Send Topic Print
FOI response - CRB (Read 21,620 times)
idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
FOI response - CRB
May 27th, 2005 at 9:34pm

(part1):

Thank you for your letter of 18th April 2005 requesting information under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.

Your request relates to the use of 0870 numbers by the CRB and in particular requested:

·
Geographical numbers for all services that currently operate on 0870 numbers;

·
Any relevant information as to why the CRB introduced 0870 revenue generating numbers (minutes of meetings etc) and the amounts of revenue that the CRB receives from using such numbers; and

·
Minutes of meetings and any other information that relates to the CRB consideration of the COI advice

Before each of the points above are addressed it may be helpful to set the context for the CRB response to your request by the provision of a brief overview of the Disclosure Service operated by the CRB.

The CRB was established under Part V of the Police Act 1997 with the set aim to:

“Help employers and voluntary organisations make more informed recruitment decisions through improved access to Government and police records. This will facilitate safer recruitment and protect the vulnerable.”

The CRB achieves its purpose by providing a service called Disclosure. This is a carefully regulated one-stop shop service that enables organisations making a recruitment decision in the UK to gain access to important criminal and other information for recruitment and licensing purposes.

The Disclosure follows a set process. The Disclosure application form is completed jointly by the applicant followed by the Registered Body, who will submit the application to the CRB.

A Registered Body is an organisation registered with the CRB who has:

·
the ability to ask an exempted question under the terms of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975

·
will comprise of a Lead Signatory and Countersignatories accepted by the CRB as being suitable to receive Disclosure information (this involves a check to the same level as an Enhanced Disclosure) and

·
is bound by the provisions of the CRB Code of Practice.

The key factors here lie within the legislation that underpins the Disclosure Service. The ability to asked an exempted question under the provisions of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 is held only by a person in the course of the duties of his office or employment. Thus an individual cannot ask an exempted question of him or herself and consequently cannot apply for a higher level Disclosure individually. Furthermore both the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and the Police Act 1997 extend only to the UK. Accordingly the exempted question and thus the recruitment decision must be made within the UK.

There are two levels of checks currently available from the CRB: the Standard Disclosure and the Enhanced Disclosure. A Standard Disclosure will involve a check on the Police National Computer and will, where requested, involve checks on the lists held and maintained by the Department of Health and Department for Education and Skills of those persons considered unsuitable to work with children and/or vulnerable adults. The Enhanced Disclosure will involve the same checks as a Standard Disclosure but will also involve a check of local police force records for release of any information considered relevant to the position applied for.

When all the checks have been completed a Disclosure is initiated and dispatched to both the applicant and the Registered Body to allow a recruitment/licensing decision to be undertaken in conjunction with normal checks.

The third level of Disclosure introduced by the Police Act 1997, the Basic Disclosure, is not yet available from the CRB but is currently in the process of development. The Basic Disclosure will contain details of ‘un-spent’ convictions only (under the terms of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974) and will be available to individual applicants directly. The Basic Disclosure will not involve a Registered Body.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Re: FOI response - CRB
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2005 at 9:35pm

(part2):

In answer to your specific points you have asked for:

·
Geographical numbers for all services that currently operate on 0870 numbers.

The CRB does not provide geographical numbers for services that operate under 0870 numbers. However an application for a higher level Disclosure application can be made by the Registered Body (on behalf of an applicant) through either the telephone application line or by the use of a blank Disclosure application form.

Additionally the CRB operates an e-mail enquiry function that allows customers to mail queries to the CRB, used for your initial communication with the CRB. The address to which such communications should be directed is info@crb.gsi.gov.uk.

·
Any relevant information as to why the CRB introduced 0870 revenue generating numbers (minutes of meetings etc) and the amounts of revenue that the CRB receives from using such numbers.

Please find attached copies of papers of the CRB Programme Board in the form of:

Document 1 - CRB Business Processes - Recommendations for Optimising Customer Interactions with the Agency (section 5)

-
The paper was presented to the Board by the CRB private sector partner Capita Plc and provides recommendations for telephone access considerations.

Document 2 - Minutes of the Programme Board, dated 31st August 2000, section 6.4.

-
Section 6.4 of Programme Board minutes details the actions that were allocated for each recommendation following the discussion of the CRB Business Processes document. Recommendation 6 relates.

Document 3 - Memorandum dated 20th September 2000

-
The memorandum responds to recommendation 6 of the CRB Business Processes document. The memorandum provides that in relation to the use of national rate telephone access for CRB services - ‘ Our (the CRB Agency) preferred approach adopts the Capita recommendations. Having the flexibility of multiple numbers seems like a sensible approach and the use of national rate provides fair access across the UK and the CRB without any adverse impact on our cost model.’

The question also expands to ask for details of the amount of revenue that the CRB receive from using such numbers. The revenue received by the Disclosure service in respect of 0870 numbers is as follows:

·
Daytime – 2.6 pence per minute
·
Evenings – 0.8 pence per minute
·
Weekends – 0.6 pence per minute

As a self-funding agency any costs attributed to the functioning of the CRB, which would include the cost of running the call centre and advice lines, form part of the overall cost of a Disclosure. Furthermore the majority of Registered Bodies, who form the main contact with the CRB, submit Disclosure application forms by using a blank Disclosure application form rather than using the telephone application line.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - May 27th, 2005 at 9:38pm

(part 3):

·
Minutes of meetings and any other information that relates to the CRB consideration of the COI advice

The guidance issued by the Central Office of Information (COI) regarding the use of 0870 numbers, issued in August 2003, was not considered when the decision was taken in September 2000 to use national rate telephone numbers for the Disclosure service. Accordingly no information is held that relates to the consideration of this guidance.

Nevertheless, as previously discussed, the CRB is currently in the process of development of the Basic Disclosure service. The CRB development team is aware of the recently updated COI guidance on the use of 0870 numbers and accordingly the will consider the guidance in the development of a Basic Disclosure service. 

If you are not content with the outcome of your request you can request a review by writing to:

Head of Policy
Criminal Records Bureau
PO Box 165
Liverpool
L69 3JD

If you require any further assistance please feel free to contact me directly.

[end]

The statement "The CRB does not provide geographical numbers for services that operate under 0870 numbers" in part 2 sounds somewhat arrogant in nature, and it is likely that I will request an internal review. The CRB is part of the Home Office - a serial abuser of rip-off numbers.

IP Logged

PeDaSp

Reply #3 - May 28th, 2005 at 12:20am

"The CRB does not provide geographical numbers for services that operate under 0870 numbers"

Funny eh! They don't get it - under the FOI they don't have any choice really.

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #4 - May 28th, 2005 at 9:47am

isnt the CRB contracted out to capita?

I remember a big huge co*k up ages a while back, where apps took ages.
Same Company that runs the TV license, London Congestion Charging, Oyster Card, Lots of Local Councils recruitment and IT services, BBC's telephone system.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #5 - Aug 22nd, 2005 at 5:52pm

Quote:
"The CRB does not provide geographical numbers for services that operate under 0870 numbers"

Funny eh! They don't get it - under the FOI they don't have any choice really.
It does seem that there has been a major shift at the Home Office wrt 0870 numbers, and it seems like the department is attempting to 'get its act together' (the CRB is an executive agency of the Home Office). I suspect that the London bombings and the use of rip-off numbers has had some impact. Prior to July 7, the HO and its agencies simply refused to release the underlying numbers. Post July 7, it is revealing the numbers without any difficulty. Below is a letter received from the CRB earlier today. It seems that the GNs are to be released.

<<
Apologies for the delay in responding to your request for review. Further to my letter of 18 July 2005, a full internal review has now been conducted against the original CRB response to your request for information made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.

Having reviewed the information provided to you by the CRB on 27 May 2005, I am of the opinion that the response wrongly omitted information pertaining to geographic numbers that underpin the national rate (i.e. 0870) numbers used by the CRB.

As such, I have instructed the CRB Freedom of Information Team to facilitate the release of the information requested. I anticipate that the response will be provided to you no later than 26 August 2005.
>>

Very slowly, the campaign is achieving success.
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2005 at 6:03pm by idb »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #6 - Aug 22nd, 2005 at 9:34pm

Quote:
...I suspect that the London bombings and the use of rip-off numbers has had some impact. Prior to July 7, the HO and its agencies simply refused to release the underlying numbers. Post July 7, it is revealing the numbers without any difficulty...
I agree but I think what really took the HO/The Met by surprise was that they didn't realise the cost of calling NGN's from mobiles/payphones was, in some circumstances, as much as 30/40ppm and calling from abroad may not be possible.
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2005 at 9:35pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #7 - Aug 31st, 2005 at 5:19pm

Received today - the outcome of the internal review.

<<
Following the internal review of your Freedom of Information request, please find below further details not included in your original request.

The table below shows the geographical numbers behind each 0870 number used by the CRB.

Telephone Number Description Liverpool Delivery Number Darwen Delivery Number
0870 90 90 811 General Enquiry 0151 676 1997 01254 894997
0870 90 90 822 Registration Enquiries 0151 676 1997 01254 894997
0870 90 90 844 Disclosure Enquiries 0151 676 1683 01254 894992
0870 90 90 844 Option 4 Credit Control 0151 676 1681
0870 90 90 866 CRB Police 0151 676 1984
0870 90 90 778 Disputes 0151 676 1982 01254 894991
0870 90 90 223 Welsh line 0151 676 1961 01254 894691
0870 01 00 450 Overseas line 0151 676 1006
0870 90 90 344 Minicom 0151 676 1985 01254 894985

It should be noted that 0870 numbers deliver a message informing the caller that the calls will be recorded, the use of the 0151 number will not deliver this same message.
>>

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #8 - Aug 31st, 2005 at 5:39pm

Thanks for that idb.

I'll enter them into the database.

IP Logged

janaltus

Nil carborundum . . .

The Rotten Borough of Hackney
Reply #9 - Sep 28th, 2005 at 5:49am

I'm disabled and can't fill in forms except via my PC's voice-recognition software (or dictating over the phone).  I needed to fill in one of their forms but the CRB call centre informed me that alternative formats were limited to either Braille or Welsh!  I asked if they would call me back so we could complete it over the phone (me dictate info/they fill it in) and, on the first occasion they said they would - but never called back; and on the second occasion they said they weren't allowed to!  Now you've got the geographical numbers out of the b*s+@^ds I can call the CRB to my heart's delight.  A big, big thank you for your fine work! Grin

notdrowninginhackney  
IP Logged

janaltus

Nil carborundum . . .

The Rotten Borough of Hackney
Reply #10 - Sep 28th, 2005 at 6:17am

I was going to report the CRB to the Disability Rights Commission (DRC) but guess what?  The DRC is guilty of the same crime Angry
DRC Telephone: 08457 622 633
DRC Textphone: 08457 622 644 (based on the speed of conversations on textphone - this is criminal!)
DRC Fax: 08457 778 878
http://www.drc-gb.org/whatwedo/helplineenquiry.asp

notdrowninginhackney  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Dave, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge