Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Government Buying Agency - Response (Read 15,356 times)
kk

Government Buying Agency - Response
Mar 22nd, 2005 at 12:11pm

In response to my request under the FOI Act 2000, the following letter has been received from the Government’s Buying Agency: OGC Buying Solutions.  (www.ogcbuyingsolutions.gov.uk)

Start of Quote .....

Thank you for your facsimile ... requesting the following information:

Can you disclose:

Why do you use 0870 numbers?

What is the equivalent geographical number?

What revenue you receive per minute and in total from the use of 0870 numbers?

Have you considered the revised COI guidelines?
If so, what conclusions did you come to?

Do you realize that all calls (local/national) cost  the same?

Are you aware of the cost implications to your callers, when using 0870 numbers?

Please disclose all documents and notes on this matter.

Please see the following responses to the questions raised, in the same sequence:

The decision to use an `0870' was made for operational reasons. As Buying Solutions has offices in Liverpool, Norwich, and London we wanted a non-geographical number to achieve economies in the design and operation of our customer facing activities.

The equivalent geographical number is 0151 672 2242.

Buying Solutions does not receive any revenue from the use of this 0870 number: This reflects the fact that the total volume of calls, although fairly large, is not on an industrial scale.

Buying Solutions are currently considering the revised guidance from the Central Office of Information and investigating the feasibility of moving to an 0845 number instead, as well [as] publicising the geographical number on our website.

We do realise that the call charging tariffs are the same.

Buying Solutions is aware of the cost implications for our customers when using an 0870 number, which is the reason why we are looking to move this to an 0845 number, as I mentioned above.

I trust that this information answers the issues that you raised.

.....  End of Quote

« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2005 at 3:09pm by kk »  

KK

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Government Buying Agency - Response
Reply #1 - Mar 22nd, 2005 at 3:04pm

I've added the number to the database.  Wink

IP Logged

GrahamH

Reply #2 - Mar 31st, 2005 at 1:15pm

Quote:
Buying Solutions does not receive any revenue from the use of this 0870 number: This reflects the fact that the total volume of calls, although fairly large, is not on an industrial scale.

Hmm - I get 3p a minute from my personal 0871 number which is used purely to exact revenge on the banks and other customer-unfriendly types who force me to use an 0870 to call them. Perhaps 5 or 10 calls a month, although I do drag the conversations out..!

OGC Buying Solutions, tasked with purchasing a secondhand car, would boast of a major negotiating triumph if they got the wheels and engine included in the final purchase price.

What's the point of 0845? Local rate my ar$e. Usually MORE than Inverness to Penzance on normal nos. Occasionally the same, never less!&&&&OFCOM - A Truly Great Regulator, if you're out to gouge consumers

IP Logged

kk

Reply #3 - Mar 31st, 2005 at 2:06pm

Hi Graham

It is becoming apparent that the government and its agencies are being ripped off as well as callers.  087x and 084x numbers are aggressively marketed by telecom providers using misleading information. 

All numbers can be routed in the exchange.  United Utilities (North West Water) has an 0845 number. I telephoned the equivalent (01) Warrington  numbers; this was answered in India.

KK

IP Logged

nutellajunkie

[GURU MEDITATION]

Alba
Reply #4 - Jul 19th, 2005 at 3:36pm

perfect proof of companies that say they cannot use 01/02 like an 08 number, when indeed they can all be programmed to do that same.

well done on getting the number kk

Call 0800/0808/0500 with no credit! True unlimited talk/text/data. PM for recipe.
IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #5 - Jul 20th, 2005 at 9:40am

Quote:
All numbers can be routed in the exchange.  United Utilities (North West Water) has an 0845 number. I telephoned the equivalent (01) Warrington  numbers; this was answered in India.

It might be being routed within Untied Utilities network, rather than the BT exchange?
But your point is valid (VERY valid) about no longer needing the routing power of the NTS/NGN, merely wanting the revenue - often considerable revenue.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #6 - Jul 20th, 2005 at 10:30am

In the newer edition of the COI advice paper on the use of 0870 numbers by Govt Contact Centres,it spells out quite clearly that on modern switches  geo numbers can now be used,and get the same routing benefits? as ngn numbers.

BJ.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #7 - Jul 21st, 2005 at 11:14pm

Aha. Could you point me in the right direction for this, please?
More ammunition.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Dave, CJT-80, DaveM, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge