Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rightmove.co.uk and 0845 numbers (Read 25,207 times)
alanenglish

Rightmove.co.uk and 0845 numbers
Jul 25th, 2005 at 9:05pm

As a big user of the Rightmove website at http://www.rightmove.co.uk I have noticed that in the last few months they have started replacing the geographical numbers of Estate Agents with 0845 numbers.

To see this for yourself, visit the site and carry out a search for properties for sale in your area, and take a look at the results list, I reckon that more than half of the agents now have 0845 numbers listed.

Being on an inclusive UK calls package (with my broadband provider Nildram) I am naturally reluctant to call agents on 0845 numbers which are not included in my (or many other) call packages, so I sent an e-mail to Rightmove (talk-to-us@rightmove.co.uk) to protest about the replacement of geographic numbers with NGN, and got the following reply from Stuart Chung (stuart.chung@Rightmove.co.uk):

"Thank you for your email.

The reason why Rightmove introduced 0845 numbers for our agents is to allow them to track the number of leads Rightmove provides them in the same way we track their emails.  The benefit for the users of the site is that when calling a national number they would traditionally pay less.

This is an initiative which Rightmove pays for and in no way shape or form do we make any money from this, it is both for the benefit of our member agents and our site users.

The reason we label the 0845 with "(low call rate)" is because some companies actually label them with "local rate" which implies that firstly it is the same call costs has a local BT call and secondly that the call charge maybe included has you say in the their BT together package.  By labeling the calls "(low call rate)", implies just that, a low call rate is applied which I believe is anywhere between 3-5p per minute depending on the telecoms provider.

Please be assured that Rightmove acts on both the interest of it's users and it's members."

I find that last sentence the hardest to swallow. How is this in the interest of it's users?!

So Rightmove are getting us to pay extra for calls to it's agents so they can provide them with marketing information. What an absolute outrage!!

Rightmove is a probably the biggest property site in the UK and most Estate Agents have or are signing up with them.

Do the agents know that their clients have to pay extra to contact them on these numbers?

What can we do to make users and agents aware of what is happening? I have considered writing to Estate Agent associations and individual agents, but what is the best way to get this information out in public?

At the moment there is a workaround for users, as clicking on one of the properties and then on 'About Agent' will reveal the geographical number (I don't want to point this out to Rightmove or they might change these numbers too!).

I have written again to Stuart Chung pointing out the error of their ways, and suggesting that they should replace the 'Low Call Rate' label with 'Slightly Higher than National Rate' or, if they really want to act in everyone's interest, use 0800 numbers, but have not heard back from him.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Re: Rightmove.co.uk and 0845 numbers
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2005 at 10:29pm

Point out to them also that are probaly breaching the ASA guidelines which say that the true cost of the call should be indicated if the NGN is used in advertising.
Eg 08456789100(Calls to this number cost from 4p a min,and can be dearer from a mobile,please check costs with your mobile supplier.)

BJ.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 1:31pm

And they can have the marketing information on calls placed from/on normal geographic numbers anyway.

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 3:07pm

Well, best idea, is find the normal geographic number for the estate agent you want, and call that.

They will soon think that Right Move isn't referring any customers, cos they call on a different number.

Right Move receives less commission, and loss of business.

So, how about that freephone number!!

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #4 - Apr 22nd, 2013 at 12:34am

Rightmove is now using 'virtual' geographic numbers for estate agents that it lists.

It used to use 0845 numbers and then, I believe, 0843 numbers.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #5 - Apr 22nd, 2013 at 2:36am

Dave wrote on Apr 22nd, 2013 at 12:34am:
Rightmove is now using 'virtual' geographic numbers for estate agents that it lists.

It used to use 0845 numbers and then, I believe, 0843 numbers.

This must be counted amongst the many successes achieved by this site and all of its supporters.

The modest cost advantage gained by using 0843 numbers over virtual geographic numbers was clearly seen to be more than offset by the unwillingness of customers to call the former. When the requirement to declare the Service Charge is added, one must assume that use of 084 numbers will diminish considerably.

(In this case one may perhaps excuse the pandering to consumer misconceptions by initial use of the term "local rate", as the fuller explanation is accurate. The term "local rate" does not misrepresent the cost of calling the number, it simply implies a feature of residential telephone tariffs that no longer exists.)

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #6 - Apr 22nd, 2013 at 3:16am

Not always  ;) it also uses  0303 numbers depending on location see :

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/estate-agents/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E1079&radius=1.0

(That numbering range was supposed to have been used by the UK Wide Public Sector/Non Profit ).

and also the odd 0800 number.

Sorry for some reason i cant post a proper link !!!
« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2013 at 3:25am by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, Forum Admin, DaveM, bbb_uk, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge