Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Do GP practices know their geographic number? (Read 7,938 times)
NFH

Do GP practices know their geographic number?
Jun 24th, 2005 at 8:36pm

We all know that non-geographic numbers route to at least one underlying geographic number. In order to receive calls via NEG's 0844 number, a GP practice needs to rent normal telephone lines from a physical network provider such as BT. These physical lines installed in the practice's building will have at least one geographic telephone number. Because the practice rents these physical telephone lines, they must know the telephone number(s). The number appears on their phone bill and they would have had to supply the number(s) to NEG in order to set up the 0844 number.

Are these assumptions correct? If so, I don't believe any GP practice can truthfully deny under the FOI Act that they know their underlying geographic phone number.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Re: Do GP practices know their geographic number?
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2005 at 9:29pm

Yes this would normally be the case.But perhaps NEG pick up the Tab for the geographical number and have the bill sent direct to them,and dont tell the Surgery the geo number.Its the sort of stroke they would play.
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2005 at 9:30pm by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #2 - Jun 26th, 2005 at 4:50pm

The issue of whether every NGN always has an associated GN to which it is routed, and which may or may not be dialled as an accessible GN has been discussed in detail in at least one other thread

And the answer is NO! NGNs do not now always have an accessible GN which may be dialled.
« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2005 at 6:43pm by dorf »  

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #3 - Jun 27th, 2005 at 9:32am

Quote:
And the answer is NO! NGNs do not now always have an accesible GN which may be dialled.

dorf, I think you may have misunderstood the question.

The question was do surgeries know their geo no? and not, do they always have a geo no?

The point you make that some NGNs don't have to have a geographical alternative is a valid one. Some go to VoIP (voice over IP) lines. Basically, that means they connect using the internet.

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

UK
Reply #4 - Jun 27th, 2005 at 6:42pm

Dave,

I believe that if a surgery does not have an assigned GN number it also will not know what it is? Or am I missing something here?

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #5 - Jun 28th, 2005 at 1:36pm

Quote:
I believe that if a surgery does not have an assigned GN number it also will not know what it is? ...

That would stand to reason, but they may have a geographical number and not know what it is. Is it possible for companies such as NEG to supply BT lines as part of their 'service'? We know that these systems can queue callers, so I presume that this queuing is done on the NGN.

If a geographical number exists, it may be only for incoming calls only.  Undecided

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

UK
Reply #6 - Jun 29th, 2005 at 6:31pm

Dave, it is not possible to execute queuing with a local system of any sort on a single line ("as the NGN"), but queueing may be done at the exchange and then routed to a single line, which probably is unknown to the GP as a GN and may not be dialled directly as a GN. Otherwise any entity including a GP must have n lines in to undertake queueing with a local system.
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2005 at 6:33pm by dorf »  

IP Logged

NFH

Reply #7 - Jul 6th, 2005 at 7:56pm

I can now answer my own question.  See this thread on the geographic requests forum:

http://www.saynoto0870.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?board=test;action=display;num=...

It seems that NEG supply the lines to the GP practices.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, Dave, DaveM, bbb_uk, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge