Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
fax over 1899, 18866 (Read 10,351 times)
egri

fax over 1899, 18866
Apr 1st, 2005 at 3:18pm

Could the slightly lower quality connection caused by using 18866 and 1899 cause sending faxes to fail? this would probably be worse for international calls.

IP Logged

egri

Re: fax over 1899, 18866
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2005 at 11:02am

I have a v2 dialer on my fax line that dials 18866 normally, and 1899 for international calls. From viewing my companies fax calls on the 18866 invoice over the past few days I can see that most of the national calls are under a minute long. It would probably be cheaper to program my v2 orchid dialer to dial 0844 861 54 54 - telesavers 1p/min. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #2 - Apr 4th, 2005 at 3:43pm

Posted by: egri Posted on: Today at 11:02am
I have a v2 dialer on my fax line that dials 18866 normally, and 1899 for international calls. From viewing my companies fax calls on the 18866 invoice over the past few days I can see that most of the national calls are under a minute long. It would probably be cheaper to program my v2 orchid dialer to dial 0844 861 54 54 - telesavers 1p/min. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? 

Does your telco company charge a minimum amount per call?

BT for example charge 5p minimum charge, so your call to the 0844 number will still cost 5p unless it lasts over 5 minutes.

Therefore 18866 is still only 1p per call.

Alternatively if you make loads of calls, you might be able to get an inclusive calls package.

Another thing to consider on the 0844 number, is the delay in time from being connected on the 0844 number, to being connected on the number you're calling, as this is chargeable, and might add about 10-15 secs per call, making them automatically more expensive.

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

jase

Reply #3 - Apr 4th, 2005 at 11:05pm

If you're making so many calls that the 3p's make a difference, perhaps the VoIP service might be worth considering?

IP Logged

egri

Reply #4 - Apr 6th, 2005 at 4:21pm

Well I am on BT so that irritating (and unfair) 5p minimum charge does indeed ruin that idea.

However I'm sure there are other prefix numbers you can dial that don't have minimum call charges. I think that Primus have a 1.99p per minute national call charge and no call setup fee. And assuming calls are billed per second, that would be cheaper if faxes last less than a minute.

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #5 - Apr 6th, 2005 at 7:03pm

Surely 18866 is now 2 p per call?

This is the age old issue! You need to know how long any call will be before you make it to choose the cheapest provider with all of the confusion marketing. Like everything else in life you cannot forsee the future exactly. (If only you could, how different things would be!)

If Ofcom mandated a standard costing format for all providers to adhere to we would not have this problem.
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2005 at 7:07pm by dorf »  

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

jase

Reply #6 - Apr 6th, 2005 at 10:54pm

If you're making large numbers of short calls, perhaps a cheap mobile might be the best policy? AIUI they charge per second, and if you use inclusive minutes there is no connection charge of course.

As I say though, if you have a broadband connection a Grandstream adaptor plus 1899 VOIP might be the answer (all calls for free etc).

IP Logged

one

Reply #7 - Apr 7th, 2005 at 11:59am

What is a grandstream adaptor?

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #8 - Apr 7th, 2005 at 4:40pm

If you're making large numbers of short calls, perhaps a cheap mobile might be the best policy? AIUI they charge per second, and if you use inclusive minutes there is no connection charge of course.

There is such a mobile advertised on this site, and there's plenty of other similair deals around if you look.  Don't go for the big flashy mobiles, best get one that does loads of free line rental etc.

Also, you mention that you're doing business, therefore I would assume you need inclusive daytime calls.

This mobile would also come in handy, when calling other mobile phones, rather than use your office phone, as these inclusive minutes are for other mobiles and landlines.

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

jase

Reply #9 - Apr 7th, 2005 at 8:33pm

Quote:
What is a grandstream adaptor?

A box you can get for around £30-40, which provides an emulated landline port into which you can put any ordinary phone (cordless etc). Connect the adaptor to your broadband router, set it up for 1899 access and you're away. You can use any phone connected to the adaptor in exactly the same way you do with a proper landline, but don't pay any connection fees.

This is also a good way of getting a second line for nothing (except the cost of the hardware). You can also sign up to sipgate and get a free incoming number.

IP Logged

egri

Reply #10 - Apr 8th, 2005 at 1:03pm

If you configure the device for sipgate.co.uk you get a free geographical incoming number. If you configure the device for 1899 voip then you get free calls to national numbers. But how do you setup 1899 for outgoing and sipgate for incoming , both at the same time?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, DaveM, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge