Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
What will Ofcom do? (Read 64,640 times)
Gazzer

Don't be shafted by 0870.

Re: What will Ofcom do?
Reply #15 - Feb 4th, 2005 at 9:42pm

While we are on the subject of mobile phones. Mobile phones in the US cost the same to dial as a normal landline.

IP Logged

bill
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Feb 4th, 2005 at 10:16pm

Quote:
While we are on the subject of mobile phones. Mobile phones in the US cost the same to dial as a normal landline.

But the cellphone subscriber has to pay to receive the call.

IP Logged

mikeinnc

Ofcom - quis custodiet
ipsos custodes?

Perth Western Australia
Reply #17 - Feb 8th, 2005 at 5:37am

Increasingly, that is no longer true - and when it is, it is often only for inter-network calls. Intra-network calls (ie from a subscriber on the same network) are generally 'incoming toll free'.

I pay $60.00 (approx 30 pounds) for unlimited calls (in or out), anywhere in the US, at any time and for any length of time. Call forwarding, call messaging, caller ID etc all included....... Grin

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #18 - Feb 24th, 2005 at 1:05pm

So if Ofcom implement their plan to introduce different charging bands within 0845/0870, what will that actually mean?

BT will be the only company which will have to upgrade billing equipment to cope with it all. For other providers, it will be up to their ‘commercial discretion’. So how much will it cost and will it be worth other telcos charging different rates, or will we end up with a state where BT is still the cheapest for these calls? Of course, BT terminate most of these calls anyway.

Maybe some telcos will charge just one rate; that being the highest. For those that do, will they keep the additional revenue? So, for example, for an 0844 charged at 1p/min for BT customers, the terminating provider might get 0.5p/min. For an originating provider charging 5p/min to this number, they presumably pay the terminating provider 0.5p/min. The 0.5 figure may be completely wrong, but obviously must be less than 1p, and serves to illustrate my point.

So they apparently make a whopping profit! Is this the way it will actually work? Does anyone in the industry have other suggestions?

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Feb 24th, 2005 at 2:27pm

Quote:
So they apparently make a whopping profit! Is this the way it will actually work? Does anyone in the industry have other suggestions?

Regarding your other comments in the thread which you then very annoyingly closed down and directed here (is that just to show that a moderator has special powers) I would reply as follows:-

What the industry has to gain out of no change in the current setup is lots of filthy lucre.  What they have to lose is lots of filthy lucre.  It isn't just the call centres on these 0845 and 0870 numbers who make lots of extra money from 084/7 NGNs  - so do BT, Cable & Wireless and all the other big telcos.  Because the termination rate is higher than for geographic calls, even after they have handed most of the dosh to the service provider running the call centre.  Do you think BT earn anything at all out of non geographic calls originating on their network but carried by another call carrier and then terminated by BT again?  Do you think Mr Darren Thomas of Blue Telecom could afford to carry the calls for us at only 1p a time if there was any decent money at all left for BT in terminating geographic calls carried by their rivals?

BT commercial doesn't want to give up 084/7 NGN revenue sharing any more than the rest of them but BT's big corporate social and responsible side can see the 0845/0870 scam has now gone too far now so has to be stopped.

Ofcom's position is dictated by all this "light touch" nonsense from the government that they claim to believe in for commercial regulation.  Its a shame the government don't seem to believe in this "light touch" when it comes to the incarceration of people in their own homes under house arrest on the merest suspicion of terrorist connections or for that matter even in terms of current increasingly draconian prison sentencing policy.  I think you can see the inconsistency in the New Labour logic here?

I still think there is hope that Ofcom will ban 084/087 revenue sharing and make all the parties concerned move over to 09 and ICSTIS if they really have the nerve to carry on with it.  But I think Ofcom will be under a lot of pressure from the big boys running the call centres (eg the BBC and Capita) not to come up with this conclusion.

I have no problem with all current 09 service apart from ISP technical help lines.  With this one exception virtually all other 09 services do seem to be added value products that would not exist without revenue sharing being in place.  And so long as there are clear announcements about the price and so long as the customers are not captive (as they are not for adult chat lines and legal advice lines) then where exactly is the problem.

084/087 on the other hand converts calls offering no added value into premium rate calls without most consumers either being aware or the cost or having an option to take their business elsewhere.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #20 - Feb 24th, 2005 at 2:49pm

Quote:
Regarding your other comments in the thread which you then very annoyingly closed down and directed here (is that just to show that a moderator has special powers) ...

I didn't think that my point had anything to do with BBC Watchdog. I haven't closed the other thread down, and I've changed the wording at the end of my post.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Feb 24th, 2005 at 3:02pm

Quote:
I didn't think that my point had anything to do with BBC Watchdog. I haven't closed the other thread down, and I've changed the wording at the end of my post.

I thought it was the 0870/0990 thread we were previously talking about all this in so my mistake.

I did try to reply to your last message in the Watchdog thread though but the system said I didn't have the rights to?  So it looked like you had somehow stopped me from replying there?  But perhaps I did something wrong.

IP Logged

lavillegour

We'll All Be Dead in 100
Years !

Reply #22 - Feb 28th, 2005 at 8:40pm

I actually had the gall to query, and make suggestions in reply to a somewhat bland OFCOM response to me recently.

Shown below is their response to me .

It seems (and some of you are probably well aware of this) that the matter is over. They have made their judgement and this on the ntsoption/ website address shown below !

Are we "A consumer group " by any chance ?

STARTS :

" 0870 Number charges

Thank you for your recent correspondence to Ofcom about the above matter. 

I am able to confirm that you have received Ofcom’s position in full regarding 0870 number charges. As explained a consultation has recently taken place - 

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/ntsoptions/ ; which is to obtain a clear picture from consumer groups and others concerning this matter.

When the results have been recorded they will be made available via the Ofcom website. 

Yours sincerely

::Leonard Martin

Telecoms Support
contact@ofcom.org.uk "

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Feb 28th, 2005 at 8:56pm

Quote:
It seems (and some of you are probably well aware of this) that the matter is over. They have made their judgement and this on the ntsoption/ website address shown below !

No the matter is not over and they have not made their final judgement.  That process is going on now. Why on earth do you think that Cornish MP has put his Early Day Motion in the House of Commons just at this moment?

Ofcom wanted to do nothing originally other than saying more different priced 0845 and 0870 call rates would be a solution that would produce more competition.  But unexpectedly from their point of view (Ofcom normally get about 5 respondents to their endless consultations) they have got negative feedback on their proposals from 85%+ of the large number of respondents.  This includes both a lot of angry private individuals and BT and the Ofcom Consumer Panel who both say that the Ofcom proposed Option 2 won't help anyone.

So its most likely that 0870 revenue sharing will be abolished but not so sure what will happen to 0844 & 0845 (also legitimately being used by PAYG ISPs) or the deadly slumbering trojan of 0871.  BT recommends abolishing 0870 revenue share but letting it remain on 0871 with no ICSTIS type controls on 0871.  I am sure that those of you with just a little imagination can guess what 0870 merchants would do if 0871 was allowed to remain.

But old proverb say man from BT he often speak with forked tongue and cannot be trusted.  For instance is it not that same BT who just declared 6am to 8am in the morning (when many people are still asleep) to now be part of the weekday daytime peak rate phone call period.  Presumably next month they will extend the evening peak from 6pm until 10pm?  And Ofcom will just roll over and say it is ok.

In short it is not too late to influence the outcome but please express your views to the man at the top of Ofcom (Stephen Carter) and not to those stuffed dummies in the Ofcom Contact Centre.
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2005 at 8:56pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

kk

Reply #24 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 9:22am

Hi NGM
Do you have a favourite email address for (Mr S Carter) Ofcom?

KK

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 9:30am

Quote:
Hi NGM
Do you have a favourite email address for (Mr S Carter) Ofcom?

stephen.carter@ofcom.org.uk

This gets acknowledgements from his secretary.  Or you could also include

kip.meek@ofcom.org.uk
matt.peacock@ofcom.org.uk

Then your views might be registering directly with the people controlling what is actually going to happen at Ofcom and not with the low paid customer service ciphers who just give out irrelevant and outdated stock responses.

IP Logged

kk

Reply #26 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 11:12am

Many thanks - MGM

KK

IP Logged

IainMacCallum

Reply #27 - Mar 3rd, 2005 at 5:18pm

According to a phone call today from Geoff Brighton, Ofcom "need to understand more of the potential consumer reaction to a range of proposals." They are (have already?) putting this out to "focus groups" which will be managed by some "professional" external body.

Don't expect to hear anything before June (2005).

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Mar 3rd, 2005 at 11:09pm

[quote author=IainMacCallum  link=1107020501/15#27 date=1109870283]
According to a phone call today from Geoff Brighton, Ofcom "need to understand more of the potential consumer reaction to a range of proposals." They are (have already?) putting this out to "focus groups" which will be managed by some "professional" external body.

Don't expect to hear anything before June (2005).[/quote]
Isn't that how new Labour formulates all its policy and how come none of us are on those focus groups or even got the chance to apply for them?

I bet these groups will be spun to come up with the answers that Ofcom thinks will be acceptable for the business interests of its bros in the telecoms industry.

These people will be a typical dumb cross section of the general public who won't understand the issues so will say they think 0845 and 0870 are ok so long as they aren't called "local rate" and "national rate" any more and so long as there is a price announcement before each call.

Ofcom will not come out and recommend the banning of 0870 and 0845 revenue sharing, even though no less a party than BT has asked for this to happen.  This is because 0870 is New Labour stealth tax policy and Ofcom just does as it is jolly well told by the Labour Government.

The focus groups will just be used to prove that we who responded to the Ofcom consultation so vigorously are unrepresentative fanatics and that the majority of telecoms consumers are still not concerned about this issue.

I will ask Geoff Brighton (geoff.brighton@ofcom.org.uk) how they are selecting the focus groups and how I can apply to be on one.

By the way if Geoff Brighton has called you why hasn't he called me?  I have spoken to hime enough in the past.

IP Logged

IainMacCallum

Reply #29 - Mar 4th, 2005 at 9:38am

Because he was out when I phoned him.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Dave, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge