Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FOI response - GMPTE (Read 8,297 times)
idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
FOI response - GMPTE
Aug 12th, 2005 at 6:42pm

This response has been mailed to me rather than by my preferred email format so it will take me a while to put it through the OCR etc. Cheapskates also used a 21p frank for a letter to the US (which they also did to acknowledge receipt of request) which was overstamped by the Royal Mail revenue protection squad. A summary of the response prior to publishing the full one next week:

1 - 0870 608 2 608 and 0870 241 2 216 - GMPTE states that "you can dial 0161 228 7811 to access GMPTE public transport information" - I haven't tested this yet and do not know whether this is an alternative number or whether it is the underlying number.

2 - Advantages of using 0870 (nothing new here).

3 - GMPTE receives no 0870 rebate.

4 - BT provides the scam numbers.

5 - GMPTE is unaware of difficulties regarding international access to scam numbers. It would like me to confirm which specific American networks do not route to rip-off numbers.

6 - COI is for national govt. GMPTE has not seen COI advice. GMPTE believes it offers good public service and adheres to the COI guidance. The DOT has no objection to the GMPTE using a rip-off number.

GMPTE adds that it believes all USA networks terminate calls to scam numbers. If I can give it details of those that do not work, it will go back to BT for an explanation.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Re: FOI response - GMPTE
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 1:09am

The full response. There may be some oddities in the text as I've had to scan and OCR this.

<<
Thank you for your letter dated 21 July 2005. The answers to your questions are addressed below:
1. 0870 608 2 608 and 0870 241 2 216 (the equivalent minicom service) are the only telephone numbers that GMPTE use that has a prefix of 0870 or 0845. You can dial 0161 228 7811 to access GMPTE public transport information. This is a local number that gives people access to Greater Manchester information at normal local, national or international call rates depending on where they call from.

2. The advantage of the 0870 number is that it enables one number to be used nationwide rather than have a number of local numbers. GMPTE is part of the national Traveline service that uses the 0870 number.

The national service was set up to meet national government policies to create a single source of local transport information on a national basis. The 0870 number also enables calls to be forwarded to another region to complete the local transport information element of long distance journeys.
The relevant policies are

•"Getting timetable and connection information is vital for many passengers. We are keen to see a national integrated journey timetable set up. The best way forward is to develop a framework, which builds on information already available and draws on new information schemes as they become available. Passengers would access information through one enquiry point, even though information would be drawn from different sources." (White Paper New Deal for Transport Ju1y1998 page 52 para 3.73)

•"Better arrangements at local level are essential to develop a national
public transport information system, building on voluntary collaboration between various parties. The aim is for passengers to have easy access to comprehensive information on all modes, including rail, bus, coach and metro, from a single telephone call. "(DETR Integrated Transport "From Workhorse to Thoroughbred" Mar 99 page 32).

•"Our aim is for a public transport system to be systematically extended across the country by 2000. The initial focus will be on timetable information, but the framework will be developed with the aim of introducing information on fares. "(Transport White Paper para 3.74)

continued...

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 1:12am

3. GMPTE receives no rebate for calls on the 0870 numbers below.

4. British Telecommunications plc is the network provider for 0870 608 2 608 and 0870 241 2 216 (minicom service).

5. GMPTE is unaware of the difficulties of overseas callers attempting to dial non-geographic numbers. We understand that most countries can dial the 0870 service network provided by BT. Our understanding is that calls can be made from the USA networks to the 0870 608 2 608 number managed by BT. However, if this is not the case, I would be grateful if you could advise which USA networks will not route calls to our BT 0870 number. Of course, all countries that can dial the UK are able to dial our 0161 228 7811 service.

6. We are a local government organisation. The "Central Office of Information" gives guidance to Central Government and public bodies. We have not seen this COI advice before and not discussed it within GMPTE. However, we believe that we serve the public well by giving them the choice of phoning either the national number (0870 608 2 608) or the local number (0161 228 7811); about 80% of our calls for public transport information are on the local number. Through having the two services, we believe we meet the COI guidance. The Department for Transport are aware of the use of the 0870 number and have raised no objections to it.

Our advice is that all USA networks can route caiis to our BT 0870 numbers. i would be most grateful if you could whether or not you can dial 0870 608 2 608 from your office/home and, if not, which USA network cannot route these calls. We will then approach BT for an explanation, as this would seem to be contrary to the advice we have received.

Should you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact me via email (foi@gmpte.gov.uk) or on the number below.

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 2:57pm

Our advice is that all USA networks can route caiis to our BT 0870 numbers. i would be most grateful if you could whether or not you can dial 0870 608 2 608 from your office/home and, if not, which USA network cannot route these calls. We will then approach BT for an explanation, as this would seem to be contrary to the advice we have received.

I think many telecoms operators around the world can terminate the calls, but charge a hefty premium, far more than what we pay in the UK.

I think that is just as relevent as pointing out telcos that won't connect 0870 calls.

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, Dave, CJT-80, bbb_uk, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge