Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Essex Police using 0870 (Read 10,866 times)
baz

Essex Police using 0870
Oct 19th, 2004 at 6:44pm

Yesterday on local television (Eastern Region) the Essex Police were appealing for information on a crime and asking viewers to contact their Chemsford Station. The number to ring was an 0870 which I find unacceptable when asking the Public to respond at their expense to a non geographical number. Whilst one does not expect to see 0800 number, at least publish a local geographical number as most responses are likely to be  local. If this trend is used by other emergency services  then this might signal  disappearence of all geographical numbers other than private phones.

Baz

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Re: Essex Police using 0870
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2004 at 8:36pm

Devon and Cornwall police also use non geo numbers.

About 6 months ago, they even did a news article about changing from 0870 to 0845 for general enquiries and non urgent crimes etc.

They also stated that the move will cost them lost revenue, but this has been taken account in their budget, as they want to be more "approachable"

This may sound old fashioned, but I remember the good old days of policing, when you could call your local station, on their geographic number.  Now that's what I call approachable.

For those who will phone in, it looks like you'll be "charged" for giving information, without even being under arrest!!

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

Heinz
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2004 at 9:33pm

Quote:
Yesterday on local television (Eastern Region) the Essex Police were appealing for information on a crime and asking viewers to contact their Chemsford Station. The number to ring was an 0870 which I find unacceptable when asking the Public to respond at their expense to a non geographical number. Whilst one does not expect to see 0800 number, at least publish a local geographical number as most responses are likely to be  local. If this trend is used by other emergency services  then this might signal  disappearence of all geographical numbers other than private phones.

Baz

It'll just result in more people using 999 for non-emergency calls.  

For some reason, the expression "Hoist by their own petard" springs to mind.

At the moment, all Essex Police geographical telephone numbers are shown on their website (the number for Chelmsford is 01245 491212).
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2004 at 9:41pm by Heinz »  
After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #3 - Oct 19th, 2004 at 9:45pm

I know the West Yorkshire use 0845, an alternative is listed on this site. It seems North Yorkshire have adopted 0845 60 60 24 7. An international alternative is shown, which I've added to the database.  Smiley

A number of years ago South Yorkshire Police starting using 0114 2 20 20 20 and they're still using it.

You can find your local police force online at http://www.police.uk/.
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2004 at 9:54pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #4 - Oct 19th, 2004 at 11:29pm

Baz,

That of course was exactly BT's objective in commencing this scam. If you look at http://www.ofcom.org.uk/ind_groups/ind_groups/telecommunications/nts_focus/notes...
{NTS focus group meeting notes and action page (03/06/04)} you will note that BT actually admitted here that "...BT wasn’t wishing to jeopardise the future of the UK NTS market as this accounted for between a quarter and one third of switched revenues for BT." They have achieved this market share already. If they can get away with it without the Competition Commission taking any action, their objective is clearly to get all companies and organisations to change over to using NGNs (other than 09) entirely, so as to reduce competition.

As you observe, the only users of geographic numbers left then will be private individuals.
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2004 at 11:41pm by dorf »  

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

chrispy

Reply #5 - Oct 29th, 2004 at 3:17pm

In Herts all published staion numbers are routed to HQ switchboard. Herts have also addopted an 0845 non emergency contact number, citing ease of use????
and only one number to remember, convienently forgetting that all published numbers are already routed to the same switchboard.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #6 - Oct 29th, 2004 at 5:43pm

Exactly. Telephoning Cheshire Police recently I used the local station's local 0151 number from my mobile (to report an abandoned car) and waited twenty minutes after being answered. When they could not find the location and decided that it was in North Wales (it was not - still isn't) they could only offer an 0845 number for North Wales Police.

Another example for the 0fcom consultation.

And using a local number is actually easier for the caller, as well as cheaper, because one can generally remember a locally-based number.

Now to check the lists and add the local numbers...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Dave, CJT-80, DaveM, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge