Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
Banned by Alliance & Leicester (Read 152,165 times)
cranhill

Leicestershire
Re: Banned by Alliance & Leicester
Reply #30 - Apr 28th, 2005 at 5:19pm

Hi,
You can pay money in at the Post Office for free. Cheques are paid in using the free envelopes (no stamp required) and cash is paid over the counter (no fee).
Same goes for Barclays as well.
John

IP Logged

bill

Reply #31 - Apr 28th, 2005 at 5:21pm

Quote:
Also, found out another little surprize.  Their envelopes which you can use to deposit cheques by post are not freepost.  I do occasionally have the odd cheque.

Those envelopes are also used to deposit money at the post office, but I'm not sure whether you need a stamp there.
No you don't (and, in my experience, cheques deposited in that way get into my account the next day).

OTOH, why should a bank supply pre-paid envelopes for you to pay cheques into your account?

IP Logged

cranhill

Leicestershire
Reply #32 - Apr 28th, 2005 at 5:31pm

Hi, The cheques/envelopes are collected every afternoon (around 5.30) and delivered to a central point (I think it's Derby for my region) and then sent to the various Banks and Building Societies which belong to the Post Office Scheme. I think there are four banks/societies that belong to it. You can also cash cheques and use your debit card at the Post Office for (if you belong to one of the four banks) for free.

IP Logged

Smasher

UK
Reply #33 - Apr 28th, 2005 at 5:55pm

Quote:
OTOH, why should a bank supply pre-paid envelopes for you to pay cheques into your account?

It's an incentive (or should be) to get the cheque cashed with them.  I don't want to pay 20p for a cheque to be paid into the account which they will benefit from! Roll Eyes

In my case, Nationwide is a leader in this aspect of banking - I have been provided with first class pre-paid envelopes and stationery to pay-in cheques and withdraw via post (Investdirect Account, 4.10% interest Gross). Go Nationwide! Grin

IP Logged

Chalky9

Reply #34 - Apr 28th, 2005 at 6:01pm

I've just been given a warning by A & L for using a geographic phone number. I dialled the quoted number for Internet Banking Enquiries when calling from abroad - 0113-220-1505 - and, when she answered (after at least 5 minutes), the representative said "Are you phoning from home?". When I said "yes" she told me they would refuse to answer my next call to this number because it was for customers from abroad only. I demanded to speak to her supervisor, who rang me back shortly afterwards. He told me that "we only have a limited number of lines to that number and by using it you are preventing customers from abroad from getting through"!

I asked for the name of someone to complain to and was given the following address:

Group MD's Office
Alliance & Leicester
Carlton Park
Leicester
LE19 5UF

I suggest everyone writes and complains at this profiteering at the expense of their customers.
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2005 at 6:16pm by Chalky9 »  

IP Logged

Smasher

UK
Reply #35 - Apr 28th, 2005 at 6:45pm

Or, act with your feet and switch to a competent building society.  You don't deserve to be treated as a second class citizen by someone who is looking after your money.

Then see them moan about loss in profits and watch the staff whine when jobs go abroad.  Hmmph. Angry

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #36 - Apr 29th, 2005 at 3:56pm

Just had my debit card, and for the very first time, in all the banks that have issued debit or credit cards, the ACTIVATION ONLY number is not a freephone number, it was an 0845 number!!

Whilst the call was answered fairly promptly, the customer service agent then tried to sell some optional insurance, to which I declined on the grounds that it was on my paid for phone call.

As for cashing any cheques, I will save the postage, and help keep my local post office in business by depositing cash and cheques down there.  Surely the commission they pay the post office to act as a bank, must be more than the cost of receiving freepost mail.

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

Marshall

Reply #37 - Jun 23rd, 2005 at 9:07pm

I notice that they offer 0845 for premier account holders and 0870 for current account holders, make of that what you will. What I dislike is how they print their contact number on their statements as 08459 26 26 26 (local call rate) hopefully at least they won't be able to use that wording come August, I'll be waiting to see what happens.

However when a big organisation disregard OFCOMS best pratice...

"Organisations should consider making a geographic number available alongside their 0870 / 0845 number to give consumers a choice"

Then you have to look at that organisation as slightly less than reputable, so clean up your act A&L and don't treat your customers as mugs.

IP Logged

Kiwi_g

Reply #38 - Jun 29th, 2005 at 10:34am

Here's a long shot.

I think one might have a case to complain to the Banking Ombudsman since A&L's policy has caused one to lose money.

This would apply to ALL banks who have changed over to NGNs

What do others think?

IP Logged

Smasher

UK
Reply #39 - Jul 13th, 2005 at 11:59am

Quote:
Just had my debit card, and for the very first time, in all the banks that have issued debit or credit cards, the ACTIVATION ONLY number is not a freephone number, it was an 0845 number!!

Whilst the call was answered fairly promptly, the customer service agent then tried to sell some optional insurance, to which I declined on the grounds that it was on my paid for phone call.

As for cashing any cheques, I will save the postage, and help keep my local post office in business by depositing cash and cheques down there.  Surely the commission they pay the post office to act as a bank, must be more than the cost of receiving freepost mail.

I've got to activate my new chip and pin card - did you find or use any geo number?  I've just got a mouthful of abuse from some asshole in the Liverpool call centre when I asked to be transferred or for him to activate it.   Who do they think they are?  If I'd said the same to him, I bet my account would have been closed! Angry Angry

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #40 - Jul 13th, 2005 at 3:35pm

As I found out when I opened an account with them briefly, you cannot actually pay in money via the post office (unless they have changed things since I had an account). Nor can you pay in via a normal bank giro to their accounts. They misrepresent this in their advertising. It is clear that the idea is to use as many tricks as possible, like using NGNs to grab revenue, which is how they have a higher interest rate than most of their competitors - but for how long I wonder?

What you actually have to do to "pay in via the post office" is to complete the same forms and put them in the same envelope as if you were going to post it, and then take it down to the post office and give it to them in the envelope instead of posting it! I don't consider that to be having the facility to pay in at the post office! I closed my account within 1 month when I discovered all of the tricks, but was able to keep the £50 they gave me to open it at that time on internet!
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2005 at 3:37pm by dorf »  

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #41 - Jul 13th, 2005 at 4:04pm

I've got to activate my new chip and pin card - did you find or use any geo number?  I've just got a mouthful of abuse from somenot a very nice person in the Liverpool call centre when I asked to be transferred or for him to activate it.   Who do they think they are?  If I'd said the same to him, I bet my account would have been closed!

No, I didn't find out the activation geographic number.  That 0845 number transferrs to just one department, and I don't think you can call normal customer services, and get transferred.

At least that was just the once I had to do that.  If you want to call normal customer services then just call their freephone number on 08000 688 638, which is credit cards.  They have an press button option to transfer to current accounts, which then gives you the same menu option as the 0845 number.  After that just complete the call normally.  No need to call the "call from abroad" geo number, where they know full well you've called it, which started this thread in the first place.

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #42 - Jul 13th, 2005 at 4:12pm

What a stupid and inept organization to determine whether or not you are based in the UK solely based upon CLIP. I live in the United States. I occasionally use VOIP to telephone the UK. The CLIP is often a UK number, depending upon which method used. A+L would therefore receive a UK CLIP but I would not be calling from the UK. I really wish I had an account with A+L so I could see whether they would make me call the extortion number.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

Smasher

UK
Reply #43 - Jul 13th, 2005 at 8:50pm

By the way, for the attention of Moderator/Daniel, re the entry in the database for Alliance & Leicester for 0845 608 8860 as the 0800 4096700 number - it isn't the same number so you may want to edit that or remove it.  The 0800 4096700 goes through to a menu which offers option 2 for existing customers, then tells them that they should phone the "national rate" number. Angry

Looks like I'll have to activate it on the 0845, but very grudgingly.  I only use their current account because I like to deposit cash and cheques via my local post office and hence keep it in business.  Nationwide is much better otherwise.

IP Logged

Smasher

UK
Reply #44 - Jul 16th, 2005 at 9:26am

Just activated the card on the 0845 number, but I'm puzzled as to why they only asked for the 16-digit number across the card, my name and address!  Anyone who'd nicked the envelope would have known that!

Also I was kept on for 5 mins while I was lectured about protecting my identity ???. Btw, the company who operates this is Card Protection Plan (CPP), not A&L.  I asked about a geo alternative and was told that although it costs more, this 0845 provides a "secure line" so nobody can tap in to the call. ???

Also, with regard to 01132 541 566 as the alternative to the Current Account 0870 number, they don't use CLI for determination. I guess calls through that number must go to a different department, because the moment my call was answered the other day (when I was trying to be cheeky and bypass the 0845 activation line Grin) she said I was calling an international number, and I said "um, I'm in Dublin".  Of course, this dug me into a big hole about how I'd received my card and why I wanted to activate it while on holiday! Embarrassed  The bottom line is that they don't seem to know whether you are calling from abroad - if you withold your number then they can't find out as it's a normal geo number.  With an 08x number it is possible to find out the CLI.  Although if you use the credit card enquiry number as Shiggaldi detailed above then you don't need to put up a fight with them Wink

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Dave, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge