Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FOI - Met Police 0870helpline. (Read 12,440 times)
omy

I came - I saw - I went
home.

FOI - Met Police 0870helpline.
Jul 17th, 2005 at 7:25am

I wrote to Ailsa Beaton to express my feelings re. the 0870 and in my email said  "...These are 'profit generating' premium rate numbers (BT website description) and provide income for the telecom provider AND the user, ie the Met.).  This is an affront to decency in these circumstances, and we intend requesting how much was made from this situation, under the FOI Act, by the perpetrators."
I have just had a reply (from robin.yu@met.police.uk) giving me my FOI Act number and says :-
"I note you seek access to the following information:

Justification for using the 0870 number for the helpline. "

So, although I only said I 'intended' requesting info, someone has decided the actual question I might have asked!!  So now I wonder what their reply will be to their own question??  Will it really give figures (as I was going to ask!), and where did I mention 'justification'?
Might be interesting , though.
Will let you know any response.

IP Logged

omy

I came - I saw - I went
home.

Re: FOI - Met Police 0870helpline.
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2005 at 8:19am

Got my response from my FOI enquiry, it said:-

"The Police Information Technology Organisation  (PITO) negotiated the contract with Cable and Wireless to provide National Mutual Aid Telephony between forces and members of the public as part of the PNN2 framework arrangement for data and telecommunications services, and provided the 0870 number for our use. This mutual aid capability is essential to give the police service the number of call handling positions it needs for a major incident at short notice,

Shortly after the MPS Casualty Bureau became operative on 7 July, it became apparent that not all non-UK telephony service providers were able to connect to the non-geographic 0870 number. PITO, therefore, provided, at the MPS's request, a geographic number (0207 158 0010) to sit alongside the 0870 number from the evening of 8 July. This was published on the MPS website and released by our Press Office.

Minister for Policing Hazel Blears has announced an urgent review into the use of the 0870 number. The Home Office is leading on that work and will announce the findings in due course.

I should make absolutely clear that neither the Home Office, nor PITO nor the MPS has profited financially from the use of the 0870 number. Cable and Wireless have agreed to donate their profits from the use of the 0870 number to the London Bombings Relief Fund and Hazel Blears has asked  mobile phone service providers to do the same, or to waive the charge to their customers."

So it appears they immediately realised their error (presumably nothing to do with our 'prompting'!) and they did not make money out of it themselves (Thinks "Now where have I heard that before??").
Yes, all that well advertised 'forward planning' by the emergency services did pay off!!

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #2 - Aug 5th, 2005 at 1:48pm

My own response arrived today.

<<
I write in connection with your request for information dated 08/07/2005. I note you seek access to information relating to:

·        The Metropolitan Police Service's use of an 0870 number for the Casualty Bureau in response to the terrorist attacks of 7 July.

Your email is one of a number we have received raising issues of concern surrounding the use of these numbers.

I will answer your questions using your numbering.

1 - What is the underlying geographic number to 0870 1566 344?

Casualty Bureaux do not use the same numbers for different incidents, so there is no standard number to give an equivalent for.

2 - Why was a non-geographic number used for the casualty bureau?

In relation to the Casualty Bureau number, the Police Information Technology Organisation  (PITO) negotiated the contract with Cable and Wireless to provide National Mutual Aid Telephony between forces and members of the public as part of the PNN2 framework arrangement for data and telecommunications services, and provided the 0870 number for our use. This mutual aid capability is essential to give the police service the number of call handling positions it needs for a major incident at short notice.

3 - Does the Metropolitan Police recognize the difficulty in calling the 0870 number from overseas and if so, why wasn't an alternative number provided?

Shortly after the MPS Casualty Bureau became operative on 7 July, it became apparent that not all non-UK telephony service providers were able to connect to the non-geographic 0870 number. PITO, therefore, provided, at the MPS's request, a geographic number (020 7158 0010) to sit alongside the 0870 number from the evening of Friday 8 July. This was published on the MPS website and released by our Press Office.

A working group, led by the Home Office, was established to look at the telephony arrangements for the operation of the Casualty Bureau. Hazel Blears, Minister for Policing, has agreed that the use of 0870 should be discontinued in favour of a combination of 0800 and a geographic 020 number, which will be marketed primarily for the use of overseas callers. These arrangements are already in place and will be activated in the event of another major incident requiring the opening of a Casualty Bureau. The Casualty Bureau to service 7/7 closed on 27 July.   

4 - Which party receives the revenue generated from the 0870 number and how much has been generated?

Neither the MPS nor the Home Office, nor PITO has profited financially from the use of the 0870 number for the MPS Casualty Bureau.

Cable and Wireless have agreed to donate their profits from the use of the 0870 number to the London Bombings Relief Fund and Hazel Blears has asked mobile phone service providers to do the same, or to waive the charge to their customers.

5 - Is the Metropolitan Police aware of the government\'s own advice regarding call centers and 0870 numbers?

This information is provided by the COI and can be found at http://www.coi.gov.uk/ccg/download.php \'cost to citizen\' update.

The COI guidelines relate to the use of 0870 numbers and the provision of alternative numbers for low income earners. Since the MPS do not contract for 0870 numbers the guidelines are not applicable.

COMPLAINT RIGHTS

Your attention is drawn to the attached sheet which details your right of complaint.

Should you have any further inquiries concerning this matter, please contact the Public Access Office on 020 7161 3555 quoting the reference number above.
>>

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #3 - Aug 5th, 2005 at 2:21pm

Heres my response from them.

The Metropolitan Police Service's use of 0870 and 0845 telephone numbers.

Your email is one of a number we have received raising issues of concern surrounding the use of these numbers.

I will answer your questions using your numbering.

1.      Do you use 0870 telephone numbers?

In general, no. We believe the only one we ever used was for the MPS Casualty Bureau number on 7 July which was our first use of a new Police Information Technology Organisation (PITO) provided service. There are no 0870 numbers currently in use by the MPS (the Casualty Bureau to service the 7 July terrorist attacks closed on 27 July).

1.1.        And if so, why do you use 0870 numbers?

In relation to the Casualty Bureau number used on 7 July, PITO negotiated the contract with Cable and Wireless to provide National Mutual Aid Telephony between forces and members of the public as part of the Police National Network framework arrangement for data and telecommunications services, and provided the 0870 number for our use. This mutual aid capability is essential to give the police service the number of call handling positions it needs for a major incident at short notice.

Shortly after the MPS Casualty Bureau became operative on 7 July, it became apparent that not all non-UK telephony service providers were able to connect to the non-geographic 0870 number. PITO, therefore, provided, at the MPS's request, a geographic number (020 7158 0010) to sit alongside the 0870 number from the evening of Friday 8 July. This was published on the MPS website and released by our Press Office.

A working group, led by the Home Office, was established to look at the telephony arrangements for the operation of the Casualty Bureau. Hazel Blears, Minister for Policing, has agreed that the use of 0870 should be discontinued in favour of a combination of 0800 and a geographic 020 number, which will be marketed primarily for the use of overseas callers. These arrangements are already in place and will be activated in the event of another major incident requiring the opening of a Casualty Bureau.

1.2.        What are the equivalent geographical numbers?

See above in respect of the Casualty Bureau for 7 July. Casualty Bureaux do not use the same numbers for different incidents, so there is no standard number to give an equivalent for.

1.3.        What revenue do you receive per minute and in total from the use of 0870 numbers?

Neither the MPS, nor the Home Office, nor PITO has profited financially from the use of the 0870 number for the MPS Casualty Bureau.

1.4.        Are you aware of the revenue collected by your telecom provider, from your callers?

Cable and Wireless have agreed to donate their profits from the use of the 0870 number to the London Bombings Relief Fund and Hazel Blears has asked mobile phone service providers to do the same, or to waive the charge to their customers.

1.5.        Have you considered the revised COI1 guidelines?

The COI guidelines relate to the use of 0870 numbers and the provision of alternative numbers for low income earners. Since the MPS do not contract for 0870 numbers the guidelines are not applicable.

1.5.1.        If so, what conclusions did you come to?

Not applicable.

1.6.        Do you realise that all calls (local/national) cost the same?

This will depend on service provider, domestic, business, mobile, VoIP rates etc.

1.7.        Are you aware of the cost implications to your callers, when using 0870 numbers?

We have never considered contracting for 0870 numbers.

2.      Why do you use 0845 numbers?

0845 numbers are used for Recruitment and E-Crime Lines.

There are significant benefits to the MPS of 0845 numbers. For example, call restriction, use of MIS systems available for telemarketing services that allow us to 'real-time' monitor demand which in turn allows us to provide a better quality service to the public.

2.1.   And if so, what are the equivalent geographical numbers?

020 8358 0432 - Recruitment
020 7799 3939 - E-Crime

2.2.   What revenue do you receive per minute and in total from the use of 0845 numbers?

None - these services are owned and operated by our service partner Damovo UK Limited.

2.3.        Are you aware of the revenue collected by your telecom provider, from your callers?

No - these services are owned and operated by our service partner Damovo UK Limited.

2.4.   Have you considered the revised COI1 guidelines?

See 1.5 above.

2.4.1.        If so, what conclusions did you come to?

See 1.5.1 above.

2.5.   Do you realise that all calls (local/national) cost the same?

See 1.6 above.

2.6.   Do you realise that 0845 numbers now offer no cost advantage to callers, irrespective of their location, only disadvantages?

No. There can be cost advantages, depending on where the caller is calling from, what network they are on, and what price band they are on.

2.7.   Are you aware of the cost implications to your callers, when using 0845 numbers?

Yes.   

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #4 - Aug 5th, 2005 at 5:05pm

Quote:

So they never thought about it. Roll Eyes

Quote:
A working group, led by the Home Office, was established to look at the telephony arrangements for the operation of the Casualty Bureau. Hazel Blears, Minister for Policing, has agreed that the use of 0870 should be discontinued in favour of a combination of 0800 and a geographic 020 number, which will be marketed primarily for the use of overseas callers. These arrangements are already in place and will be activated in the event of another major incident requiring the opening of a Casualty Bureau.

Considering what rubbish Ms Blears spouted about the limits of a geographical number and that 0870 was the only solution, I take what she says with a pinch of salt.

Quote:
1.4.   Are you aware of the revenue collected by your telecom provider, from your callers? 

A straightforward 'yes' or 'no' would suffice. Reading between the lines it looks like it is "Yes, we do now."

Quote:
2.7.   Are you aware of the cost implications to your callers, when using 0845 numbers? 

Yes.

This question doesn't tell us what those 'implications' are, ie good or bad.

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #5 - Aug 5th, 2005 at 6:20pm

Cheers for that Dave.

I fancy doing a follow up, considering the amount of FOI's there getting at the moment.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, Dave, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge