Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Disasters Emergency Commision (Read 21,257 times)
Lucia

Disasters Emergency Commision
Jan 1st, 2005 at 1:50am

I have been very pleased to see the way that people have given so freely to the people so devastated by the Tsunami.
My query is this.
0870 numbers cost to call. So is the revenue from these calls going towards the fund?

I would hope that it would. But as I have recently found this site and the useful info contained. I do wonder. Much of the aid needed has been slow to get there and governments have been slow with thier financial help.
I hope this is just my suspicious fears of greed.
I'm sure someone out there can clarify.
Thanks

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Re: Disasters Emergency Commision
Reply #1 - Jan 2nd, 2005 at 6:28pm

The charity organising donations via the 0870 number, probably plough all profits from this, and interest from money left into accounts, into their work.

Sometimes not all the money given goes direct to help, because of admin costs, such as bank charges, or credit card fees, but sometimes banks do waive charges in these situations.

What we should however ask, is whether the company providing the 0870 number is donating any of it's profits to the cause, or providing revenue at a higher rate, as a gesture of goodwill to the cause.

Also, will other telecoms companies, that carry 0870 calls (mainly BT and mobile phones) donate anything from their profits of that number?

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

bobby48

northern boy

Stalybridge
Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2005 at 6:30pm

My concern also. I cannot understand why this appeal has to be an 0870 number.

Has anybody an explanation?

northern boy

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #3 - Jan 4th, 2005 at 7:08pm

The use of 0870 by DEC is simply because these numbers are now all pervasive; virtually every aspect of telephone use now requires 0870, from government to banking, from customer support to sales, from rail accidents to natural disasters. The DEC is simply jumping on the NGN band wagon and probably believes it to be "sexy" to have such a number. It is disgraceful and a sad indictment on what is happening in the UK. It also demonstrates the complete ineffectiveness of the so-called regulator. Just who does Ofcom serve?

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #4 - Jan 4th, 2005 at 8:39pm

In this instance I would accept that the DEC wanted to use every available spot of income. Premium Rate on 09X would have been more honest, but possibly off-putting. Because, of course, so few people (sayNo's 1116 members notwithstanding) know that BT has redefined 0870 as Premium Rate.

So they opted for 0870. Most operators could have provided 0845 or 0800, so perhaps we should ask the DEC whether the operators are also donating their share. I am sure that their shareholders would approve - good PR etc.

Come on guys - no excuses now.

IP Logged

kk

Reply #5 - Jan 4th, 2005 at 9:31pm

The Disaster Emergency Commison is a public body covered by the Freedom of Information Act.

Ask them the questions by letter or email and include your name and address.

They must reply in 20 working days.

KK

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #6 - Jan 5th, 2005 at 10:44am

In this instance, I don't think we should criticise the DEC for using 0870. It isn't the same as a customer phoning a company to complain. If they didn't receive revenue from 0870, some of the donations might have to be used to pay for running the call centre. I think I heard them say BT are providing the lines, and BT are usually generous when it comes to charity (after all they can afford to be!), so probably aren't profiting from this. If anyone really objects to paying for the 0870 number, can I suggest calculating how much it has cost and subtracting this from the amount you would otherwise have donated Undecided

At least the Foreign Office's number was a London number, despite being one people from all over country might need to call. Some people from abroad might have needed to use it too. Maybe the government is finally realising that 0870 numbers are not a good idea.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #7 - Jan 5th, 2005 at 1:32pm

I see no problem in being critical of the DEC operating a revenue-generating number. Such numbers not only generate revenue for the recipient (DEC) or its provider (BT), but additional revenue to the providing operator due to the uplift in charge. Can we be sure that all additional revenue from all operators will be passed on? Of course not. BT could easily provide, at no cost to the DEC, a call center terminating on a geographic number. After all, it did this before these rip-off numbers ever came into being. Whilst the use of geographic numbers also creates revenue somewhere in the chain, it is nowhere near as significant as that contributed by 0870.

Regarding the FCO, the emergency 020 number is not to be used, according to the FCO, for travel queries - the 0870 number must be used for that advice! That clearly makes contact from overseas difficult. Why do those that provide these services seem to be so utterly stupid? Why does the UK have clueless government? The US Department of State has a toll-free number for those that live in the United States and a normal area code for those trying to call from overseas.  Why can't the FCO provide the same facilities for its citizens? Probably because it doesn't give a toss about them.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

bill
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jan 5th, 2005 at 3:10pm

Quote:
Why does the UK have clueless government?

It is rumoured that we will have an opportunity to make that point at the ballot box later this year.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #9 - Jan 5th, 2005 at 3:54pm

I fear only a rumour - certainly about any effectiveness

IP Logged

Silversurfer

Reply #10 - Jan 6th, 2005 at 10:29am

idb is correct. One always finds parasites lurking when there's a disaster. BT could easily have implemented an 0800 line as its own contribution to the fund. Government departments, and presumably NGOs, have been instructed not to use the 0870 company.
As usual, we are not asking the right questions. I would want to know about Government Ministers and politicians involvement in 0870, including directorships down to shareholdings, with special attention to anyone working in the FCO. Why haven't the investigative journalists in the Beeb and Fleet Street hot-footed it down to Companies House?
The scams will continue until the good citizens can be fully informed about 0870 iniquities. As Tony, himself, says : Education, education, education.
SS.

IP Logged

whosforachat

Reply #11 - Jan 7th, 2005 at 10:23am

It has been mentioned here that "BT are usually generous when it comes to charity ", but they subsidise none of the thousands of calls made to The Samaritans each year.  They must make an enormous amount of money out of this.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #12 - Jan 7th, 2005 at 2:11pm

I notice that the mobile networks have set up a premium rate text number for donations. The whole £1.50 goes to DEC and the operators don't take any cut. Even no VAT is applied..

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #13 - Jan 7th, 2005 at 2:17pm

Wonderful forward thinking?

So that future donations can be part of a habit without, necessarily, the Operators' generosity...

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #14 - Jan 7th, 2005 at 2:18pm

DEC relationship with BT

http://www.dec.org.uk/uploads/documents/dec0poliACF1A.pdf

British Telecommunications Plc
i. BT’s prime responsibility is to set up a network of telephone
connections around the UK so that a large number of calls are quickly
routed to the appeal telephone number(s). Calls are paid for by the
caller at the national rate, and BT makes a discretionary donation to the
DEC.

ii. BT also provides BT staff and volunteers free for the DEC on the
appeal launch evening to answer telephone donation calls at BT Tower
London.

>>

I wonder exactly what the 'discretionary donation' comprises?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, DaveM, Dave, bbb_uk, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge