Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 
Send Topic Print
London Blasts - Using 0870 as Emergency Number (Read 329,035 times)
juby

Gloucestershire
Re: London Blasts - Using 0870 as Emergency Number
Reply #360 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 5:17pm

"Cable and Wireless have agreed to donate all profits from the 0870 casualty bureau number to charity". 

I must acknowledge this NGM, I did not think it would happen and you did.

By the way, was it you who predicted today's headlines by telling us that Sr Menezes didn't jump over the barrier, he walked thrpough it with his travel card?

juby

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #361 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 5:33pm

Quote:
I must acknowledge this NGM, I did not think it would happen and you did.

By the way, was it you who predicted today's headlines by telling us that Sr Menezes didn't jump over the barrier, he walked thrpough it with his travel card?

My Dear Juby,

I think I perhaps had an unfair advantage on you in having already been told by a lady who was personal assistant to C & W's Chairman that they only calculated their revenue share from these calls at around £5,000 but they reckoned the mobile phone companies had earned 3 to 4 times that amount because many of the calls made were from PAYG mobile numbers.  Also although it has not been publicly admitted I think you will find that it is in fact Cable & Wireless who has agreed to take the revenue hit involved in moving this service on to an 0800 number if and when it may be needed again.  My suspicion is that neither the Police or Pito have not agreed to pay C&W one red cent extra.  But C&W can't hack any further bad publicity on such a sensitive matter.

With regards to the unfortunate Brazilian gentleman I did indeed forecast that it would be found he had not vaulted the ticket barriers.  From the very start this had all the hallmarks of totally trigger happy and out of control coppers and I thought that particularly disgraceful were the statements made by the Commissioner of the Met saying that we must inderstand the difficult position his officers were in and that this sort of thing might happen again. Whereas he should have been saying that this was a dreadful tragedy and that the fact that the gentlemen wielding guns were police officers would not stop them from being brought to account if it was found they had acted outside the law.

It seems that with the new Independent Police Complaints Commission and with the very close family structure surrounding Senor Menezes that the Police will find it very diffiicult to try and pull off the usual total whitewash favoured in such cases.  This case seems to be like the Harry Stanley case only much worse in that at least Mr Stanley was not murdered at point blank range and whilst pinned to the ground by another police officer.
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2005 at 5:36pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

anonyone

Reply #362 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 8:03pm

nongeographicalman.
I usually find you comments reasonable and balanced. You say "all the hallmarks of totally trigger happy and out of control coppers"
These officers had been passed (and bear in mind the official report is not complete yet) positive ID's - In that situation, as far as they are concerned they have a potential "critical incident".
What would you be saying if they had simply watched someone who they had been told had a +ve ID and then he had detonated a bomb. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
I have seen armed police in Russia at work. Now that really is scary.

IP Logged

barclay55

London
GLA/Police Enquiry London Blasts
Reply #363 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 3:31pm

After all our efforts, WHY has this first number STILL (3/11/05)  not been removed from the Met Police website   (http://www.met.police.uk/news/terrorist_attacks/):
"Casualty Bureau - 0870 1566 344 or 020 7158 0010"

With the alternative GN we forced them to issue, and its international equivalent also listed what is the purpose of still listing the 0870?   Everyone knows in a list of two or more numbers at least 90% of people will dial the first number first.

Now in November we have a GLA/Police review of the July bombings incidents, responses and procedures, yet this d**n 0870 number is still being promoted for casualties.  0800 anti-terrorism hotline if you want to cause trouble for your Muslim neighbour, 0870 if your dads possibly been blown up. Will the issue of the sole 0870 number they initially issued for contact get a mention in the review?

The review invites public responses on: 7july@london.gov.uk
« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2005 at 3:51pm by barclay55 »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #364 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 3:44pm

This is very strange as they are supposed to have brought in an 0800 number plus a geographic alternative.  This was announced by none other than the Police minister Hazel Blears.

I guess more questions and an FOI.

My head is beginning to hurt at the thought of yet more letters and disappointing responses.  Couldn't the useless Ofcom simply protect uk citizens and consumers against this abuse by banning all 084/ revenue sharing immediately.  Its clear that nothing short of this actually works due to the myths long peddled by the telecoms snake oil merchants.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Re: GLA/Police Enquiry London Blasts
Reply #365 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 5:24pm

Quote:
After all our efforts, WHY has this first number STILL (3/11/05)  not been removed from the Met Police website   (http://www.met.police.uk/news/terrorist_attacks/):
"Casualty Bureau - 0870 1566 344 or 020 7158 0010"

With the alternative GN we forced them to issue, and its international equivalent also listed what is the purpose of still listing the 0870?   Everyone knows in a list of two or more numbers at least 90% of people will dial the first number first.

I fear, barclay55, that you have answered your question. Or am I cynical in thinking (like Bl*nk*tt) that this meets the letter if not the spirit of the law?

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #366 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 6:34pm

Just heard in the background on 6 o'clock news on Radio 4 snippets of the following story:

London Assembly today; London Bombing; use of 0870; slammed; inapproriate; profits now gone to charity; cost of 10p per minute; 43,000 calls in the first hour.

YES 43,000!

Just thought I should let you know so that people can listen out for the story properly as I only got a few garbled words (in the shower at the time!).

I know a member of the London Assembly whom I asked to raise the issue of the 0870 number being used at the time. I will email her to find out more info if I can.

IP Logged

barclay55

London
Reply #367 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 7:12pm

According to BBC London news tonight the issue of the 0870 has been raised at this GLA/Police London Bombings review, and bless her Emily Maitlis did call it a premium number.

Got the usual mumbling prepared police line, apology, wont happen again, contingencies made now, profits to charity, blah blah.  Strange how the Hazel Drears line re call routeing technology has gone out of the window now.  But the police bloke did say there was an freephone number now which aint on the met. police website, unless he meant the anti-terrorism hotline.

PS Yes Tanllan, guess I have answered my own question
« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2005 at 7:22pm by barclay55 »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #368 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 7:34pm

Quote:
Got the usual mumbling prepared police line, apology, wont happen again, contingencies made now, profits to charity, blah blah. ...

Under normal circumstances it sounds like these people who put 0870 in place are bumbling idiots. But then these are supposed to be intelligent people in charge of national security, so if Ofcom doesn't take the hint that everyone is confused by all this, then nothing will make them see sense.

This needs to be included in responses to the "Way Forward" consultation.
« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2005 at 7:34pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Alternative

Reply #369 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 11:03pm

I heard on the radio earlier on that it was announced that an 0870 number was used as it was easier for people abroad to ring in!  What nonsense!  Most people know that the use of an 0870 makes it much harder from abroad!
« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2005 at 11:04pm by Alternative »  

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #370 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 11:19pm

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4404316.stm

ABOUT TIME TOO. Now for the resignations.

<<

Apology over cost of bomb hotline

The Metropolitan Police has apologised to worried relatives of the 7 July bombing victims who were forced to call a national rate number for information.
Deputy Assistant Commissioner Ron McPherson said the £30,000 made from the 0870 casualty bureau hotline had now been donated to charity.

He told the 7 July Review Committee it was "inappropriate to charge people for a call of that nature".

Thousands of calls were made to the hotline during it's 19-day operation.

Free hotline numbers

The inquiry heard that Scotland Yard was advised to use the number, instead of the usual free 0800 number, because it was easier for overseas callers to contact.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner McPherson said "We should not have used an 0870 number and we will not use it again."

Calls to the number cost about 10p per minute but he stressed the police did not make any money out of the calls and telephone companies that did make a profit have donated it to one of the various funds that was set up.

Several 0800 numbers have now been made available and any hotline number used in a future emergency would be free, Deputy Assistant Commissioner McPherson said.

Line fault

A total of 52 people died when bombs exploded on three Tube trains and a bus during the morning rush hour.

The bureau normally takes about three hours to set up, but it took four hours on 7 July because staff were unable to get to the centre due to blocked roads and restricted train services.

The inquiry heard that a line fault between BT and the bureau's Hendon base meant that the first call was received at 1640 BST.

Each call took between seven and 12 minutes to deal with as operators took down information that could be used to identify victims or for use in police investigations.
>>
« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2005 at 11:20pm by idb »  

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #371 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 11:32pm

There was a reference to emergency helpline on the BBC 10 o'clock News this evening. All it said was that callers were charged for calls, nothing on the rip-off nature of these charges.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #372 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 11:49pm

Quote:
The inquiry heard that Scotland Yard was advised to use the number, instead of the usual free 0800 number, because it was easier for overseas callers to contact.
I would really like to know which, presumably government, agency provided this advice. It is clearly wrong. As Dave said earlier, if the so-called experts cannot get this right, what hope is there for the public. I have made a similar point in my response which I hope to submit early next week.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #373 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 1:30am

Quote:
There was a reference to emergency helpline on the BBC 10 o'clock News this evening. All it said was that callers were charged for calls, nothing on the rip-off nature of these charges.

BBC Radio 4 news was covering it along the lines that the police were condemned for charging a premium rate for calling the casualty bureau or words to that effect.  It definitely wasn't just portrayed as though the call was being charged at normal national rate when people thought it should be free.

If the Capita/C&W 0870 censor was at work everywhere in the BBC then presumably the You & Yours coverage would never have been possible.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, DaveM, Dave, Forum Admin, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge