Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
How can we improve Saynoto0870? (Part 1) (Read 69,139 times)
Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
How can we improve Saynoto0870? (Part 1)
Feb 13th, 2005 at 3:59pm

This topic was started in Currys branch numbers thread in Geographical Chat section. I thought it more appropriate to continue in its own thread here.

The 'unverified' list can be reached from a button at the bottom of the search page. Maybe more information on how to use the site on the home page.
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2005 at 3:51pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

bill
Ex Member

Re: How can we improve Saynoto0870?
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2005 at 4:17pm

I think (I would, wouldn't I?) my suggestion about amalgamation etc. is more viable.  The 'Unverified' table is a real mess - as is to be expected because it's just everybody's entries all jumbled together - and is not even in alphabetical order at the start.

Having to search twice is silly when it could be made unnecessary.

That's four-pennyworth now.  I stop there.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2005 at 4:44pm

Quote:
Having to search twice is silly when it could be made unnecessary.

That's four-pennyworth now.  I stop there.  

I think what Dave and DaveM actually need are more trusted testers that they could share out the work with in some way.  As this site gets more and more well known the workload in adding new numbers is obviously increasing exponentially.

Although I suppose when this site has really done its job the work will then be more in deleting now redundant 0870 number listings.  Or we can at least dream of the arrival of that great day.

IP Logged

juby

Gloucestershire
Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2005 at 9:15pm

You might not notice it but is coming, the number of small ads in the weekend press were dominated with 0870 numbers.

Now they are scarce and even the traditional home of the 870 number - the travel agents - has started to diminish.

Only one of the major airlines advertising now has the number (British Airways).

The problem won't go away though because when we succeed, which we undoubtedly will, there is 0845 to contend with.
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2005 at 9:16pm by juby »  
IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 3:29pm

The homepage needs more information on how to search for a number. At the same time it needs to be concise and to the point so as to attract the passing visitor. Maybe put brief information on the homepage with links to other pages going into more detail.

Merging the unverifed and verified lists is a good one, just make sure that it is clear which entries are which.

As far as the forums go, I think that "Geographical Numbers Chat" section needs breaking up. How, I'm not too sure. Maybe we could have a new section for talking about particular companies,but not for requesting numbers. This new section would include replies from companies/organisations, FOI requests, posts about companies who refuse to take calls on geographical alternatives etc.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 3:45pm

Quote:
As far as the forums go, I think that "Geographical Numbers Chat" section needs breaking up. How, I'm not too sure. Maybe we could have a new section for talking about particular companies,but not for requesting numbers. This new section would include replies from companies/organisations, FOI requests, posts about companies who refuse to take calls on geographical alternatives etc.

Dave,

I can't agree with you on this.

This forum can hardly be described as a hive of activity compared to many other similar forums on the web.

In those circumstances its actually far better to have all the threads on one place where the few people who look at them are likely to come across them without too much difficulty.
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2005 at 3:52pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #6 - Mar 6th, 2005 at 8:04pm

The layout of the site, in particular the front page, could do with improvement. How about a box to search for a number right there, instead of having to click one of the links at the top? We could take a leaf out of the book of directory enquiries sites such as 118118.com who do just that. The search for a company name or a number should be unified, rather than having separate fields for each.

As for unverified entries, they should be included in the main database, flagged appropriately. There could be a checkbox next to the search field: "Include unverified entries" (perhaps with a small link to a pop-up explaining what it means).

The format of the data also needs sorting out. Some extra fields are needed, and perhaps displaying it as a table isn't the best idea. The "other info" column contains too may different types of data: fax numbers, addresses, etc. When there are branches of a store, we need to know which one a number is for. So should that go in the "Company Name" field or not? Really an extra "Location" field would be useful. Search for "Currys" to see what I'm talking about... The same thing goes for organisations with numbers for different departments.

If the entries were displayed in a sort of "card index" format rather than a table, you could have many different fields: fax, location, premium rate no., comments, etc. They would only be displayed if there was data for that particular entry.

IP Logged

coolsparx

Forest Of Dean, Glos
Reply #7 - Mar 8th, 2005 at 10:40pm

I think the site is fantastic, but I believe it would be greatly improved if the search facility also showed results for "Unverified Entries", but maybe with an asterisk pointing out that it is "not yet verified".

This would save searching twice & may even prevent people trying the site once & never returning because they think the database is too small.

IP Logged

Alegna

Reply #8 - Mar 18th, 2005 at 2:13pm

Is there any reason why I cannot copy and paste my 0870/0845 numbers into the "Search for Alternative No." box?  This would save a lot of time and prevent inaccuracies. ???

IP Logged

pud

Reply #9 - Mar 18th, 2005 at 2:32pm

Quote:
Is there any reason why I cannot copy and paste my 0870/0845 numbers into the "Search for Alternative No." box?  This would save a lot of time and prevent inaccuracies. ???
No.  That's what I do.
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2005 at 3:53pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #10 - Mar 18th, 2005 at 5:22pm

May I suggest that one way to very much improve this site and its effectiveness in the campaign against the abuses with these numbers would be:

1) To add the history and full details of these scams in a separate section of the site, describing all the various tricks being used etc. so that newcomers could quickly get up to date and understand the totality of what is going on;

2) To integrate the campaign action into the site and provide submission templates and other assistance to all who wish to participate in Ofcom responses when there are any new ones.

This would enable the site to be more powerful I think in representing all of these abuses with NGNs, not just those with 0870?

Just a suggestion.

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

coolsparx

Forest Of Dean, Glos
Reply #11 - Mar 21st, 2005 at 6:31pm

Now it's even worse, the "Unverified Entries" which used to be on 1 long page are now on 22 pages.

This makes using the Find facility in Internet Explorer (Ctrl+f or Edit>Find) very tedious to have to repeat the action for 22 pages.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #12 - Mar 21st, 2005 at 8:06pm

Quote:
1) To add the history and full details of these scams in a separate section of the site, describing all the various tricks being used etc. so that newcomers could quickly get up to date and understand the totality of what is going on;

Good idea. This would be useful for journalists researching the subject.
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2005 at 3:53pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Mar 21st, 2005 at 8:33pm

Quote:
Now it's even worse, the "Unverified Entries" which used to be on 1 long page are now on 22 pages.

This makes using the Find facility in Internet Explorer (Ctrl+f or Edit>Find) very tedious to have to repeat the action for 22 pages.

I agree this latest change is a huge step backwards.

It would be better to have them all on one page but in alphabetic order rather than just jumbled as they were before the change.

Beter still integrate them with the main list but show them in a different colour to indicate that they are not checked and so there is a highish probability that there may be a problem.
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2005 at 3:54pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #14 - Mar 21st, 2005 at 9:50pm

Yes that would probably seem to make more sense and could possibly take off the workload pressure of authentication?

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, bbb_uk, DaveM, Dave, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge