Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Times article:"Mobile calls may cost receiver" (Read 14,725 times)
Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Re: Times article:"Mobile calls may cost rece
Reply #15 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 7:19pm

The fact that Vodafone has had to come up with their amazing new Passport officer where you can receive an incoming roaming call of up to 60 minutes for just 75p says just how scared they are of the latest EU threats to take action if they don't stop the current roaming ripoff.

And with many phones having 1571 which connects immediately if engaged, and voicemail on mobiles which also connects immediately if engaged, or phone off, 75p just to connect a call is an even bigger rip off than roaming charges.

If however your phone call back to the UK lasts a good hour or so, then 75p plus useage of your inclusive minutes isn't bad.

However when I'm in Spain soaking up the sun, I don't want to keep phoning people back in the UK at 75p a go, or pay expensive roaming charges unless it's a real emergency.  Even then, you might be able to use an internet cafe, or public call box to make cheaper calls back home, available on almost every street.

If calls back home were part of inclusive minutes, with no extras, I might consider bringing my mobile, but otherwise I like to catch up with people on my return.

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: Times article:"Mobile calls may cost rece
Reply #16 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 7:35pm

I was talking about receiving incoming calls at 75p fixed when roaming in Europe for up to 1 hour under the new Vodafone Passport deal.  Of course it should ideally be nothing at all to receive an incoming mobile call when roaming but 75p for up to 1 hour is one hell of a lot better than up to £1 per minute for an incoming call when roaming as it has been.

They might try to scam you for the 75p fixed charge if you have the phone set up to divert to voicemail.  Simple cancel the divert while you are on holiday is my advice.  As I have Pay as You Go with Vodafone and no inclusive minutes I certainly don't want to have to call them back at 30p per minute in response to a voicemail message in the daytime plus 75p connection.  Of course 5p per minute in the evening and at the weekend, plus 75p handling charge is really not such a bad deal at all for the convenience of being able to use a mobile phone (just you try finding a public phone box on the Greek island of Donoussa).

As I said Vodafone must really be running scared of the latest EU threat and feel that now is the time for action.

Of course if you really don't want to pay 75p for each incoming call and can talk your friends through the relative complexities of having to call you on a Liechtenstein mobile number from a landline via http://www.abroadtel.co.uk at only 6p per minute then why not get one of these little babies:-

http://www.freedom-mobiles.co.uk/riiing-international-roaming-sim-card.html

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, Forum Admin, CJT-80, DaveM, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge