Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Halifax 0845 response (Read 60,010 times)
Smasher

UK
Re: Halifax 0845 response
Reply #15 - May 30th, 2005 at 9:37pm

Quote:
Oh dear, Smasher!
Methinks you might have offended a sizeable proportion of members with that sweeping, rather childish attack on our esteemed senior citizens, and their ability to cope on the Governments generous handouts!

I did say some pensioners, not all!  And it isn't childish - it's good judgement and common sense.  I'm not the only one who holds this view by any means!

Don't forget that today's pensioners were yesterday's generation some of whom were care-free and couldn't have cared less about pension payment plans and investments... bit like today's middle-aged citizens, don't you think?  They don't seem to realise that they will age and have to retire sometime soon Roll Eyes

Those who used common sense and planned ahead and invested in Pension plans have reaped the rewards.  They shouldn't have to depend on the government to provide for them unless they are disabled, etc.

IP Logged

omy

I came - I saw - I went
home.

Reply #16 - May 31st, 2005 at 7:19am

Most of todays retired lived through the war years, the austerity of the fifties and then, just before retiring find the Chancellor robs their pension funds or have pension companies going bust - it's hardly an 'equitable' life for them, is it Smasher, even for them that DID invest?

IP Logged

firestop

Do unto others, before
they get a chance to
do....

Reply #17 - May 31st, 2005 at 11:37am

If we can get back to the matters in hand!
This morning I got a reply from HBOS, as follows :-

[/color]
....and it is fair to say, as previously detailed, we do profit from using these numbers.
We have had a number of complaints regarding this matter, and whilst we have no plans to amend the telephone numbers we use, I have passed on your comments accordingly.[color=Black]

So keep up the complaining, at least they are getting some, and admitting 0845 give them profit, as well as 0870.

« Last Edit: May 31st, 2005 at 11:40am by firestop »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #18 - May 31st, 2005 at 2:48pm

Quote:
If we can get back to the matters in hand!
This morning I got a reply from HBOS, as follows :-

[/color]
....and it is fair to say, as previously detailed, we do profit from using these numbers.
We have had a number of complaints regarding this matter, and whilst we have no plans to amend the telephone numbers we use, I have passed on your comments accordingly.[color=Black]

Seems that whilst in previous responses included in this thread they deny revenue, then say they do get revenue, at least they admit that there are other complainants. Although it does seem as though their attidude is to leave it as there aren't that many complaining. Does this mean it's OK, or does this mean that if many aren't aware they're being ripped off it's OK?

IP Logged

firestop

Do unto others, before
they get a chance to
do....

Reply #19 - May 31st, 2005 at 2:56pm

Yes, Dave, that seems to be the way they operate.  I would have liked to say that ethically it is indefensible, but, then I remembered, 'ethical' does not appear in bank's dictionaries.
Our only thoughts should be "How do we waken customers up, and get them all to complain"??

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #20 - May 31st, 2005 at 4:26pm

Quote:
...I would have liked to say that ethically it is indefensible, but, then I remembered, 'ethical' does not appear in bank's dictionaries...
I believe 'ethical' doesn't appear in majority of companies'/government department dictionaries - not just banks!

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #21 - Jun 1st, 2005 at 5:34pm

err wrong.

It appears in the co-op bank (smile/co-op bank). If you ask them for a geographic number theyll willingly give you it.
« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2005 at 5:34pm by mc661 »  

IP Logged

nutellajunkie

[GURU MEDITATION]

Alba
Reply #22 - Jul 3rd, 2005 at 3:26am

HBOS dont deserve my custom, and I wouldnt mind seeing Howards being run over by a crazy frog on a motorcycle!

Call 0800/0808/0500 with no credit! True unlimited talk/text/data. PM for recipe.
IP Logged

OverlordKain

Reply #23 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 10:12pm

Quote:
err wrong.

It appears in the co-op bank (smile/co-op bank). If you ask them for a geographic number theyll willingly give you it.

err wrong again.  I hope (not!).

I hope I'm wrong and they've changed, but for three years I lived in the hill overlooking the Pyramid in Stockport (their call centre) and no one would give me their geographic number, least of all the security guard at the front desk!  Sad

HBOS is another matter; I have an 0500 (yes 0500!) number for my personal accounts, and a geo number in Inverness for my business accounts.  That's BoS; Halifax it's all 084x/7x numbers.

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #24 - Nov 5th, 2005 at 4:40am

Quote:
err wrong again.  I hope (not!).

I hope I'm wrong and they've changed, but for three years I lived in the hill overlooking the Pyramid in Stockport (their call centre) and no one would give me their geographic number, least of all the security guard at the front desk!  Sad

HBOS is another matter; I have an 0500 (yes 0500!) number for my personal accounts, and a geo number in Inverness for my business accounts.  That's BoS; Halifax it's all 084x/7x numbers.

try 01695 53760 as a GN for the  08457 212 212
try 0161 477 1927 as a GN for 0870 843 2265
Co-operative Bank
Tel: 0161 832 3456 or 0161 475 7105 or 08457 212 212

helpfull?

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #25 - Nov 8th, 2005 at 11:54am

This is an interesting quote coming from a bank, and one worth remembering.

Quote:
0870 numbers raise funds for the company using it, the longer the customer is waiting, the more revenue the company gets, as they get paid per second the line is in use. This in effect can lead to delinquent behaviour, making it in the company's interest to make the customer wait.

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #26 - Nov 8th, 2005 at 1:38pm

That was once part of their rationale for justifying 0845 as against 0870

... but as they now refuse to give direct numbers to call centres, and some time ago blocked the automatic tranfer from the old switchboard number out of hours, and have several 0870 numbers thenmselves that they say the relevant departments can't be reached from internally, and internal call transfers sometimes get automatically overridden to the wrong department ...

let's just say they could review their position

As for the Co-op Bank, they quite freely give those and other numbers when asked.

IP Logged

nanstallon

Falmouth
Reply #27 - Apr 30th, 2006 at 7:18pm

One way to strike back at banks that exploit at every opportunity is to keep changing bank accounts, taking the introductory offers like 0% for 6/9/12 months on credit cards and then at the end of the 6/9/12 months, go off to another.  There is after all plenty of competition; let's make the most of it.

Off topic, I know, but as others have talked about pensioners, here goes:  the real injustice is means testing, so beloved of Gordon Brown.  There are many people who have worked in low paid jobs, thriftily put money by for old age and found after retirement that it buys them a pension just big enough to disqualify them from benefits like pension credit and council tax benefit, etc.  Unless you can put so much money away that you will be way over the thresholds anyway, you may as well go to the pub, buy a new car every couple of years, enjoy foreign holidays and spend it while you can.  Or stuff the private pension scheme that takes so much in 'management' fees and ties your money up till retirement and instead put your spare dosh into buying property.

IP Logged

Ian01
Supreme Member

Reply #28 - Jun 14th, 2015 at 10:43am

Over the last few months, Halifax has replaced some of the 0845 numbers with 0345 numbers.

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #29 - Jun 23rd, 2015 at 1:13am

nanstallon wrote on Apr 30th, 2006 at 7:18pm:
One way to strike back at banks that exploit at every opportunity is to keep changing bank accounts, taking the introductory offers like 0% for 6/9/12 months on credit cards and then at the end of the 6/9/12 months, go off to another.  There is after all plenty of competition; let's make the most of it.

Off topic, I know, but as others have talked about pensioners, here goes:  the real injustice is means testing, so beloved of Gordon Brown.  There are many people who have worked in low paid jobs, thriftily put money by for old age and found after retirement that it buys them a pension just big enough to disqualify them from benefits like pension credit and council tax benefit, etc.  Unless you can put so much money away that you will be way over the thresholds anyway, you may as well go to the pub, buy a new car every couple of years, enjoy foreign holidays and spend it while you can.  Or stuff the private pension scheme that takes so much in 'management' fees and ties your money up till retirement and instead put your spare dosh into buying property.

As a follow on I keep an eye on the banks at present Yorkshire Bank are enticing new customers with a £150 intro offer, it is worth looking at Smiley

WWW bazzerfewi aom@blueyonder.co.uk  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, Dave, bbb_uk, CJT-80, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge