Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The UK's privatised telephone network (Read 7,685 times)
Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
The UK's privatised telephone network
Mar 31st, 2005 at 4:05pm

This discussion started in WHERE DID YOU HEAR ABOUT SAYNOTO0870.COM ?? thread in Site Related.

Quote:
I entirely agree, but that is what you get when you "privatise monopolies"! The whole problem goes back to the way in which the previous Conservative government privatised so many state monopolies, without due diligence, in their desparation to get the funds into the govenrment coffers, to conceal the true state of the UK's finances under their economic mismanagement and nepotism. ...

I have to agree with what dorf says above here. It's all a complete farce and  I cannot see that the way it is "run" is nothing more than an excuse to make money at the public's expense whilst running down the quality of service and milking the network infrastructure that is running down our streets.

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Re: The UK's privatised telephone network
Reply #1 - Mar 31st, 2005 at 8:52pm

The principal problem now Dave is of course that although the government saw when these state monopolies were passed into private ownership that there had to be some body to oversee each monopoly, with the power to control things thereafter, to prevent the now private monopoly from holding consumers to ransom as they would naturally do if they had unfettered freedom, almost all of these supposed controlling bodies have failed to deliver and have always made judgements in favour of the vested now private monopolies. This is true in the areas of Water supplies, Sewerage, Energy, railways and most of all Telcommunications.

In Telecommunications Oftel and now Ofcom have completely failed to deliver; they have failed to control pricing, failed to control all manner of scams, have failed to act in the consumers' interest at almost every juncture and have above all failed to execute their responsibilities under the Acts. The vigorous competition from those like 18866 and 1899 seems almost to have occurred despite the discouragement and resistance of Ofcom, rather than because of any efforts that they have made to encourage competition in telecommunications or to create a level playing field.

Although you know that it clearly could not be so, you could be forgiven for almost suspecting that they were being paid to act against the consumers' interest at every turn!
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2005 at 8:53pm by dorf »  

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

TonyB

Innocently looking to
save money!!!!

York
Reply #2 - Apr 1st, 2005 at 11:06am

Hi,
Possibly not the place for this but I saw the 'big guns' here & decided to post.
www.magsys.co.uk has a large amount of telephony comparison tables:- Tariffs,Numbers etc. , which, Dave et al if you havn't already seen this I think you will find very interesting.
I discovered it through a payment to 1899 on card statement.
TB.

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #3 - Apr 1st, 2005 at 11:45am

Hi Tony B,

Yes I have seen their site before. However, although it may be different if you are a paid member, although it is a comprehensive list of providers it does not actually seem ever to "compare" costs, and that I think could be a severe limitation. In other words if you actually wanted to determine the cheapest provider for a particular duration call to a particular location it would seem to involve trawling through all the lists - very time consuming and not egonomic.

The automated solution now provided by MoneysavingExpert is I think much better, although it may not include all of the providers listed in the Magsys database?

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Apr 6th, 2005 at 10:22am

Quote:
Hi,
I discovered it through a payment to 1899 on card statement.
TB.

Tony B you still seem to be using someone else's forum logo/picture.

Can you please change to one of your own.
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2005 at 10:22am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, Dave, bbb_uk, CJT-80, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge