Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
GP 0870 numbers could be banned (Read 108,441 times)
juby

Gloucestershire
Re: GP 0870 numbers could be banned
Reply #30 - Feb 12th, 2005 at 9:27pm

Andy9,

The simple fact is they will appoint a receiver.  (All the assets and  none of the liabilities), thereby wiping out the debt to doctors, patients and anybody else caught along the way.

Also preventing the prospect of being sued for mis-selling.

So watch out for any similar company starting up, particularly the directors.

It is possible of course that NEG could stand this, because the cost of the promised telephone exchange to doctors is only about £600. But that is another thing.............

J

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Feb 12th, 2005 at 11:43pm

I just thought I should point out the even more unacceptable nature of the increased calling costs for any of the poorest members of the population who need to call a doctors surgery from a BT Callbox.

The cost of a 15 minute call from a BT Callbox to a uk geographic phone number at any time is only 30p but the cost of a 15 minute call to an 0845 or an 0870 number is now £1.65, following BT's decision to exclude 0845 and 0870 numbers from the 15 minutes for 30p deal even though they were included in it until some time late in 2004.

This decision by BT is all the more extraordinary in view of the contents of BT's submission to Ofcom on NTS Options for the Future to be found here:- www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/ntsoptions/Responses/btrev.pdf

In this submission BT suggests that revenue sharing on 0845 and 0870 numbers should be banned and that in future these calls can only be charged for by any telecoms provider at the same rate as they charge for other uk local and national geographic rate phone calls.  So it seems strange that BT's Payphone division seems wholly unaware of this proposed future BT policy in their recent payphone pricing changes.

Can I suggest that you email kath.embleton@bt.com (the contact named in BT's response) expressing your dismay at BT's massively increased call prices for 0845 and 0870 calls in their phone boxes which now cost 450% more a minute than for a geographic phone call.  This compares with no price premium for 0845 calls and a price premium of only 150% for 0870 calls when called using BT Option 1 on a weekday daytime from a home landline.

Whilst emailing Kath you may also wish to copy in the real villains on this matter in the form of the following members of the BT board:-  ben.verwaayen@bt.com; pierre.danon@bt.com; paul.reynolds@bt.com; ian.livingston@bt.com

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #32 - Feb 13th, 2005 at 5:21am

The idea that the surgeries give out the geographical number is a good one. However, I do wonder whether it is NEG that changes the geographical number and whether it discloses this to the surgery. It may be that it is written in the contract that the surgery must not disclose the number. It could also be a VoIP system, in which case there will be no alternative.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Feb 13th, 2005 at 10:10am

Quote:
It may be that it is written in the contract that the surgery must not disclose the number. It could also be a VoIP system, in which case there will be no alternative.

In my position as a local district councillor I have recently been challenging our Head of IT over his setting up of two 0845 numbers in connection with our new dual wheely bin recycling friendly refuse collection scheme.  The use of 0845 numbers was never specifically approved by any councillor or council committee and are our first non geographic numbers, apart from an 0845 number for a new telephone bill payment system that our same head of IT introduced about 3 months ago using the excuse that the out of house supplier of this platform did not offer geographic numbers, and that the only other possible option would have been an 0800 number, which would have cost the council a small fortune.

His excuse for using 0845 numbers for the wheely bin scheme (actually answered by council staff in the council offices and not outsourced) is that to have known the real geographic phone numbers at the time the leaflets were printed would have required him to have ordered the additional fixed phone lines supporting this service for our DDI PBX from BT several months early, thereby incurring additional phone line rental costs for which he did not have authority.  But he just simply seems to refuse to accept (a vision of an ostritch springs to mind) that 0845 calls are vastly more expensive for many of our residents than calls to geographic phone numbers, especially those poorest citizens who need to use a BT phone box to make an 0845 call.  He also seems to be unaware of the existence of intelligent call routing on geographic phone numbers which the latest guidance from the COI now confirms does exist (see www.coi.gov.uk/documents/ccg-update.pdf).  Although I bet that geographic Intelligent Call Routing would have to be paid for by the call recipient rather than being offered "free" (or rather at the caller's expense) as happens with 084/087.

One interesting point that did emerge from all this though was that the 0845 numbers we are using allegedly do not have a geographic DDI equivalent and that supposedly this will only be available when BT lines specifically allocated to the team involved are installed.  I actually find this rather hard to believe but that is what I have been told.

Does anyone have any idea how Ofcom is going to jump on this one?  It must upset them that things have now got too hot even for the BT board on this even though Vodafone have of course put in a predictably sickening response saying that there is no need for any change and that most of their customers think that using a mobile phone represents remarkabable value for money!
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2005 at 10:18am by N/A »  

IP Logged

lompos
Supreme Member

Reply #34 - Feb 13th, 2005 at 10:31am

I have applied under the FOI to the PCT (Primary Care Trust) to disclose the telephone number they are using for calling the GP who now has an 0870 number for patients' use.

I deliberately did not ask the GP himself to disclose this information because, being contractors to the NHS, they are likely to be able to refuse claiming  commercially confidentiality.

Will let the Forum know in 20 days time (or earlier)what answer I get from the PCT.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Feb 13th, 2005 at 10:39am

Quote:
I have applied under the FOI to the PCT (Primary Care Trust) to disclose the telephone number they are using for calling the GP who now has an 0870 number for patients' use.

I trust you will also be pointing out to the PCT that calling an 0870 number will cost their poorest patients 450% more a minute from a BT phonebox (for the first 15 minutes) than a call to a geographic uk phone number.

Also that even for people with a BT landline in their home the cost of a call to an 0870 number for anyone on BT Option 1 is 150% more than to a geographic uk phone number whilst for a BT Option 3 customer the increased cost is 7.51p per minute versus 0p per minute, with the percentage increase therefore involved being infinity.

IP Logged

lompos
Supreme Member

Reply #36 - Feb 13th, 2005 at 10:40am

The following letter was published in the Islington Tribune on 4 February:

I learnt with dismay that my GP recently changed his telephone number to an 0870 premium rate number at the same time displaying a poster in reception with the disinformation that 0870 numbers are ‘national rate’ not ‘premium rate’ and without stating the cost of 0870 calls.

0870 numbers are premium rate numbers, as acknowledged by BT.  They cost 8p/min to the caller out of which the called party (the GP) gets 3p/min and 5p/min is shared by BT and the company who set up the 0870 service.

When ringing for an appointment recently I was made to hang on for 8 minutes without the call being answered.  This cost me 64p, the GP made a 24p profit and I got nothing out of the call except listening to repeated messages that the receptionists were busy.  Normally I would have only have paid 8p for this (abortive) call as I use a telephone service provider which only charges 1p/min for national calls (BT charge 3p/min).

The NHS is supposed to be free at the point of use.  GPs receive an income of some £60-£70,000 and all their expenses are reimbursed.  There are many elderly patients whose income is a fraction of what GPs earn.  It is shameful that they should impose a levy on their patients for contacting them.

By using an 0870 contact number The GPs are also in clear breach of their contracts with the NHS according to which they must not charge patients for treatment.  Making appointments is an integral part of treatment. GPs should be stopped from profiteering from their patients. 

The Central Office of Information advises all public bodies that they should always clearly communicate the cost of telephone call) to customers on publicity materials  and this should not use any misleading terms such as ‘local’, ‘national rate’  and that  premium rate revenue generation numbers should never be used for public services.

What is the NHS if not a public service?

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Feb 13th, 2005 at 10:46am

Quote:
The following letter was published in the Islington Tribune on 4 February:

A good letter but a pity that it was not published in The Times and also sent to the Cabinet Minister responsible for the NHS and also to the CEO of the NHS.  Plus of course also to one's own MP.

If you were the writer of the letter in the Islington Tribune perhaps you might also like to consider those possible additional courses of action.

Not so sure you are right about the NHS always being free at the point of delivery though?  What about prescription charges for instance?  Although admittedly these are not paid by the poorest and oldest members of the community.

IP Logged

lompos
Supreme Member

Reply #38 - Feb 13th, 2005 at 10:53am

TO: NONGEOGRAPHICAL MAN

Rest assured, this has been done.  Here is the relevant passage from the letter to Islington PCT (Primary Care Trust) which asked for the disclosure of the GP's geographical number under the FOI:

I refer to earlier correspondence when I informed you that the St Paul's Road Medical Centre changed its telephone number for patients in January 2005 to an 0870 premium rate revenue generating telephone number:  0870 429 9618.  These numbers can cost patients, many of whom are of limited means, from 7.51 p/min to 10 p/min depending on their telephone service provider.

If patients were to use a normal geographical number, they would only be charged from 3 p/min to 0 p/min depending on their telecom provider. Examples of zero cost are: BT Option 3, Tiscali Anytime Saver and call1899. 

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Feb 13th, 2005 at 11:19am

Quote:
If patients were to use a normal geographical number, they would only be charged from 3 p/min to 0 p/min depending on their telecom provider. Examples of zero cost are: BT Option 3, Tiscali Anytime Saver and call1899.  

A pity though that you didn't manage to mention the huge extra calling cost from a phone box compared to calling a standard geographic uk phone number from the same location.

I would also suggest raising this issue with your MP.

I am going to ask the COI why their advice on the use of non geographic numbers does not also appear to apply to local authorities such as district councils and county councils, all of which are public bodies.

IP Logged

kk

Reply #40 - Feb 13th, 2005 at 11:21am

Hi NonGeographicalMan

Re: Reply 35

Plenty of useful information re telephone call box prices.  Do you have a definitive reference for the above costs, as I intend to use this information in my many complaint letters.  What surprises me is that 0845 and 0870 appear to cost the same via a call box.

KK

KK

IP Logged

kk

Reply #41 - Feb 13th, 2005 at 11:39am

And -  re reply 31

KK

IP Logged

kk

Reply #42 - Feb 13th, 2005 at 11:47am

Hi Lompos

Re Reply no 34

GPs do come under the FIA - sch 1 part 3. 

KK

KK

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #43 - Feb 13th, 2005 at 11:49am

Quote:
What surprises me is that 0845 and 0870 appear to cost the same via a call box.
KK

No calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers from a BT Payphone box no longer cost the same as other geographic uk phone calls - they now cost a premium price of 10p for 55 seconds at all times.  Amazingly BT do not even charge a lower price for their so called "lo call" 0845 numbers.

Until some date near the end of 2004 BT were giving the 15 minutes for 30p deal on 0845 and 0870 numbers but they then withdrew this because in the words of one of the staff on the BT Payphones Helpdesk (0800 252541) "they did not think the percentage of calls made to these numbers would be a problem but it has turned out to be a problem" so was losing BT Payphones division lots of money since they must pay the terminating call party at least 5p+ per minute in the weekday daytime when they were only receiving 2p per minute for the call.

The BT Payphones website at www.payphones.bt.com/publicpayphones/paymentprices.htm merely now says these calls are excluded from the 15 minuites for 30p deal but it does not say what the calls actually do cost.  For this you will need to call one of the BT Payphones call advisers.  Or you can try and consult the full BT price list to try and find it hidden somewhere there in the deliberately incomprehensible and badly laid out labyrinthine depths of their list.  Of course they could alternatively just have told us that the calls cost 11p per minute in their main pricing section for BT Payphone but for some strange reason they choose not to.

Perhaps some of you may feel like calling BT Payphones on one of their 0800 support shown at www.payphones.bt.com/contactus/bytelephone.htm (sadly they are not open on Sundays) or by sending an email to payphonespaperwork@bt.com or alternatively to ben.verwaayen@bt.com (BT's CEO)
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2005 at 12:09pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

kk

Reply #44 - Feb 13th, 2005 at 11:55am

Thanks for the info.  I will ring on Monday.

KK

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, DaveM, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge