Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
AOL Customer Services changed from free to 0870 (Read 33,250 times)
PeDaSp

Re: AOL to Charge for Customer Service Calls.
Reply #15 - Aug 31st, 2005 at 9:13pm

NGM: Agree with most of what you say. But as I've said before, the current situation is:

A: The public are used to paying for ALL calls to their friends, family and companies.

B: But they are duped into paying MORE for 0870/45 is the fuzzy belief they are "normal rate" calls.

C: They clearly know when they are paying for premium rate calls.

But after VoIP, the public will get used to NOT PAYING for calls at all to their friends, family and many companies. Then when they ARE forced to pay for a call via a VoIP credit card system (which I agree will happen) they will REALLY be aware of it.

And when some companies start to issue VoIP numbers for contact; all the others WILL be forced to follow suit.

It won't be nirvana - but it will be progress.

I'm not totally against companies charging for customer support. Many, many customers cannot be bothered to read manuals, pay for profession IT support or look at a website closely. They much prefer to just ring a support line. Anybody who works on a support or customer service line can regale you with stories of stupid lazy customers.

Why should I pay extra for my products and services for plebs to spend hours talking on the phone because they're morons???

ie: anybody who is signed-up to AOL is by definition a pleb-moron and deserves to pay through the nose to talk to some other pleb-moron in AOL customer support.

« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2005 at 9:15pm by PeDaSp »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Aug 31st, 2005 at 9:41pm

PeDaSp wrote on Aug 31st, 2005 at 9:13pm:
ie: anybody who is signed-up to AOL is by definition a pleb-moron and deserves to pay through the nose to talk to some other pleb-moron in AOL customer support

AOL customers more than pay through the nose through the excessive subscription costs compared to other ISPs.  So historically AOL could afford the 0800 number.

Presumably with greater price competition on broadband and greater user simplicity in broadband set up with Windows XP they are now going to have to compete on subscription price instead.

I have no time for AOL given they way they deliberately provided no upgrade for Compuserve customers who wanted to keep their Compuserve email address.

~ Edit by Dave: Thread merged and link on quote box updated.
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2006 at 12:51pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Freddie

Reply #17 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 8:23pm

mc661 wrote on Aug 30th, 2005 at 7:06pm:
0117 919 1100 I would guess, being a Bristol number goes through to the old Compuserve centre at 1 redcliffe way, bristol.

Actually it takes you to their New Delhi call centre, where the service is c**p!!

« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2006 at 12:53pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #18 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 11:35pm

Freddie wrote on Sep 1st, 2005 at 8:23pm:
Actually it takes you to their New Delhi call centre, where the service is c**p!!

theyve still got an office on the....errr 10th floor I think at 1 redcliffe way, bristol.

« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2006 at 12:54pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 11:38pm

mc661 wrote on Sep 1st, 2005 at 11:35pm:
theyve still got an office on the....errr 10th floor I think at 1 redcliffe way, bristol.

So AOL customers get routed to India and pay extra for the privilege!

Surely the huge reduction in the number of customers bothering to call once they had discovered the number went to India would have meant there was no need to also switch from 0800 to 0870.

« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2006 at 12:54pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Justin

Thatfreebie.com
AOL Number
Reply #20 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 11:06am

I have come across a number for AOL 0117 919 1100 I am fed up of the 0870 numbers AOL keep you online for ages and it is starting to cost a bit Sad  Does anyone have free phone numbers still for aol

Sorry if this has been posted before

Justin

Why not visit www.thatfreebie.com Smiley and enjoy freebies Smiley

IP Logged

orsonkart
Ex Member

AOL Talk 0870 Customer Service? number.
Reply #21 - Sep 13th, 2006 at 6:47pm

From their site.

"Customers who order AOL Talk by 27 August 2006 will be able to call AOL Member Services on 0870 320 2020 at no extra cost. Calls to Member Services for customers ordering AOL Talk after 27 August 2006 will be charged at the applicable rate for a 0870 number under the available AOL Talk price plan(s). "

IP Logged

Justin

Thatfreebie.com
Re: AOL Talk 0870 Customer Service? number.
Reply #22 - Sep 13th, 2006 at 10:36pm

Other countries: (International access code) + 44 117 919 1100  Just use a 0 instead of the +44 it works fine Smiley

IP Logged

Jimmy S

Surrey
AOL
Reply #23 - Nov 23rd, 2006 at 11:30am

Thought you might be interested in a copy of a letter I've just sent to the Customer services head of the company in the UK:
November 23 2006

Dear Ms O’Leary

I have been a long term AOL subscriber. I recently took up the offer of broadband with the free Netgear router. I’m pretty good with a computer but I did encounter many problems getting the wireless system to work properly.

What I am complaining about is that the time I spent on the phone to your customer services 0870 number has cost me nearly 10 pounds! This is an absolute outrage. It would actually have been cheaper for me to have rung the 1 800 AOL customer services number in the US on my cheap rate to the US with One-Tel.

I would be interested in your position on this. Customer services should not charge a premium rate. Are you considering reintroducing an 0 800 number. I spend a lot of time in the US and I guarantee the US public wouldn’t put up with the scandal that is 0870 numbers for customer services.

Sincerely

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Re: AOL
Reply #24 - Nov 23rd, 2006 at 11:35am

Remember that AOL has now been bought by the greedy Carphone Warehouse who utilise mostly 0870 numbers so I very much doubt that they will go back to freephone or even the new 03x range when available.

IP Logged

Justin

Thatfreebie.com
Re: AOL Customer Services changed from free to 087
Reply #25 - Nov 23rd, 2006 at 3:00pm

From Charle Dunstone's blog, entry 017 of Monday 13 November 2006:
Quote:
AOL customers, welcome to the Carphone Warehouse family
I want to reassure you that we have no plans to change the service in any way at all. It will continue to be run by the existing team and will work, look and feel just as it does today. We have entered a long-term deal with Time Warner to keep providing the AOL content and we don't want to mess with what has clearly been a very popular product to date. In the New Year, all AOL customers will be offered the choice of transferring to Free Broadband if they want, by moving their line rental to TalkTalk and signing up for our Talk3 international telephone service. There will be continuity of service with the ability to take your AOL email address to TalkTalk and access to much of the content you previously enjoyed.

Being a AOL customer i am not sure what to think

Edited:
by Dave:
Quote box and link to blog added. Also added the bit about it being Charles Dunstone's blog as I initially thought that Justin was a Carphone Warehouse employee.
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2006 at 4:11pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Justin

Thatfreebie.com
Re: AOL Customer Services changed from free to 087
Reply #26 - Nov 25th, 2006 at 1:43am

Thanks Dave I d not work for CWH lol

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, CJT-80, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge