Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Swansea University - 0870 access - considering FOI (Read 35,584 times)
bill

Re: Swansea University - 0870 access
Reply #15 - Jun 10th, 2005 at 8:02pm

Quote:
I have no disagreement over the dictionary definitions of what the word ‘Premium’ means.  However, I would correct your misconception about 0870.  0870 numbers may be charged at a premium according to your number 2 dictionary definition but they are not Premium Rate numbers. Premium Rate numbers start with 09.

How stupid of me. 

If only I could get it through my thick skull that 0870 calls, although "charged at a premium" (i.e are charged at a premium rate) are not Premium Rate.

Do you know, I'm beginning to think I should've gone into politics so I could play semantics (a.k.a. lie through my teeth with impunity) with the English language.
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2005 at 8:38am by bill »  

IP Logged

Smasher

UK
Reply #16 - Jun 10th, 2005 at 8:30pm

There are enough politicians already!! Grin

I think OFCOM need to stop being so corrupt as they are obviously not exposing this for a reason.  I wouldn't be surprised if OFCOM bigshots have random country houses, expensive cars, etc, provided by who I wonder? Roll Eyes

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #17 - Jun 10th, 2005 at 8:31pm

In my opinion Politics, the Government (including OfCOM) are synonymous with lie, ignorant and a few other words but most of these can't be printed without a mod kicking me off.  lol

Could we start a new campaign called:-
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2005 at 8:33pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

Smasher

UK
Reply #18 - Jul 29th, 2005 at 10:38pm

I'm still getting nowhere with this.

They (NTL) say that they're "looking into it".  It, being the fact that we should be able to direct dial the room extensions but can't.  

I'm not in residence next year, but after almost 12 months of arguing with NTL I'm not giving up now. Angry  

With these 0870 numbers, are you absolutely sure that there must be a geog number to divert to?  If so, that means they have gone to the trouble of changing over 4000 "01792" numbers! Roll Eyes  I know it could be VoIP but is there much I can do to find out?  The old numbers ring with the announcement that the number doesn't exist, instead of the solid tone as before.  Perhaps something else has changed recently? ???
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2005 at 11:37pm by Smasher »  

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #19 - Jul 31st, 2005 at 5:04am

Quote:
There are enough politicians already!! Grin

I think OFCOM need to stop being so corrupt as they are obviously not exposing this for a reason.  I wouldn't be surprised if OFCOM bigshots have random country houses, expensive cars, etc, provided by who I wonder? Roll Eyes

NEG by any chance?

IP Logged

Smasher

UK
Re: Swansea University - 0870 access - considering
Reply #20 - Sep 22nd, 2005 at 10:45am

I'm considering a FOI Request to the University for the accommodation geographical numbers, but do you think that they would release them, as the exemptions under the FOI Guidelines about 'financial/commerical interests' would allow them to withold the geographicals, just like DVLA did? Undecided 

I've asked already about the international callers who can't get through to the 0870 numbers, but been shrugged off.  This should be an issue for them as there are many American Students there, some of whom are unable to get calls in their own rooms from their families abroad Roll Eyes

IP Logged

PeDaSp

Reply #21 - Sep 22nd, 2005 at 11:01am

Do all the rooms have internet connections? If so, then just get all the students to sign-up for Skype and make their calls that way!

IP Logged

Smasher

UK
Reply #22 - Sep 22nd, 2005 at 11:51am

Yes the whole campus has a 54.0Mbps wireless net connection but the problem with this is that not everyone has a laptop/PC. 

It is those who are not as well off, financially, as others, who are worse hit by these 0870 charges.  There are a few 'students' who couldn't really care less about these matters as they have plenty of money from parents to squander on alcohol and other such activities, but that's a different topic and I won't get started on that again Roll Eyes

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 6:57pm

Why consider the need for an FOI any longer and instead merely make your request for this information.

However in doing so you may find the following pieces of website information helpful:-

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/oftel_0845/responses/leicester_cc.pdf

See Para 1.3 saying that anyone claiming 0870 is national rate is committing an offence under Part III of the Consumer Protection Act 1987

http://www.coi.gov.uk/documents/gcc-second-edition.pdf

Page 33 or Para 3.50 onwards.  Although the University is not an official government contact centre as a public sector educational establishment its obligations on telecoms policy and accessibility are very similar.

Lastly http://www.asa.org.uk/cap/news_events/news/2005/Stop+the+call+confusion.htm

Specifically are the university making it clear that it can cost students relatives up to 7.51p per minute or £4.50 an hour to call an 0870 number on BT Option 3 compared to a call to a geographic 01 number being free of charge on BT Option 3?

Come on Smasher you've got to smash the university's racket.

Also have you thought of going to the local newspaper on this I'm sure it would make a good story for them.  Or what about the university radio station if you have one?
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2005 at 7:54pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Smasher

UK
Reply #24 - Oct 16th, 2005 at 6:20pm

With OfCOM's recent announcement about making 0870's the same price as geographicals, is there any point in doing this FOI request?

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Oct 16th, 2005 at 6:24pm

Quote:
With OfCOM's recent announcement about making 0870's the same price as geographicals, is there any point in doing this FOI request?

Smasher surely you realise that the Ofcom proposal is only to make the cost of these calls the same as other calls if they don't add a voice announcement and its also far from certain that they will cost the same as national calls with any calling companies apart from BT.

More importantly Ofcom are going to take until at least next April or May to make an announcement and the charging of 0870 calls won't change till a year after that.

Meanwhile students will still be at university and relatives will still have to call them for all this time. So how can you say there is no point in making an FOI??? Shocked

It seems you have perhaps been misled by what was in the highly misleading Ofcom press release Smasher? Undecided
« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2005 at 6:25pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Smasher

UK
Reply #26 - Oct 16th, 2005 at 8:24pm

Quote:
Smasher surely you realise that the Ofcom proposal is only to make the cost of these calls the same as other calls if they don't add a voice announcement and its also far from certain that they will cost the same as national calls with any calling companies apart from BT.

More importantly Ofcom are going to take until at least next April or May to make an announcement and the charging of 0870 calls won't change till a year after that.

Meanwhile students will still be at university and relatives will still have to call them for all this time. So how can you say there is no point in making an FOI??? Shocked

It seems you have perhaps been misled by what was in the highly misleading Ofcom press release Smasher? Undecided

I'm afraid I was misled as I thought this had already been decided - I've now taken some time to actually read the OfCOM document properly instead of just skimming it and hoping all would be clear. Embarrassed

I've just sent the email so will post on the FOI board when I hear from them.  I'm not holding my breath though...

« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2005 at 8:27pm by Smasher »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Oct 16th, 2005 at 9:12pm

Quote:
I've just sent the email so will post on the FOI board when I hear from them.  I'm not holding my breath though...

What was your FOI about and to whom?

IP Logged

Smasher

UK
Reply #28 - Oct 16th, 2005 at 11:20pm

Basically the same as that for Hull University except I added a couple of points but it remains the same about the alternative geo numbers for accommodation, costs, etc.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Oct 16th, 2005 at 11:32pm

Quote:
Basically the same as that for Hull University except I added a couple of points but it remains the same about the alternative geo numbers for accommodation, costs, etc.

You seem to get a lot done for someone aged 104 Wink Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Dave, Forum Admin, DaveM, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge