Send Topic Print
Charities and NGNs (Read 30,188 times)
idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Re: Charities and NGNs
Reply #15 - Jun 7th, 2005 at 6:07pm

Quote:
Are you sure about that number, or does that include the Calling card prefix ?? (normally UK=0044)

. . and does this problem also occur with other NGN's also from USA ??   Undecided
Yes, the standard international access code *from* the United States is 011. We typically dial a toll-free number (1-800, 1-888, 1-877 or 1-866), or even a local number (in many places, local calls are free) to benefit from lower rates, to access the low cost provider. We would then dial 011 44 1XX.... or 011 44 2XX... to access geographic numbers. Some providers *will* route to 011 44 870 and 011 44 845, however these are charged at a large premium, and given the long queues, I'm not prepared to pay ~40c/minute where I usually pay 2c/minute to a geo number. Some providers simply do not route calls to anything other than +44 1, +44 2 or +44 7. +44 800, where available is usually charged the same as +44 870 which is why 0800 calls are of little use to people overseas. It is possible that our telephone provider, Bell South, will charge exactly the same for +44 8 as it does for +44 1, however I haven't tried it as international rates are high in the first place. Trying to find out in advance is impossible, so it would rely on examining the bill afterwards

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #16 - Jun 7th, 2005 at 8:04pm

I would like to re-iterate what I posted on the other thread on charities.

Using 0870 is a very 'inefficient' way to pay. A daytime call to 0870 costs 7.51p/min on BT. A daytime local call is between 3p and 0p/min, so the service provider is therfore charging a premium of between 4.51p/min and 7.51p/min. This is in return for what rate? 2p or 3p/min maybe. So where's the rest going? Simple, to the telco providing the 0870!

This, in a nutshell, is why I think (charities especially) should steer clear of these numbers.

If you consider the extra revenue from 0870 important then why not drop the 0870 and let people donate more money to your charity?

Of course, if it is really 'extra' revenue, then how is it obtained? Are people aware of the cost to them and the revenue paid to the charity?

The description is as follows:
Quote:
All calls to this number are charged to you at a National Call Rate, depending on who your Telephone Calls Provider is.  By agreement with our Service Provider, between 8am and 6pm, Westie ReHoming receives a small proportion of the Charges, which it donates fully to the dogs it is committed to helping - 100% goes towards their care, 0% to administration costs, which are funded separately.

The national rate thing is completely misleading, and specific pricing information should be given instead. "By agreement with our Service Provider" makes it sound as though your SP is being charitable!

Whilst I agree with idb that 0870 is bad, it is mainly the fact that it covert. I therefore suggest you give your callers an idea of how much it costs them and how much of that goes to the charity.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #17 - Jun 7th, 2005 at 10:00pm

Dave,

That info about national rate, etc that is on their site is new.  It wasn't there when I looked at it this afternoon.

He appears to be yet another person that is under the impression that 0870 is national rate though I'd do appreciate he has tried a little anyhow - at least they admit they get revenue from the calls unlike other charities, companies and our own government.

IP Logged

westier
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 9:18pm

idb wrote on Jun 7th, 2005 at 2:12pm:
And that is an important point - even if I wanted to ring you to discuss further, I could not do so. I CANNOT CALL 0870 numbers. My provider does not route calls to such numbers. This is why I percieve those that use such numbers, or at least their orgz, to be either clueless or money-grabbing.

AN UPDATE:

With respect to those outside the UK, our service is specifically designed for, and targeted at, those residing in the UK - we do not rehome dogs outside this country.  Therefore, the ability of callers from outside Britain to reach our number is not a priority for us - I cannot see why a non-UK caller would ever want to telephone us, apart from lamenting to us directly the existence of the 0870 number.  However, many of you having decided that there is no 'plus side' to the premium rate system whatsoever (even for charities), I don't expect this viewpoint to be accepted even now.

This then is my final word on the subject, apart from saying that our dogs still (eight months later) benefit comfortably from the proceeds of the 0870 phone calls, thank you very much.  And we have recorded no complaints about the charges at all by callers at the time of them contacting us.

Best wishes

Lee.

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #19 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 10:24pm

Your views are much welcome here, and I can see your point of view, and thanks for bringing up this old thread again.

You say you recorded no complaints about your number.  If you were to tell customers that you your 0870 number is revenue share, I'm sure they might view it differently.  It because very few people complain that big companies are able to get away with it.  Perhaps another viewpoint is because potential callers have been put off by your 0870 number and not bothered getting in touch, or perhaps most people accept 0870 is a con, but everyone uses it, and doesn't make a fuss (when they should)

And I take it, when you go home, and someone crashes into the back of your car, and to make things worse you get home and find that your washing machine breaks down, your satellite TV has a fault, you find the customer services numbers for all these situations, and find you have to spend 2 hours calling 0870 numbers to sort it out.  Now I take it you have absolutely no objections, in calling these numbers, because the cost of the call helps pay the wages for the customer service people who you would rather not phone, and prefer to be in a situation where you don't want their help, and in the case of the washing machine or sky not working, it's their fault in the first place!!

Oh, and these 3 companies on a geographical number on 1899 would cost 9p.  Calling them on BT option 3 (or equivilent on other providers) FREE.

Calling 0870 for 120 minutes at 8p per minute = £9.60!!!

Can you explain the advantages and benefits of paying a premium of ONE HUNDRED TIMES the cost you should be paying, cos sticking to your own principles and beliefs, you'd rather stick your hand in your own pocket and pay £9.60 for something that should only cost 9p!!

You also say that people calling your 0870 number has helped your charity and has helped rehouse your dogs.  Are you saying that you cannot survive without the 0870 number.  Would using a geographical number put your charity in serious financial threat?

If your business needs revenue from telephone calls to operate, then I suggest you use an 090 number.  As you clearly state, there's been no complaints about the cost, and people are happy to call you despite the additional cost, and you don't need to be contacted from overseas, so whats stopping you using an 090 number?
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2006 at 10:41pm by Shiggaddi »  

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #20 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 11:34pm

Excellent Shiggaddi. Of course one no-no is the fact that people are, as you say, aware of 09X costs. And then the correct title is "Revenue Share", with perhaps half of that 25p, 50p or whatever going to the operator.... Yup, some to the charity, but I prefer to contribute directly, the easier now that we have Gift Aid.
But then I am not trying to inveigle money out of people without their realising it and explaining it away that no-one has complained about a few pence. Yuck.

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Reply #21 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 12:23am

While I can see that a small charity might think it beneficial to get some revenue from revenue-sharing numbers - altho' I remain to be convinced  Undecided - I cannot see the benefit for a large national charity (especially when they admit that the revenue share is not important to them).

However, when I put it to one such large national charity that 0870 numbers were costing their members money, which was going to their telco and hence was not available for giving to the charity, they chose to ignore the point completely.  Cry

I will be following it up when I have time and have collected the info I need.  Angry

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 12:29am

trevord wrote on Feb 13th, 2006 at 12:23am:
I cannot see the benefit for a large national charity (especially when they admit that the revenue share is not important to them).

However, when I put it to one such large national charity that 0870 numbers were costing their members money, which was going to their telco and hence was not available for giving to the charity, they chose to ignore the point completely.  Cry

I think its more a case that these charities pretend that the revenue is not important to them.
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2006 at 8:40am by N/A »  

IP Logged

fonebird

Reply #23 - Jun 21st, 2007 at 12:52am

I totally understand your wish to retain some secrecy to protect the dogs, although most rehoming shelters are in the phone book etc so it seems a little unusual...  However, it is a bit of a lame argument because if someone wanted to deliberately harm or steal a Westie (in particular!) they would simply tell you a story in order to find out where you are, so it wouldn't really work!

I must say that, until I read more detail about the finance involved in 0870 numbers from other posters on this thread I was inclined to feel more charitable (pardon my pun too!) towards charities using these nos to gain a little more revenue, but I'm afraid they have rather opened my eyes further.

I have to say that when I see an 0870 or 0845 no belonging to a business I immediately feel mistrustful as if (as the initiator of this thread indicated) they wish to hide their whereabouts.  Why would any business or organisation WANT to do this?!?!  (a rhetorical question, I fear; their motives can only be questionable...) Undecided

IP Logged

Mike_Campbell

Reply #24 - Dec 4th, 2007 at 5:42pm

I was thinking about another issue as I sat for ages, again, this morning on an 0844 number to follow up a long delayed mail order from Cancer Research UK, and I won't bore anyone with that problem. However I realised, as I was doing a bit of surfing for an alterantive number, that a lot of Charities (including Alzheimer's Society | Blue Cross | British Heart Foundation | Cancer Research UK | Children With Leukaemia | Diabetes UK | MENCAP | Multiple Sclerosis Society | NSPCC | The National Trust | Parkinsons | PDSA | RSPCA | Save The Children) use Webb Ivory (Burton) Ltd as an outsourcing mail order company.  I know that Webb Ivory's number is in the data base on this site, but what is probably less well known is all these charities use WI(B), and they all have an 0844 557 number as a contact number.  I have spent a good 45 minutes over the last week on the CR UK 'customer services' line, and then decided to shortcut it all by ringing the Managing Director of Webb Ivory via its switchboard 01283 566 311 although on the web the number is given as 0845 218 4530.  I don't begrudge charities earning something from this system (do they?), but what I do resent is being held for ages on the line listening to piped music, and paying for it. I'm new to saynoto 0870, and wondered if this issue had come up anywhere else. Undecided

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #25 - Dec 4th, 2007 at 6:08pm

Mike_Campbell wrote on Dec 4th, 2007 at 5:42pm:
...I know that Webb Ivory's number is in the data base on this site, but what is probably less well known is all these charities use WI(B), and they all have an 0844 557 number as a contact number...

I don't believe it's a coincidence that they have similar 0844 numbers. It's highly likely that the 0844 number is provided by the outsource company Webb Ivory.
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2007 at 6:09pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #26 - Dec 4th, 2007 at 11:10pm

Mike_Campbell wrote on Dec 4th, 2007 at 5:42pm:
I don't begrudge charities earning something from this system (do they?)

0844 557 is one of the ranges where a revenue share would be paid to the renter of the line.

If this is genuinely used by a charity to offset costs that would otherwise be met out of other donations, then many others (including myself) would share your view, but subject to one vital qualification.

This process must be transparent.

Taking money from telephone calls on which an unadvised premium charge is levied (note my careful wording) is very damaging to the reputation of a charity. If I decide to give £5 and end up paying £5.50, I may feel as though the whole donation has been taken wrongly.

I note that Webb Ivory uses this same group of numbers for similar mail order services provided to purely commercial organisations. It is therefore difficult to see how these charities do actually earn from the excess paid by callers. The way in which its costs and revenues affect the fees levied by Webb Ivory is commercially confidential and cannot be discussed in public.

Webb Ivory is failing to deal fairly with all of its customers by not advising the likely high cost of calling its order lines (up to 40p per minute from a mobile). Charities which promote its numbers without appropriate advice are complicit in this. They should accept their responsibility to their donors and take action to avoid the damage to their reputation which should be inflicted by publicity of this matter.

(Someone with the time and resources to do so may wish to contact these charities to confirm their position, before exposing this scam through the media.)

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #27 - Dec 4th, 2007 at 11:56pm

The full list of charities which Webb Ivory provides mail order services for is available at: http://www.charitygifts.com/

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, CJT-80, Dave, DaveM, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge