Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How to Complain about the 0870+0845 SCAM ? (Read 21,453 times)
Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: How to Complain about the 0870+0845 SCAM ?
Reply #15 - Oct 14th, 2004 at 1:11pm

Quote:
Just thought you might like to see the reply I got from Ofcom

By way of background, I should explain that 0870 and 0845 numbers are known as Number Translation Services (NTS) ie the non-geographic number sits on top of a geographic number.  The NTS regime was created to encourage the provision of innovative value added services by terminating operators and service providers.  These services are often funded fully or in part by the revenue received from call charges.  As such it would be inappropriate for Ofcom to require that alternative geographic numbers are published alongside NTS numbers as this would mean the service provider received no payment for the use of their service.

I think "value added services" means that there is money to be made here, which is most important. In the next sentance he admits that these NGNs are funded by the caller. Why should I have to pay to keep a company's NGN in operation? If a company wants the benefits of a NGN then they should pay for it!!

It is also mentioned about the service provider receiving payment for the service. If I've paid my insurance premium then I've already paid for the service!!

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #16 - Oct 14th, 2004 at 1:58pm

No! I don't believe anything positive or constructive from the consumers point of view is happening.

If you have read the Ofcom conclusions carefully you will see that they deliberately ignore every single point submitted by consumers and as usual follow the BT line. They still try to insist for example that there are no abuses with queueing despite all the evidence. Their technique is always to pad their documents with lots of extreme dross statements in which they can hide the reailty of their true conclusions, which is always "we don't want to rock the boat - the gravy train might stop"! In other words there will be no changes to anything we had already decided before the supposed "Consultation" even if consumers disagree entirely! They don't even pay any attention to the submissions from other telcos - only that from BT.

I believe the time has come to examine very carefully the exact legal scope of their responsibilities and brief under the Act (which they are so fond of quoting themselves). I believe they are not fulfilling their legal obligations and responsibilities, particularly in respect of facilitating commercial competition. I think assault from that angle is the only way forward to get change. Formal complaints then have to be made against them via the appropriate Ombudsman and subsequently if necessary to Europe.

I plan to suggest change to all web protest sites, so that they are oriented on that basis subsequently. It is Ofcom that are to blaim directly for the continuation of these  abuses, and the only way to get action is to directly address and attack their failures and prevarication.
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2004 at 2:03pm by dorf »  

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

gwr

UK
Reply #17 - Oct 14th, 2004 at 2:05pm

Well done mypinknee.
I'm still waiting for my reply!

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #18 - Oct 14th, 2004 at 2:21pm

I agree dorf, Ofcom are there to justify their own existance.

I don't know how many people work at Ofcom, but Steven Parker and co in the contact centre must spend most of their day replying to emails and letters. What good does that do us all? It's "commercial discretion" this and "commercial discretion" that.

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #19 - Oct 14th, 2004 at 4:35pm

Ofcom stated that the revenue generated is there to pay for the value added services.  I agree with Dave, why should the caller have to pay for this.  It's a bit like putting 50p in a vending machine for a can of coke, and the machine leaving a message saying "I want 5p more to pay for the electricity for chilling of the can, for your benefit"

Also, using the same "can of coke" principle, if you did put 50p in a machine and had a message saying "please wait" then got nothing, then you'd want to complain and get a refund, and I'm sure most places would apologise and give you a refund, or that coke, without question

However if you call your bank, credit card, or insurance company on an 0870 number, wait 10 minutes in a queue and get cut off, they are not in the business of handing out refunds for the phone bill, yet happy to take your money from the call revenue.

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, DaveM, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge