Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
How can we improve Saynoto0870? (Part 1) (Read 69,535 times)
dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Re: How can we improve Saynoto0870?
Reply #30 - Apr 8th, 2005 at 7:05pm

Having had my icon stolen I have attempted twice to download a unique one. It seems that you can only download one from a web site, which seems rather peculiar.

Then when you attempt to do that it does not seem to work? Dave, have you got any suggestions? Has anyone ever actually been able to do this? Why can you not download one in a normal way?

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #31 - Apr 8th, 2005 at 7:14pm

Quote:
Having had my icon stolen I have attempted twice to download a unique one. It seems that you can only download one from a web site, which seems rather peculiar.

AFAIK you can't upload avatars onto Saynoto0870. You can link to one from another site. If you have your own site, you could put it on there.

I suppose if someone wanted to 'steal' your avatar, there's nothing you can do as it's just like a picture on a website.
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2005 at 4:02pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

UK
Reply #32 - Apr 10th, 2005 at 7:51pm

I have tried that (putting it on one of my own sites) but I have not been able to get it to link successfully.

I repeat my question - has anyone ever actually been able to do this yet and get a successful working icon installed from their own site or another url?

In the mean time I have borrowed yours - no it's a joke only; I will discard it again as soon as you have seen it!

IP Logged

juby

Gloucestershire
Reply #33 - Apr 10th, 2005 at 9:28pm

Dorf, you are not paying attention!

1. I sent you an IM yesterday.

You are welcome to help yourself to any picture on my site if you want.

I changed my avatar three times yesterday.

juby

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #34 - Apr 11th, 2005 at 9:18pm

There are an increasing number of new members requesting geographical numbers without posting basic information. Why do people not look at the thread ** Before posting, please read this for tips ** at the top of the Requests section, which points to the Guide? How could it be made clearer (short of jumping out of the screen and hitting them in the face).

Do they think that there is some magical way of finding them? Do they think that we are psychic?  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2005 at 9:19pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Apr 11th, 2005 at 11:03pm

Quote:
Do they think that there is some magical way of finding them? Do they think that we are psychic?  Roll Eyes

Perhaps these are the same bunch of ever optimistic people who buy £5 worth of lottery tickets twice a week every week or who rack up their mobile phone bill by playing the text question game on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire.

As the old saying goes there's one born every minute.
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2005 at 4:02pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #36 - Jun 15th, 2005 at 1:14pm

Quote:
....There are quite a few improvements being planned - including searching on all numbers (including unverified), which should be coming fairly soon....

Daniel,

Is it possible in the meantime to amend the text at the top of the Search page and mention about checking the 'Unverified List' (possibly highlighting this in bold) as well?

I believe people are reading the paragraph at the top and searching but are not looking at the bottom of the page where it mentions your unverified list.  I, myself, at first didn't notice this but my excuse(!) is that I still have my resolution on 600x800 and therefore until I scrolled down the page I didn't even know there was an unverified section for us to view.

Many thanks

Kev.
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2005 at 4:03pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

ChickPea
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Jun 23rd, 2005 at 10:53am

Quote:
I think (I would, wouldn't I?) my suggestion about amalgamation etc. is more viable.  The 'Unverified' table is a real mess - as is to be expected because it's just everybody's entries all jumbled together - and is not even in alphabetical order at the start.

Having to search twice is silly when it could be made unnecessary.

That's four-pennyworth now.  I stop there. 

I agree- it's a pain having to scroll through a huge list for a couple of entries.  Why not just have  a checkbox against the search that says: "Include unverified entries", and display the unverified ones in a very distinct manner (e.g. red text or a different colout background)?

How does a number get promoted to "verified", anyway?

For an unverified number, can we have a voting buttom to click to say: "I tried this and it worked"?  Log against ID/password/IP, and if there are enough votes, promote it?  By the same token, there should be a "I used this and it's pants!" button on the "verified" entries- I'm sure some of the companies will change numbers to protect their revenue.

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

UK
Reply #38 - Jul 6th, 2005 at 6:40pm

By the way, I have just realised that I never posted on this topic that I had discovered what the problem with Icons/Avatars is on this site.

For some peculiar reason when you link an Avatar to this forum from a url it is visible only to those who use IE. It seems that only IE displays those Avatars. I have tried three other browsers and none of them show any of these Avatars including Firefox which is the one I normally use.

So guys - it seems your personal Avatars which you think are linked to this site and that everyone can see are only seen by those using IE!

IP Logged

ChickPea
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Jul 6th, 2005 at 6:54pm

Quote:
By the way, I have just realised that I never posted on this topic that I had discovered what the problem with Icons/Avatars is on this site.

For some peculiar reason when you link an Avatar to this forum from a url it is visible only to those who use IE. It seems that only IE displays those Avatars. I have tried three other browsers and none of them show any of these Avatars including Firefox which is the one I normally use.

So guys - it seems your personal Avatars which you think are linked to this site and that everyone can see are only seen by those using IE!

Beg to differ- I'm using Mozilla and I can see avatars, including those served from URLs.

And I can also on Firefox, IE, and DeepNet.

I think some of your browser options may need attention.
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2005 at 7:04pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

UK
Reply #40 - Jul 6th, 2005 at 8:52pm

What specific attention?

Do you mean a reduction of browser security level? If so I think not. The very reason I use a different browser from IE is that I require a better level of security!

It seems to me (and an increasing number of other thinking users) that a continuously escalating number of site providers who fatuously follow the vane and senseless trend and mandate various security breaching vogue requirements for their web sites to be accessed need to learn the lesson of compatibility.

If you have a shop and you have a big notice in the  window: "Anyone who is not wearing red shoes, a green hat and a pink pullover will not be allowed into this shop to browse or purchase anything," you will very much limit your clientele, your turnover and potential profits. Yet this is what many sites do today, and their young, inexperienced and ignorant constructors have no understanding of commercial constraints and marketing; and their managements have lost or never had proper control of what is going on. They do not understand that compatibility is the name of the game if you want to interface with the maximum volume of traffic possible.

It is all a bit like 0870 numbers really. If a company mandates these then as the word gets around and even the essentially ignorant and inept awake they will loose a great deal of their customers and profits.

IP Logged

ChickPea
Ex Member

Reply #41 - Jul 6th, 2005 at 9:13pm

Quote:
What specific attention?

Do you mean a reduction of browser security level? If so I think not. The very reason I use a different browser from IE is that I require a better level of security!

Not at all.  But some browsers for instance have an option to not render images that are cross-domain.  Have you got such an option switched on?

Also, some firewalls have options to limit cross-site image links.

I have security on for the internet zone, and I have no problems viewing the avatars in any of my browsers.

IE 7.0 is claimed to be a lot more standards-compliant- we'll see.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #42 - Jul 6th, 2005 at 11:53pm

But ChickPea how can we have any confidence at all in the advice of the man who told us that he was doing his customers a favour by letting them call him at "local rate" on his 0845 number!

Personally I would have far more confidence in the advice of a reliable long term forum member like Dorf on such a complex technical matter.

IP Logged

DaveM
Global Moderator

Du vin, du pain,   du
Ibuprofen ¡

Peterborough
Reply #43 - Jul 7th, 2005 at 12:14am

I see you've upset someone else NGM !!

Chickpea just did a runner;  Bye Bye !! Roll Eyes

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #44 - Jul 7th, 2005 at 12:26am

Quote:
I see you've upset someone else NGM !!

It takes one to know one DaveM! Wink  Tongue

At least I think that you are the Dave who spends most of his time trying to upset the forum's valuable members when they express opinions with which you do not personally agree?  Or is that Dave.  I do find it so confusing that you both have the same first name.

As for ChickPea I suspect he has a much thicker skin than you reckon so that we will not have seen the last of him!  Wink Grin Shocked

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, DaveM, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge