Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 25
Send Topic Print
London Blasts - Using 0870 as Emergency Number (Read 328,770 times)
idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Re: London Blasts - Using 0870 as Emergency Number
Reply #15 - Jul 7th, 2005 at 6:04pm

Here in the US, the State department has also issued a help line for Americans worried about friends or relatives in London. In contrast with the clueless government departments in the UK, this number is toll-free - 1-888-407-4747. Usefully, it also provides a toll number for those calling outside the US - 1-202-501-4444 that can't access the free number for any reason. The difference between what happens here and in the UK, where the provider of the bureau is profiting from death and injury by using premium rate numbers, is very noticeable.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jul 7th, 2005 at 6:53pm

I would also suggest making a complaint to the Independent Police Complaints Commission at www.ipcc.gov.uk

Except that the main contact number for the Independent Police Complaints Commission is 0845 3002002    Doh what's the use......

So whilst complaining to the IPCC you might also care to complain about the inaccessibility of their own contact phone number from mobiles overseas etc.

As far as I can see though there is some generalised nationwide scam for all uk police forces to use 0845 and 0870 numbers.  Although Surrey police continue to maintain that their decision was taken in isolation.

IP Logged

OFFSHORERADIO

LINCONSHIRE
Reply #17 - Jul 7th, 2005 at 6:53pm

Hi All

We Just sent this Email to London's Mayor:-

"Dear Mr Livingstone

Like everybody else, I was appalled and saddened to hear of today's explosions in London.

My wife and I were both born in London, though we now live in Lincolnshire but we were also very sad to see that an 0870 telephone number was issued for casualty enquiries "Casualty hotline: 0870 1566 344"

Let me make this very clear, calls to 0870 numbers during the day always cost about 8p per minute. This compares with calls to numbers starting 01 or 02, costing about 3p a minute. Indeed, if someone uses BT Option 3, calls to any 01 or 02 number are free of charge for the first 60 minutes

0870 numbers always cost more to call because a percentage of the call charge is given, usually to the person who's number it is, which I guess in this case is a Government department

I feel this is totally unacceptable if people are concerned for loved ones, they may be on a very limited income and can ill afford to pay such 'phone charges

We're not alone in feeling like this, there's a whole web site about it www.saynoto0870.com ;

Within a short time of the number being released, the sayno site was full of protest about the use of the number under these circumstances

So may I urge you, as the Mayor, to ensure that all the extra call revenue obtained on the number is given to a suitable charity and to take steps to ensure that if such an event re-occurs, a standard 01 or 02 number is used

After all, years ago, before 0870 was invented, the Post Office as was, was always able to arrange such a number at short notice

We look forward to receiving your reply

David & Lyn Laine

Crowle Lincolnshire"

Sent to mayor@london.gov.uk mayor@london.gov.uk

IP Logged

juby

Gloucestershire
Reply #18 - Jul 7th, 2005 at 7:12pm

After 911 our US friends were given a freephone number to ring.

After Atocha,  (Madrid) our spanish friends were given a freephone number to ring.

Today we are given a money making 0870 number to ring - which according to reports just puts you on hold!

Find out who is responsible chaps and EXPOSE them!

I have already sent my contribution to the Telegraph.

dtletters@telegraph.co.uk

IP Logged

dag

Reply #19 - Jul 7th, 2005 at 7:16pm

I agree too, I think it's absolutely disgusting that Cable and Wireless are profiting from terrorism in this way. It makes you wonder who is really responsible for the attack too.

After all, the claim that the "Secret Group of Al Qaeda Jihad in Europe" is responsible is unverified. The web-based forum it was posted to has had genuine responsibility claims posted to it in the past - but then again, it's had a lot of hoaxes too.

And even if it does get verified - so what? No-one's heard of this "Secret Group" before. Contrary to what the popular press might have you believe, there is no single organisation called "Al Qaeda" - the name "Al Qaeda" is used to describe many different groups, some of which are allied only very loosely. There's often a lot of conspiracy theory and racial stereotype passed off as fact, making Al Qaeda groups sound bigger than they really are. 

My point is - how do we identify this Secret Group? Who's to say that a particular person belongs to this group, and who doesn't? And who's to say that Cable and Wireless board members, and senior police officers, aren't among them?

Okay it's unlikely - and don't get me wrong, I don't intend to point any fingers of blame, or spread a conspiracy theory of my own.

However, if you appear to profit directly from terrorist activities - then in my book, you're implicated. Just like Cable and Wireless. And the Metropolitan Police. Personally, I'm going to be watching these two organisations very closely, to see how they explain their way out of this one.

IP Logged

OFFSHORERADIO

LINCONSHIRE
Reply #20 - Jul 7th, 2005 at 7:25pm

HI All

If you want to really get your self thinking about who is really behind such attacks take a look at

http://911research.wtc7.net/

It makes interesting very reading there is lots of links from it to other sites also

Or just do a Google for 9/11 it will get you thinking it did me

Dave

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Jul 7th, 2005 at 7:38pm

Well said Juby.  This is likely to achieve quite a lot more than the automatic email atomiser to be found at mayor@london.gov.uk  An email to that addrees will just be lost amongst all the hate mail about the £8 London Congestion Charge.

I myself will be writing to letters@the-times.co.uk

Also anyone living in the Greater London area should write to their MP and their Greater London Assembly member regarding this issue.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #22 - Jul 7th, 2005 at 7:41pm

'Nice little earner': from the Scotland Yard web site:

"If you are unsuccessful and still have concerns that your friends or relatives may have been injured in the events, contact Casualty Bureau on 0870 1566344.

We are experiencing a very high volume of calls to this line – at present we are receiving 42,000 calls per hour. We would therefore urge anyone calling it to please be patient whilst we continue answering as many calls as possible."

Let's hope they have a decent queueing system to take advantage of the revenue generation.

This is DISGRACEFUL.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #23 - Jul 7th, 2005 at 7:41pm

I've just joined the forum because of my absolute disgust that the emergency helpline, following the outrage in London, is an 0870 number. If profit is being made out of people's misery it is appalling.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Jul 7th, 2005 at 7:57pm

Even more appalling is that people may not be able to call it at all due to not having the £3.50 needed to make a 30 minute call to this number from a public phone (allowing for all the queuing time before you are then cut off) or because they are calling from overseas and so find this number barred or costing a pound a minute to call.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Jul 7th, 2005 at 8:13pm

You might all like to send an email registering your disgust at this Metropolitan Police abuse of accident victims to this email address:-

commissioner@met.police.uk

This is as quoted on the Met Police's own web site at:-
www.met.police.uk/contacts/email.htm

The main person guilty for this abuse of accident victims is the Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, Sir Ian Blair (no relation I hope ) 

I suggest you contact him to register your disgust as well as your MP, your LGA member and any relevant members of the national press.

IP Logged

Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

London Blasts - Using 0870 as Emergency Number
Reply #26 - Jul 7th, 2005 at 12:00am

PAGE 3 GOES HERE

Check Out the main website at http://www.saynoto0870.com
IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 12:17am

I called the UK embassy in the USA withholding my UK number and pointed out that it was impossible to call the 870 number listed from most US call carriers.  The American gentleman I spoke to suggested I could call the US state department 1 888 number instead.

I called this number where I was greeted by a recorded announcement saying the service was only for relatives of US citizens abroad.

I therefore hung up and redialled the embassy and spoke this time to a British gentleman.  He admitted that he was the one who had posted the 0870 number on their website and he had got it by visiting the home office website.  He had not attempted to call it!!!  They suggested I could call back in the morning if I was unhappy about them not having the geographic phone number alternative available!!!!  Presumably by then my putative relative might have died in hospital??!

Can I suggest that people who feel strongly about this email the civil servant at the home office who admits that he was responsible personally for recommending the introduction of 0870 numbers.  This is its Permanent Secretary - john.gieve@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #28 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 12:36am

Just what are the idiots at Ofcom doing about this disgraceful use of an 870 number? In its FOI response to me last month, it stated the following:

"Ofcom is aware that callers may experience difficulty in accessing UK
non-geographic numbers from outside the UK. This results from uncertainties
over financial returns for routing between international operators caused by
the variable cost of calls and imbalances between charges that can be
retained or passed on through international arbitrage. UK residents dialing
the non-geographic numbers of other countries from the UK frequently
experience the same or similar problems. Individual countries do not
normally permit access to non-geographic numbers from overseas. This is
because these services are differently priced from geographic services and
it is impossible for an operator in the originating country (which in many
cases may not be transmitting the international part of the call) to know
what the appropriate price and for the correct amount to be passed via
several carriers and be paid to the terminating operator. "

Surely someone at Ofcom realized that:

a) London is a BIG place and has VISITORS from OVERSEAS (that is abroad, Ofcom - just to clarify, OUTSIDE the UNITED KINGDOM) and that worried friends and relatives MAY want to call some official body in the UK and..

b) bearing in mind its statement above, perhaps could have contacted the Met and suggested that an 870 number may not be the best option.

Ofcom needs some serious COMMON SENSE, or has NGN corruption gone so deep that it is impervious to such blindingly obvious action.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 12:57am

This is what Ofcom choose to call Light Touch regulation.

Personally though I simply prefer to call it Out of Touch!

Don't forget to copy any emails you send on the 0870 emergency call centre topic to stephen carter, matt peacock and geoff brighton at Ofcom.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 25
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, Dave, bbb_uk, CJT-80, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge