Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 35
Send Topic Print
NHS Patientline 49p per minute Ofcom Investigation (Read 509,244 times)
bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Re: NHS Patientline 49p per minute Ofcom Investiga
Reply #30 - Jul 25th, 2005 at 8:44pm

Officially I deal with repairing/building computers, etc but because I'm technically-minded I pick-up on other things easily.  For instance, I know a fair bit about electricity and have been called upon for my expertise in this area.  I've done fault diagnostics and rewired parts of a house that was badly wired (it broke wiring regulations).

I don't of course have any qualifications in anything else (except computers) so these are just side-lines so to speak.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #31 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 12:38am

More media coverage of the scammers:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1708213,00.html

<<

A GROUP of private companies accused of charging patients and relatives exorbitant rates to use hospital phones and televisions are to be investigated by the communications regulator.

Ofcom will announce today that it is to examine charges levied by the companies, particularly for incoming calls to patients’ bedside phones, which can far exceed the cost of dialling Australia. [...]

The investigation, which could last several months, comes after an outcry this year over charges of up to 49p a minute for friends and relatives to phone an NHS hospital — when a peak rate call on a typical BT domestic line was just under 22p a minute. Watching a bedside television can also cost up to £3.50 a day.

Patientline — run by Derek Lewis, the former director-general of the Prison Service, — pledged to co-operate fully with Ofcom but believed the investigation would vindicate the terms of the licences and contracts required by the NHS. [...]

Rival companies such as Premier Managed Payphones, the Wandsworth Group and HTS, charge between £2.50 and £3 a day for television.

Premier charges 10p a minute for outgoing calls and up to 49p for incoming, while HTS charges 10p a minute to landline phones and 30p to mobile phones for outgoing calls.Patient associations have described the costs as prohibitively high, particularly for the large number of pensioners who end up in hospital for long periods of time.

They have also been highly critical of some of the sales tactics used by companies such as Premier, which was found to be recruiting sales personnel to encourage patients to purchase their services.

Mr Lewis said the solution to the issue of the cost of phone calls lay in the NHS taking advantage of the other applications offered by Patientline systems, including food ordering, patient surveys and access to clinical information.

“If the NHS uses these systems and pays a fair price, it can provide the basis for reducing the burden on friends and relatives,” he said. Among the benefits to the NHS were improved care, fewer medical errors and greater patient satisfaction, he added. [...]

Patientline, which provides media systems to more than 150 hospitals, charges callers 39p a minute off-peak and 49p at all other times. Outgoing calls are from 10p a minute.

A call to Australia during the day costs 22p a minute and phoning America is charged at 14p a minute. Daytime local and national calls from British Telecom’s standard “option one” package are charged at 3p a minute on weekdays.

Mobile telephones, an easier alternative, are prohibited by hospitals because they interfere with heart monitoring and testing equipment.

« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2005 at 12:49am by idb »  

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 8:35am

I wonder what it costs to ring a Patientline personal number from a pay as you go mobile phone or from a BT Payphone, which the poorest pensioners might use.

It seems to me that the government should be conducting an own initiative investigation into the manager or director at the NHS who agreed to this scam.  Or would that have been the main NHS operational board?

It would be great if you could get together a post with all these press articles of the last couple of weeks in idb and then get Dave or Daniel to add this to the board with a sticky.  Hopefully he could then give you the password to edit and maintain the thread.
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2005 at 2:50pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #33 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 8:57am

If you are reading this thread and you are being forced to call your friends/relatives using this rip off service.The cheapest provider is www.call1899.co.uk(Note you must use the 08081708708 access no) the normal access does not appear to work.Calls will cost you 15p a min at all times.

www.call1899.co.uk
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2005 at 9:00am by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #34 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 9:06am

Is there a typo in the Times Article.Do they not mean that a typical peak rate call costs a domestic subscriber 2.2p not 22p.!!!

BJ.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 2:53pm

Quote:
The cheapest provider is www.call1899.co.uk(Note you must use the 08081708708 access no) the normal access does not appear to work.Calls will cost you 15p a min at all times.

www.call1899.co.uk

Or www.1899.com as they are more usually known.  It is 18866 who always have the call thing in their name.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #36 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 3:32pm

To add insult to injury if you want to find a friends/relatives exact no in the hospital, i notice that you have to ring a specific 070 no,or in some cases an 0870 number (which they claim is National Rate).
Talk about squeezing people dry!!!

BJ.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 3:34pm

Quote:
Talk about squeezing people dry!!!

bigjohn,

Given the context surely you mean "bleeding people dry""? Wink Grin

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #38 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 3:43pm

Quote:
bigjohn,

Given the context surely you mean "bleeding people dry""? Wink Grin

Yes.That sums the situation up to a T  Smiley
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2005 at 3:43pm by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 4:03pm

Quote:
Is there a typo in the Times Article.Do they not mean that a typical peak rate call costs a domestic subscriber 2.2p not 22p.!!!

Well  the BT Option 1 daytime national rate is 3p per minute so who knows where he got that figure from.

I suggest you email sam.lister@the-times.co.uk and set him right on the matter.

Also pointing out to Mr Lister the cost of calling Patientline from a mobile and a BT Payphone might be helpful.

Can someone give me an example Patientline number so I can check out the cost with BT Payphone and with Vodafone.

Note that Mr Lister is their health correspondent so he may be on a steep learning curve over this issue.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #40 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 4:13pm

Quote:
Can someone give me an example Patientline number so I can check out the cost with BT Payphone and with Vodafone.

I recall a guy on this site was using an 07046 number to call his brother in Hospital.

BJ.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #41 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 4:15pm

Yet more media coverage.This time from BBC news.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4714819.stm

BJ.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #42 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 4:19pm

Quote:

All the scam numbers are listed here:

http://www.patientline.co.uk/int_loc.asp?in_name=Any&country=Any&city=Any

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #43 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 4:38pm

From the BBC article:-

("Patientline said it would postpone the installation of new systems at 20 UK hospitals until the situation became clearer.

Premier Managed Payphones, founded in 1991, manages bedside communication and entertainment services with 12 NHS hospitals over 15 year terms.

A company spokesman said: "We will co-operate with Ofcom, but we have entered into these deals on the NHS's terms. They selected the best kit available." )

Doesn't this all sound horribly like the nasty Pito situation again with Patientline and Premier Managed Payphones actually being willing to offer geographic phone numbers to patients if only the NHS hadn't tried to get the system for nothing instead of paying these companies for it as capital investment in the fabric of their hospitals.

Of course you could argue that Patientline should have known they were digging their own grave by setting up this Personal Number based service.  Anyone thinking of trying to sue the government for breach of contract and trust etc should look at what happened to Railtrack.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #44 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 4:46pm

Quote:

I think you will find these numbers all go through to the same Patient Line Customer care centre.(In some cases you will also see 0870 212 1234 mentioned instead of 070.EG. Royal Bournemouth&Southampton General.

They then allocate you a personal number 070 to ring  the patient you want to chat with.Hence my earlier comments about squeezing/bleeding people dry.Cos they have 2 bites at the cherry.

Its when you ring the 070 number they give you,that you hit the music for a while,before you get to the patient.
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2005 at 4:49pm by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 35
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, CJT-80, Forum Admin, Dave, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge