Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
AOL Customer Services changed from free to 0870 (Read 33,038 times)
jochrisbryan

AOL Customer Services changed from free to 0870
Jul 25th, 2005 at 12:37pm

I am surprised there has not been a discussion on AOL changing their freephone helpline to 0870.
I wonder if you can point me in the direction of the thread regarding this, if one.
I would like to know if there is a geographical number.

~ Edit by Dave: Threads merged and title amended.
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2006 at 12:59pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Re: AOL
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2005 at 1:06pm

There should be short thread on  it some where on this site , as i recall posting it.

There is a long thread  about it on the mse site.see
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=66798

The alternative no was 0117 919 1100.I dont know if this still works now that the 0870 number is running.Perhaps you could let us know.
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2005 at 1:09pm by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

jochrisbryan

Re: AOL
Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2005 at 1:19pm

Yes just tried it and the opening voice says " Welcome to AOL, your free helpline"
0870 does not start until 01/08/2005, that might be the day to check.
Trouble is with the thread on mse being widely discussed and AOL  having been contacted re this issue, seeing the geographical number, i reckon they will block this one.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

AOL to Charge for Customer Service Calls.
Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2005 at 3:14pm

AOL are to start using an 0870 number for General advice and Technical Support. Martin MSE has recently announced on the MSE site.(Up unto now calls have been free).

Martin has spoken to them and they have confirmed that they will make money from the calls,and they cant promise they want be held in a queue.

BJ.

IP Logged

bill

Re: AOL to Charge for Customer Service Calls.
Reply #4 - Jun 23rd, 2005 at 3:32pm

Isn't AOL the ISP which dumps all manner of garbage onto your computer when you use their setup CD?

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #5 - Jun 23rd, 2005 at 5:01pm

Yes the very same one that has Call Centres in the UK,EIRE,and INDIA.

BJ.

IP Logged

Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #6 - Jun 23rd, 2005 at 10:50pm

Anyone who is with AOL can vote with their feet [without penalty] (regardless of how far through their 12 month contract they are).

I have just had the following confirmation from AOL.

"The new number represents a change to the current AOL Member Agreement, so you have the right to cancel your contract with AOL within 30 days of the email notifying you of this change."

Thanks
Daniel

Check Out the main website at http://www.saynoto0870.com
IP Logged

Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - Jun 26th, 2005 at 12:26pm

Should you wish to cancel your AOL contract early due to the changes in them moving their support lines from 0800 to 0870 numbers, you need to call them on 0800 376 4406 and choose the option for cancellations.

There is no requirement to give them 30 days notice, and it doesn't matter if you are still within your 12 month contract.

Hope this helps some of you that were wanting to leave AOL for this reason, or another reason.

Thanks
Daniel

Check Out the main website at http://www.saynoto0870.com
IP Logged

omy

I came - I saw - I went
home.

Reply #8 - Jun 26th, 2005 at 1:14pm

Wish I was with AOL so that I could cancel!
No, on second thoughts I'm glad I never went near them, most users I know are always complaining (hence the reason for going 'premium rate' I assume - to screw more cash from it's 'customers')!
« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2005 at 1:15pm by omy »  

IP Logged

jochrisbryan

Reply #9 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 3:55pm

Think I may  be on to a freephone number, I rang to enquire about the AOL talk package re a letter I received this morning.
The number to ring is 0800 200 6200.
When you cnnect there is a choice of thre options, press 3 and it is for calls not relating to AOL talk. Grin

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #10 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 5:24pm

jochrisbryan wrote on Jul 26th, 2005 at 3:55pm:
Think I may  be on to a freephone number, I rang to enquire about the AOL talk package re a letter I received this morning.
The number to ring is 0800 200 6200.
When you cnnect there is a choice of thre options, press 3 and it is for calls not relating to AOL talk. Grin

When you press that option it tells you to ring
0800 376 5432. which is the number that is supposed to cease on the1/8/05.

~ Edit by Dave: Thread merged and link on quote box updated.
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2006 at 12:50pm by Dave »  

BJ.

IP Logged

vinny

Reply #11 - Aug 30th, 2005 at 12:22pm

Hi, I just tried the no. given on the website here for AOL Tech support (0117 919 1100). A support person in India told me it is only for dial-up support. She gave me 08703 202020 for broadband support, but couldn't (or wouldn't) give me a geographical no.
Does anyone else have any new info please? Many thanks.

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #12 - Aug 30th, 2005 at 7:06pm

0117 919 1100 I would guess, being a Bristol number goes through to the old Compuserve centre at 1 redcliffe way, bristol.

Used to live in bristol back in the days of Compuserve and if I ever had a problem with them I always went and saw a person face to face! ah those were the days!

IP Logged

PeDaSp

Reply #13 - Aug 30th, 2005 at 7:37pm

AOL are such a load of useless poo. Gawd knows why anyone signs-up with them. I just don't see the point.

And ye olde Compuserve!! Yes I remember them fondly. I stuck my Compuserve email address on my biz card many, many years ago - and folks used to think I was crazy! - "what's this stupid email stuff then? It'll never catch on etc..." Smiley)

But being billed per Kb of message was the funny bit! Imagine that now?

But soon VoIP will come and rescue us all and we will no more pay for call charges then we would pay for email!

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Aug 31st, 2005 at 8:26pm

PeDaSp wrote on Aug 30th, 2005 at 7:37pm:
But soon VoIP will come and rescue us all and we will no more pay for call charges then we would pay for email!

PeDaSp contrary to your overly optimistic predictions on Voip you will still pay for voice calls to the abusers because there is a clear cost to them in taking voice calls that cannot be avoided.  Clearly ICSTIS will set up a replacement regime for current 09 premium numbers using Voip calling and credit card payments instead.

Easyjet successfully avoids all possible support costs on emails sent to them by forwarding them all immediately to the recycle bin.  That is why emails can be received for free.  Because there is no need for merely receiving an email to impose any additional costs on your business at all.  But taking voice calls does impose an additional cost, assuming that is that you ever let the caller escape from the electronic queue and speak to a human operator instead! Wink Roll Eyes

By the way as to Compuserve charging oddly well they still charge a 10USD monthly retainer fee just for still having the account and then munificently allow you to connect for 5 hours a month, so long as you pay the phone bill, and then after that charge 3USD an hour just to be connected on a phone call for which you are paying.  My mother had one of these legacy email accounts she inherited from my father.  I have recently finally weaned her away in favour of a £5 per month 0808 dial up service from www.flexi-surf.co.uk.

The whole point of being an AOL customer was that you were a dummy who needed your hand held which is why they were always the most expensive in the market place.  To not only ditch 0800 calls but to replace it with 0870 is utterly beyond belief.  The people who run these businesses are utter cynics.

~ Edit by Dave: Thread merged and link on quote box updated.
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2006 at 12:50pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, DaveM, CJT-80, Dave, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge