Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Banned by Alliance & Leicester (Read 151,635 times)
janzon

Banned by Alliance & Leicester
Jan 15th, 2005 at 6:18pm

I have today been banned by A&L from using their 0113 number rather than their 0845 (at least 10 minutes waiting to do your telephone banking) number.

I told them I couldn't phone non-geographical numbers from my phone and said I would have to close my accounts if I couldn't use the 0113 No. The lady said tough but from now any request about my accounts would be terminated if I use that number.

Anybody else with similar experiences?

IP Logged

bill
Ex Member

Alliance & Leicester geographical contact numb
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2005 at 7:20pm

Of course, if you’re abroad when you call (as many of us are when we need to call) the only option is the geographical number A&L publish for the purpose - +44 113 220 1505 (0113 220 1505). 

I'm just about to try it.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Re: Banned by Alliance & Leicester
Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2005 at 7:31pm

ye gods  Angry

A complaint (or polite enquiry?) to Ofcom must be a good start. The more so with the just ended consultation.

But thank you for the warning. I will mention this when replying to their regular mailshots...

IP Logged

reggie

Reply #3 - Jan 15th, 2005 at 9:30pm

I can't believe it. This seems quite outrageous.Have you told the guy who did the You and Yours feature onBBC4?

IP Logged

reggie

Reply #4 - Jan 15th, 2005 at 9:31pm

Sorry me again but how did they know?

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #5 - Jan 15th, 2005 at 10:36pm

Are you sure you are calling the equivalent number, not a geographical number that goes to a different department? If you keep calling on the wrong number and they have to put you through, they are bound to get annoyed.

0113 220 1505 is given as "internet banking helpdesk" on this site. Is that what you wanted?

IP Logged

janzon

Reply #6 - Jan 16th, 2005 at 4:48pm

The number I have been using is the one given on this site as general queries. I have used it for 8 or 9 months without any problem and have never had to be transferred to a different department.

The number somebody suggested to the internet banking team is not the one I need. I do all my banking on the internet but regularly need to call the telephone banking team to authorise post office withdrawals above the daily limit. It is from this service I have been banned.

I will try again, this time withholding my telephone number, and say that I'm phoning from Dublin, Paris or somewhere and that I am returning later in the day to make the withdrawal.

IP Logged

lily

Reply #7 - Jan 16th, 2005 at 5:01pm

Same thing happened to me - they refused to talk to me on the geographical number.

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #8 - Jan 16th, 2005 at 5:06pm

Did they actually say "stop using the 0113 number", or did they say "stop using this number".

According to this thread (http://www.saynoto0870.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?board=test;action=display;num=...) the 0113 number you are using is a customer services number (given for international use) that bypasses the usual push-button menu system and gets you straight into a queue to talk to a human. It's not surprising they are detecting this.

I'm sure this number is not the exact geographical number of the one you'd normally have to call as a customer. Of course, if Alliance & Leicester gave you a geographical number for the particular service you want to use, I'm sure you'd be happy to use it.

May I suggest changing banks if they won't be more obliging?

IP Logged

dave_g

Reply #9 - Jan 23rd, 2005 at 8:09pm

I too used to use the 01132541566 number when I needed to talk to the bank, however the staff started refusing to talk to me on that number, suggesting that I should use the local rate number. Fortunately I do not have to call them that often, so it is not such a major problem for me.

The more people that do call, the more chance that they might provide a geographic number.

IP Logged

bendipa

Reply #10 - Jan 23rd, 2005 at 11:52pm

I have today been banned by A&L from using their 0113 number rather than their 0845 (at least 10 minutes waiting to do your telephone banking) number.

If they said that to me, I'd happily walk. Don't forget, your business pays their wages. I'm with Nationwide, that still use geographic numbers, and provide full banking services including credit  and debit cards. Give them a try.

Peter

IP Logged

kjones

Reply #11 - Jan 24th, 2005 at 1:35am

I wonder if that's why A & L offer a good interest rate on bank accounts - we, the customer are paying for it indirectly!!

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #12 - Jan 24th, 2005 at 10:17am

Quote:
I wonder if that's why A & L offer a good interest rate on bank accounts - we, the customer are paying for it indirectly!!
More to the point, the dividend they are paying their shareholders. Another plus point when it comes to Nationwide - the customers are the shareholders.

IP Logged

haggard

I love Saynoto0870

Wilmslow
Re: Banned by Alliance & Leicester   Me t
Reply #13 - Jan 24th, 2005 at 12:02pm

Well, not quite banned, but almost.

I got through on the geogr line to A&L, but the procedure was a serious blow to good customer relations. I wonder how long A&L can keep it up.  In the space of 10 minutes, they lost my good-will for ever.  They shot both their feet off.
• I wanted to increase my mortgage by a large amount.  i.e. I wanted to pay them more money.
• I Called the geog number 0116 201 1000 and asked for mortgage services.
• "Sorry, we can't put you through from here, I'll give you their number, it's 0870 ...."
• Sorry, I interrupt,  I can't get through on that number because I have agreed with my business partner on this number that our service provider blocks all premium rate numbers like 0870, 0845 and the 090s.
• Then I can't connect you.
• It is unacceptable that I cannot phone my mortgage provider when I need to.  What heppens if I am abroad and something crops up?  The phone bill last year to listen to your music while I was on hold was £37.50, that is why we blocked those numbers.  It is all unacceptable.  I am a customer.
• Well there is no connection from this number, I can't physically put you through.
• When did that change then?  I got through just before Christmas.  I think you are beiong economical with the situation there, in fact I don't say it is a lie but it must be as close to a lie as it gets.
• Long silence.
• Will you please wait.   (an order not  a question)
• After 10 mins I get "customer service".  There is no "Hallo my name is Sharon, how can I help you?"
• The business is concluded but everything took place in a climate of ice.

I have been battling against this for 2 to 3 years.  It was even on North West Local TV News where they called Alliance and Leicester and played the banal "Your call is important to us blah blah."   We know why the call is important to them, it makes them money.

I think Alliance and Leicester are one of the worst offenders.    I need to change mortgager next year and they are bottom of the list.

What we do to put pressure on them?
Ofcom can't be the only lot to complain to.  What about banking regulators?

Anyway,  bottom line is congratulations on this web site.  All power to you.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #14 - Jan 24th, 2005 at 1:03pm

This was the response from the NatWest when I complained about its use of rip-off numbers. I pointed out that its on-line banking facility gives an 0870 number for the reporting of suspected fraud. I also pointed out that for people such as myself who are resident overseas, if we had cause to believe fraud had taken place, then we cannot usually dial such numbers to report the fraud. The response shows how interested NatWest is in providing a service. Needless to say, on my next visit to the UK, my accounts with these cretins will be terminated.

>>>

Thank you for your feedback received via our web site. NatWest has a policy
of continuous improvement and places great importance on customer feedback.

The comments that you have made have been taken forward to form part of our
discussions for future enhancements. I would like to assure you that we are
committed to providing a first class banking service.

Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback as we are
continually looking for ways to improve our services.

Yours sincerely

Harrogate E-Messaging Team

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, DaveM, bbb_uk, Dave, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge