Reply #15 - May 17th, 2005 at 1:02pm

Thanks NGM 8)  Something to look forward to I guess... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Re: DVLA
Reply #16 - May 17th, 2005 at 1:27pm

NGM.

I see that our friends? at OFCOM are now displaying there Geographic number on there website ,together with there 0845 one!!!!

BJ.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #17 - May 17th, 2005 at 1:38pm

Quote:
NGM.

I see that our friends? at OFCOM are now displaying their Geographic number on there website ,together with their 0845 one!!!!

They only began displaying their geographic number in  addition to the 0845 number following my complaint to their Chief Executive at the start of 2003.

I keep trying to persuade them that they must withdraw the 0845 number since although they might possibly still leave it in service due to some old publicity material still in circulation (although hopefully it would then simply play an announcement suggesting you call their geographic number instead) they should not be encouraging the public to call a number that will cost many of them far more money.

But they say that in offering an 0845 number they are providing a choice!!  And despite the platitudes mouthed by gentlemen from Ofcom, such as Matt Peacock on Radio 4's You & Yours program, staff on their main switchboard are stll inclined to claim that their 0845 number is only at the "local call rate".

With wooly thinking like that at Ofcom no wonder they haven't managed to ban 0845 or 0870 numbers yet.

IP Logged

IainMacCallum

Reply #18 - May 17th, 2005 at 1:55pm

When will Ofcom's Geographic number be printed on the back of my BT bill instead of their 0845 number?

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #19 - May 17th, 2005 at 2:00pm

Quote:
When will Ofcom's Geographic number be printed on the back of my BT bill instead of their 0845 number?

I have only recently been chasing them on the one listed in the BT phone book and had not realised about the one on the back of the BT bill as well.  I am told that a geographic  number is now listed in the very latest BT phone books for Ofcom but only in addition to and not instead of the 0845 number.

You might care to do the following to attempt to resolve this:-

1. Email melanie.abbott@bbc.co.uk and dan.saladino@bbc.co.uk on their You & Yours program saying that you are a BT consumer who has found yet another way in which Ofcom is stil pushing their 0845 number and would like to be interviewed on this matter to express your discontent.

2. Email matt.peacock@ofcom.org.uk with cc to stephen.carter@ofcom.org.uk indicating your dismay at this further dismal failing on their part to line up all their 0845 and 0870 ducks.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #20 - May 17th, 2005 at 7:05pm

Quote:
I am tempted to suggest that everybody in this forum now calls the DVLA number that the protester complains about at least 10 times a day until the DVLA desists from the use of 0870 numbers. Grin

...or call the top bods...

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #21 - May 17th, 2005 at 10:28pm

Quote:

Dave,

Do you have the direct phone lines for the DVLA's top bods?Smiley

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #22 - May 17th, 2005 at 10:38pm

Quote:
Dave,

Do you have the direct phone lines for the DVLA's top bods?Smiley

Sorry, do you want me to make it even easier for you? Click words "...or call the top bods..." in my post, or . Thanks to an insider who has also posted other government numbers on here.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #23 - May 17th, 2005 at 10:53pm

Oops I didn't spot the link in your previous reply as they just looked like words and weren't underlined etc.

Have you or anyone else here tried calling or emailing any of these people?

What has happened to Dorf and Juby by the way as I notice they don't seem to be following this thread.

IP Logged

mono

Re: General
Reply #24 - May 21st, 2005 at 12:18pm

Hi, totaly new to all this but nice work everyone. I have had success on a few occasions simply by going to the companies annual report online. Generally, hidden away on the last page are numbers for the head office and any branch offices they may have. This has worked four times with me in the last month whilst trying to deal with insurance and finance companies. If this is common knowledge already sorry for wasting the space.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: General
Reply #25 - May 21st, 2005 at 12:32pm

Quote:
Hi, totaly new to all this but nice work everyone. I have had success on a few occasions simply by going to the companies annual report online. Generally, hidden away on the last page are numbers for the head office and any branch offices they may have. This has worked four times with me in the last month whilst trying to deal with insurance and finance companies. If this is common knowledge already sorry for wasting the space.

I suspect it is not common knowledge.

Dave needs to add it to his list of possible ways to find a geographic number.

IP Logged

Smasher

UK
Reply #26 - Oct 2nd, 2005 at 5:41pm

Today's Sunday Mirror features a little article about the DSA and DVLA. See here.

Be warned, it features a comment from OfCOM which actually makes sense Shocked

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #27 - Oct 2nd, 2005 at 7:33pm

Dorf is following this thread NGM.

These days though I do not always feel that I have to contribute specifically if my viewpoint has already been stated by others.

Dorf

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, CJT-80, Dave, DaveM, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge