Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re: FOI - DVLA 0870 (fob off) (Read 57,724 times)
mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Re: FOI - DVLA 0870 (fob off)
Aug 31st, 2005 at 4:05pm

ANNEX B

Exemption in full:

S43(2)

Information is exempt information if its disclosure under this Act would, or would be likely to, prejudice the commercial interests of any person (including the public authority holding it).

Factors for disclosure

By revealing the amount of money earned by DVLA per minute, DVLA could use the competition to its own benefit, if BT’s competitors were to provide better rates.

There is general public interest in knowing how public funds are managed.

Factors for withholding

DVLA has a commercial contract with BT with special rates that we have negotiated.   If we were to divulge these rates, commercial rivals could gain an advantage over BT in future negotiations with DVLA and other organisations. This disclosure of information, considered as commercially sensitive by BT, could affect the good working relationship DVLA has established with this company. 

Information on the amount of money earned by DVLA from the use of 0870 numbers has been published in the public domain.   The availability of this general information mitigates the fact that the amount of money received per minute per call is withheld.

Reasons why public interest favours withholding information
Companies providing services to DVLA must not be deterred from doing so by fear that information about their revenue and bargaining position could be revealed. It is considered that, although revealing the rates might, in the short term, give the DVLA an advantage, it would, in the long term, be a disadvantage, since it would diminish the confidence potential service providers might have in it. This long term disadvantage is considered serious enough to outweigh the public interest in revealing the information.

Type of Document- Applicable Exemption
COI Guidelines - Section 43(2) – Commercial Interests
E-mail from BT- Section 43(2) – Commercial Interests

[err hang on a min, arnt the COI guidelines allready in the public domain anyway?]

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2005 at 5:22pm

A truly staggering response. I had my own battle with this agency last year but, after many attempts, I got what I wanted, ie the equivalent GN for calling from overseas. Presumably you will be requesting a review. This response so typifies the stupidity of UK government departments and agencies that just can't understand simple concepts.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #2 - Aug 31st, 2005 at 7:31pm

what exactly would I say for the review?

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Re: Reply from the DVLA regarding rip-off 0870
Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 11:24pm

I note that the friendly DVLA now has its own page relating to 0870 FOI responses:

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/0870_numbers.htm

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #4 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 11:51am

Just read some of the responses, and they are of course the ones generated from members of this site.

The first one, actually reveals the geo number, for calling from abroad, which should be regarded as an acceptable alternative.

However other requests deny this information, because the question did not raise concerns for overseas callers, but instead raised questions about the difference in cost between 0870, and geo numbers.

At least it means that anyone reading this, and considering an FOI request should bear in mind, that if the cost of the 0870 is not enough to release the geo number, then difficulty from calling from abroad might be!!

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
DVLA internal review fob off
Reply #5 - Oct 21st, 2005 at 2:53pm

Thank you for your e-mail of 22 September 2005 requesting an internal review to your request for information under the terms of the Freedom of Information Act 2000. 

I am sorry that you are dissatisfied with the Agency’s decision to withhold the information you requested.  This aspect of your complaint has been reviewed and we have responded separately to this issue.  However, I feel that I should expand on your additional points.

The Agency did take into consideration the fact that there is general public interest in knowing how public funds are managed.  However, in this commercial age, disclosure would likely affect our Service Provider and this was the main factor for withholding information on the revenue received per minute from our use of 0870 numbers.  We have received confirmation from BT that they do not wish us to divulge this information.

While other call routing solutions may have some of the advantages from using 0870 numbers, DVLA are satisfied that the current arrangements are the most effective way of answering public telephone enquiries.  I explained the advantages of using 0870 numbers over geographic numbers in my reply of 31 August.  However, I can add that, prior to introducing 0870 numbers for our dedicated Local Office (LO) Contact Centre, we were operating geographic numbers for individual Local Offices in parallel with the non-geographic numbers used for making general enquiries.  The 0870 reports contained far more information than those where a geographic number was being used and allowed us to deliver a far more pro-active service.

You refer to two WebPages of ASA. The arrangements in place, prior to the introduction of 0870 numbers for our enquiry service in November 1999, were considered unfair to those telephoning from far afield compared to those telephoning from Swansea.   While I recognise that the position has now changed amongst some service providers, the factors for withholding the equivalent geographical numbers still outweigh those for disclosure.

While the charges incurred when telephoning 0870 numbers are set by the customers’ Service Provider, the Agency is taking action to provide the information on the website clarifying this position. 

You may be aware that OFCOM have announced a new approach to 0870 numbers.  DVLA is awaiting the outcome of a consultation and will comply with any changes made to the regulation.

I trust that I have clarified the position.

Yours sincerely

Sent unsigned via e-mail

Noel Brock
Customer Services Manager

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: DVLA internal review fob off
Reply #6 - Oct 21st, 2005 at 3:02pm

Mr Brock must be fed up with responding to correspondance about 0870 numbers! lol

mc661 wrote on Oct 21st, 2005 at 2:53pm:
While the charges incurred when telephoning 0870 numbers are set by the customers’ Service Provider, the Agency is taking action to provide the information on the website clarifying this position.

If all else fails, pass the buck.  Roll Eyes

Of course, it's the customers' service provider's fault that they charge these rip-off prices! Afterall, why don't they reduce their prices and pay (out of their own back pocket) for this all important NTS that the DVLA doesn't want to pay for? Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2005 at 5:58pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

dalforce

Dorset
DVLA response to FOI request- for info
Reply #7 - Dec 7th, 2005 at 12:12pm

"Thank you for your request for information on the amount of income DVLA receives per annum from the use of 0870 numbers.

The Agency has completed its search for the information you requested on 27 June 2005 and I can confirm that, for the accounting period 2004-2005, we received £1.3 million from phone calls to our 0870 numbers.

If you are unhappy with the way DVLA has handled your request or with the decisions made in relation to your request you may complain by writing to me.  Please see the attached details of the Department for Transport’s complaint procedure.

If you have any queries about this e-mail, please contact me quoting the above reference number in any future communications.

Yours sincerely

Sent unsigned via e-mail

************( deleted by poster)
Customer Services Manager

IP Logged

a very nice man
Supreme Member

England
Reply #8 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 1:15am

perhaps this is one to try, From UK Info

DRIVING & VEHICLE LICENSING AGENCY
OFFICE EQUIPMENT PURCHASERS ON BEHALF OF DVLA
DVLA A BLOCK
LONGVIEW ROAD

01792 788003

Or from BT.com

DVLA

International/General Enquiries
Tel: 01792 782341
Swansea SA6 7JL

Wooden balance bikes for only £35 + postage. www.easycyclers.co.uk
IP Logged

bonzo26

FOI : DVLA October 2006
Reply #9 - Nov 2nd, 2006 at 5:43pm

In a courteous and timely response to a request from me for information regarding revenue generated for the DVLA through the use of 0870 nu7mbers the following response was received:

"The table below sets out the revenue received from our service provider in resoect of 0870 numbers:

2000-1 £     47,680.47  Not confirmed
2001-2 £   111.015.96  Not confirmed
2002-3 £   585.077.38
2003-4 £   384,754.29
2004-5 £1,309,208.45
2006-6 £2.423,516.79"

There is a reference in their response to a change in accounting procedures that mean that the 2000/01 and 2001/02 figures may not accurately reflect just the revenue from 0870 numbers but could include other revenue as well.

With almost £4 million extracted from telephone callers in just two years and with the figure apparently rising exponentially, the DVLA response clearly indicates how this government department is failing to give value for money to its customers.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: FOI : DVLA October 2006
Reply #10 - Nov 2nd, 2006 at 8:58pm

bonzo26 wrote on Nov 2nd, 2006 at 5:43pm:
With almost £4 million extracted from telephone callers in just two years and with the figure apparently rising exponentially, the DVLA response clearly indicates how this government department is failing to give value for money to its customers.

Indeed, with the new service where you can buy your tax disc on the phone (with obligatory premium 0870), you can see that this Agency will engineer new telephone services to extract yet more covert revenue from the UK's telephone users.
« Last Edit: Nov 2nd, 2006 at 9:05pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Smasher

UK
Reply #11 - Nov 2nd, 2006 at 10:54pm

Off topic, but you must also be aware of recent problems with this new tax disc method - some databases haven't always updated, leading to innocent motorists being stopped by ANPR cameras in police traffic cars  Roll Eyes  Not to mention it being delayed/lost in the post...

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #12 - Nov 3rd, 2006 at 2:55pm

Smasher wrote on Nov 2nd, 2006 at 10:54pm:
Off topic, but you must also be aware of recent problems with this new tax disc method - some databases haven't always updated, leading to innocent motorists being stopped by ANPR cameras in police traffic cars  Roll Eyes  Not to mention it being delayed/lost in the post...

I bought my new tax disc the other day and went to my nearest post office that issues them.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #13 - Nov 3rd, 2006 at 3:16pm

Dave wrote on Nov 3rd, 2006 at 2:55pm:
I bought my new tax disc the other day and went to my nearest post office that issues them.

I did the same for my car and the wife's as well (bad planning, both needed renewing the same month) and I'd urge everyone to do so too - use a rural Post Office if possible so we don't lose them.

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, DaveM, Dave, bbb_uk, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge