so why does this site not enter it into they database

Do you have to been lodged in to enter numbers.

I understand that it has to be verified but they will not put it on the database.

I did notice that 121 electricals have an entry but that number is no void

Angry

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #41 - Jun 26th, 2006 at 1:58pm

petepots wrote on Jun 24th, 2006 at 4:34pm:
I now have tried adding an entry "Web Electricals" I have phoned the std number and they answer " Hi Web Electricals" so why does this site not enter it into they database

I have moved the number to the verified list.  Wink

Quote:
Do you have to been lodged in to enter numbers.

You only log in for the forums. Anyone can add a number to the database.

Quote:
I did notice that 121 electricals have an entry but that number is no void

I've updated this aswell.  Wink

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #42 - Jun 27th, 2006 at 12:37am

To clarify the forum management seem to have no long term plan to ever clear the large backlog of Unverified numbers and most numbers added to the Unverified list will remain there for months unless they are a number for a very important large company or if the contributor of the number makes a public complaint about the number's non appearance in this forum.  If a complaint is made then the matter is normally rectified by DaveM within 24 to 48 hours.  This is not how things should be but it is how they are in practice at the present time.

Also there are a huge number of Verified numbers that are no longer valid and these again never get corrected as there is no automated way for a user of the list who comes across a problem to flag and report it to the forum's management team.

Two of the forum's management team known as Daniel (the forum owner) and DaveM appear to be Missing in Action and have not been heard from for a very long time.  bbb_uk and DaveM are between them doing a stirling job of holding the fort under what must be very trying and difficult circumstances. Wink Undecided
« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2006 at 12:39am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, CJT-80, DaveM, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge