Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
National action re 087 numbers (Read 6,826 times)
kencrisp

National action re 087 numbers
Jan 6th, 2005 at 11:54am

I have just joined so hope I am not repeating too much of what has been said already.

It seems to me that the "087" teleophone number scam is escalating at such a rate as to become a national scandal.  Even our local doctor's surgery has gone onto that system and some people who live only a mile or so from the surgery will now pay 7.9 pence per minute in excess of that paid when a geographic number was available.

If the "087" numbers are transfered to the premium rate, which is most appropriate as that is what they are, then they must become an "09" number to alert the public of the excess charges.  All too many people are unaware of the charges for the various "08" numbers and many think they are all free or low cost.

Shouldn't we all be lobbying our Members of Parliament and writing to our local newspapers about the escalating situation, in order to achieve maximum publicity before it gets too entrenched?

BT's website indicates they are geared up to issue up to 10 million "087" numbers, so their aspirations are high and the sums of money involved and available to the unscrupulous middle men (firms) is vast.

IP Logged

kk

Re: National action re 087 numbers
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2005 at 4:50pm

Hi Ken

You should send your opinions to Ofcom by 5pm tomorrow in response to their two current consultations.  Send two if possible.  The first title is  “NTS - Options for the future.”  The second is “NTS – Call termination Market review”.  The consultation documents, as is usual for Ofcom, are complex and almost impenetrable on first reading: For that matter on any number of readings. Just tell them what you think of 087x and 084x numbers, any response is better than none.

Look at the following topics for further information:

“Ofcom targets competition and consumer safeguards”
“Ofcom bends the truth again. Can we trust them”
“A solution for Ofcom re 087X and 0845”

Others may be of help.

Email your responses to NTS@ofcom.org.uk before 5pm Friday 7 Jan 05, together with an Ofcom cover sheet, obtainable from the Ofcom web site.  If you have a problem finding the cover sheet, you can copy and paste the one in “Ofcom bends the truth again. Can we trust them.”  The 3rd reply.  I have sent the same response to both consultations, as I find the structure of Ofcom’s proposals not a helpful way to respond, but you can respond in any way that suites you.  You may feel that a sort response may be better considering the time available and the forced complexity of the consultations. 

In reality the solutions are simple.

Prohibit all revenue sharing from the 08 category completely. All 08 numbers should be put on the same footing as 01 and 02 numbers.  Organisation not interested in revenue sharing would continue to use their existing 08 number which would cost callers from 3p to 0p/min depending on their telecom provider.

Organisations who have to have a share of the revenue to exist, should move to an appropriate 09 category, where call charges could be set in the range 1p to 150p/min.  (1p could be used for internet dial up) The costs to the consumer would be transparent for all to see, if the cost was set too high, market forces would decide who survived.  The 09 classification was set up for revenue sharing and ICSTIS regulation would automatically apply to any call costing more than the UK Universal Rate of 3p/min during the day.

Having clandestine revenue sharing,  which exists under the present 08 classification, should end within weeks, as it is dishonest and should never have been permitted by Ofcom.

KK

IP Logged

kencrisp

Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2005 at 11:55am

Thankyou KK for your reply.  Unfortunately I missed the deadline for responding to the Ofcom consultation.

My feeling is that this scam with the "087" numbers has to have much more publicity so that all telephone users are aware of the hidden charges being made.  The suggestions made to Ofcom regarding changes to the numbering whereby all revenue enhanced calls are made through the "09" system, is great - if they take appropriate action.  I suspect it will end up as a fudge because there is too much big business involved.  An example might make the point:-

Our local Doctors' Surgery has recently changed to an 0870 number.   They claim it has saved them £12,000 in updating a previous conventional system and that they will receive no income from the change.   The installer will get all the excess revenue to pay for the installation and then reap an ongoing profit.   Of course, all the surgery's callers (mainly patients) now pay through the excessive charges for this new system which is of little or no benefit to them, and then provide a stream of income to the installer.  This is tantamount to the surgery deciding that their patients should pay for a new telephone system without even consulting them.  But more importantly, the firms touting the business of new "087" number installations have the potential for enormous turnover and income at the expense of an unaware public.

A visit to the BT website reveals they are ready to issue at least 10 million 087 numbers.  If the above case concerning our surgery is typical there is the potential for £120 billion of busines and is very attractive to those firms.   The fact that most of it might be unnecessary, in my opinion, makes it immoral and highlights the need for a big publicity campaign and prompt action.

Ofcom might respond to the responses to their consultation, but I feel that Watchdog, local newspapers and our MPs etc. will be needed to obtain effective changes.

IP Logged

omy

I came - I saw - I went
home.

Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2005 at 12:25pm

Agreed, kencrisp, but the problem is that 'Watchdog', newspapers etc all tend to have their noses in the 0870 trough - and will turkeys vote for Xmas??  (Particularly when these turkeys are raking in money from covert premium lines!!).

I'm certainly not holding my breath for Ofcom action, old cynic that I am.

IP Logged

kk

Reply #4 - Jan 8th, 2005 at 1:11pm

Hi Ken
Send in a response, as it is only a day late, they may well consider it.  Send a copy as an Ofcom complaint.

KK

IP Logged

kk

Reply #5 - Jan 8th, 2005 at 1:16pm

Hi Ken
Sending Ofcom copy of your comments above would be better than nothing.

KK

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, DaveM, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge