Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FOI response - GP surgery (Read 8,633 times)
idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
FOI response - GP surgery
Jun 29th, 2005 at 7:55pm

I submitted a FOI response to a 'sample' surgery in Sheffield, just to 'test the waters'. The reply was very quick although that is the only positive aspect of the response. My comments:

1 - FOI was used because a general request, I suspect, would have been ignored.

2 - It is largely irrelevant whether I am a registered patient - I am asking for information about telephone numbers which is not a confidential matter in any sense of the meaning.

3 - The practice manager asserts that "we cannot foresee the reason for [calling from overseas]". This is irresponsible and someone in this position really should understand this. How about checking blood test or similar results, scheduling or changing appointments, enquiring (albeit within the bounds of patient confidentiality) about a relative? If the manager can't think of such scenarios and other ones, then he should look for another job in my opinion.

4 - In this instance, I do not believe that the number was supplied by NEG. My next FOI request will target such a surgery.

The reponse:

Thank you for your query dated 20th June.

You have styled it on the Freedom of Information Act. I have to say that the connection is somewhat tenuous; nevertheless I will endeavour to answer the points you raise.

Having checked our records we note that you are not a registered patient. Under the rules of confidentiality this response has to be of a general nature.

Firstly can I state that this Practice has a policy regarding the registration of patients living within our designated area. The exact area is published within our Practice guide and is approximately a 2 mile perimeter around each of our 2 sites. We do not accept patents living outside our area, and if an existing patient moves out we ask them to register with an alternative GP nearer their home. By implication we do not
accept patients living abroad, which renders your point about dialling from overseas somewhat irrelevant.

Why did we move to an 0845 number?

In 2003 the NHS and the body representing GP Practices (the British Medical Association or BMA) agreed on revisions to the healthcare contract - known as the General Medical Services or GMS contract. The full details are available on the NHS websites and comprise of several thick booklets. You are quite welcome to look this up.

The new GMS contract was introduced in April 2004. One of the aims of the was stated as ". Clinical and Organisational Quality, through evidence-based
Quality and Outcomes Framework which is in line with professional practice, and for improving the patient experience.."

One of the Quality and outcomes Indicators is listed in the document under the Section on Information (point 8 ) which states " The Practice has a system to allow patients to contact the out of hours service by making no more than one telephone call"

To achieve this quality standard we had to introduce a system that automatically diverted incoming calls when the surgery was closed. BT were unable to provide that service on the existing number, and so a new number
was needed. Because a pre-recorded explanation of the divert has to be included we used a 0845 number which charges the caller UK "local rates". We do not get any revenue from the number, and so your information is incorrect in this respect.

Dialling from Overseas

As explained earlier we do not accept overseas residents as patients. If an existing patient needed to ring us whilst abroad ( and we cannot foresee the
reason for that scenario) Then they can use either the new number or the "old" 0114 number that is still in existence. That has to be on the understanding that they will lose the benefit of the automatic transfer to
other areas of the NHS should the surgery be closed.

In conclusion, I have taken time to answer the query fully and explain why changes were made. I do not want to get into lengthy correspondence on this
matter as most of your points are hypothetical. I must also point out that some of your points are also factually incorrect.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Re: FOI response - GP surgery
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2006 at 11:46pm

Has anyone persuaded a GP surgery to provide a geo number alternative to their new 0844 number?  How were they persuaded?

Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Re: FOI response - GP surgery
Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2006 at 4:36pm

idb wrote on Jun 29th, 2005 at 7:55pm:
In conclusion, I have taken time to answer the query fully and explain why changes were made. I do not want to get into lengthy correspondence on this
matter as most of your points are hypothetical. I must also point out that some of your points are also factually incorrect.

That last comment would make me more then get into a lengthy correspondence. Ask for an internal review (beacuse you can). Remind them the FOI applies to anyone (including overseas residents) and NOT just to the people that live in their exclusive 2 mile boundry. Also say it is irrelvent if you are a patient or not.

Im still waiting 6 months on for a response from Dyfed Powys Police.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, Dave, CJT-80, bbb_uk, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge