Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Your Vote for Most Abusive 0870 Call Centre (Read 39,751 times)
NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Your Vote for Most Abusive 0870 Call Centre
Sep 1st, 2005 at 6:53pm

I have been asked by a journalist for a suggestion as to some of the most abusive large uk call centres at present for them to investigate further.

They have in mind I think in particular:-

a) call centres that virtually always have long call queuing times

b) a call centre that does not have any form of geographical alternative number known to mankind

c) call centre staff that always gets its staff to insist the call is at the BT uk geographic national rate even though the staff may well know perfectly well on a personal basis that this is not true.

d) perhaps a call centre that is outsourced to a third party operator for whom the whole focus is to make exploitative profits from running the call centre rather than to provide an adequate level of service to the company's customers

Does anyone have any suggestions?  So many qualify in different ways.  The BBC is top for lying about call cost but not for call queuing times.  Powergen is top for obscenely long customer queues but is actually on an 0800 number.  Can anyone name a call centre that has hugely long queuing times, has no geographic number, that is outsourced and where staff are forced to lie that calls are BT national rate when they know that they are not.

Your votes for worst 0870 or even 0871 call centre of the year are eagerly anticipated.  0844 and 0845 call centres are excluded from this poll for committing the cardinal sin of not charging their customers enough.
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2005 at 6:54pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Re: Your Vote for Most Abusive 0870 Call Centre
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 7:18pm

How about Britannia Music Club?  They operate an 0871 number and although I've never rung them since they moved to a NGN number I know that you used to be on hold for absolutely ages when they operated a normal geographical.

Can anyone who is with Britannia Music Club confirm that you still spend ages in queue?

That's one from top of my head that fits your criteria but companies/gov depts that may not match your entire criteria are CPW c/s dept, Passport/DVLA (not sure which one was longest?), and more.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 7:53pm

Thanks for Britannia Music Club suggestion although I think ideally they are after a more mainsteam player like AOL, CPW, BAA etc, etc.

Actually a name has just come to mind that may be perfect for what they have in mind, even though the number here is 070 and not 087.   That name is Patientline.  The staff there even maintain that calling from a BT Payphone or a mobile phone won't cost any more than BT's standard ripoff rates.

Any other suggestions gratefully received though.
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2005 at 9:13pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Freddie

Reply #3 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 8:25pm

It might be worth, at the same time, searching for the best.  Is there anyone whose call centre provides such a good service, that you don't mind paying over the odds for it?

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 9:15pm

Quote:
It might be worth, at the same time, searching for the best.  Is there anyone whose call centre provides such a good service, that you don't mind paying over the odds for it?

I have never found a single 084/7 customer service centre that ever justified the use of its premium rate number.

In my experience the very best customer service centres are almost invariably only have a phone number to call them that begins 01 or 02.

Are you sure you aren't perhaps secretly Operations Director in disguise with your comments that the service is so good that customers won't mind paying extra for it.
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2005 at 9:17pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Graham

Reply #5 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 9:17pm

The NatWest credit card customer services number.

Was left in a queue listening to music for 60 minutes after which I gave up. I actually called the geographic number listed in the database instead of the 0870 number - it did go through to the correct call centre - but it's possible this had something to do with the long waiting time.

I left a report on their web page asking if they would like to call me back but they never did.

Their TV advertising "there has to be another way" is clearly a waste of money if they can't answer calls.

IP Logged

juby

Gloucestershire
Reply #6 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 9:25pm

Freddie, there may be something in what you say, of course good service is worth paying for ---  but so many times we are not paying the provider of that service, and that is what this site is all about.

If you find a particarly good provider then please contact that provider and ask them who is creaming off that 3 pence a minute for the 0870 number.

I guarentee that you will be surprised by the answers that you get. - Or not.

juby
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2005 at 9:27pm by juby »  
IP Logged

Freddie

Reply #7 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 9:31pm

Quote:
Are you sure you aren't perhaps secretly Operations Director in disguise with your comments that the service is so good that customers won't mind paying extra for it.

Not at all.

It's just that I spent 20 minutes today (on an 0800 number to a call centre that was obviously on the Indian sub continent) getting nowhere because the question I was asking wasn't on the script.

I felt afterwards that perhaps my time and sanity is worth more than the phone bill, and that if I'd rung an 0845 or even an 0870 number, and got a sensible answer quickly then paying might have been worth it.

I do agree with you that  they are all utterly useless (personally speaking) - but hey why not hear of someone who does the job well?

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 9:32pm

Quote:
The NatWest credit card customer services number.

Was left in a queue listening to music for 60 minutes after which I gave up. I actually called the geographic number listed in the database instead of the 0870 number - it did go through to the correct call centre - but it's possible this had something to do with the long waiting time

I had the same experience as you with NatWest Credit Card Centre a couple of weeks ago and like you thought the geographic number on saynoto0870 had perhaps led to an electronic on hold blackhole.  So I reluctantly used the 0870 number via www.dialaround.co.uk at 5p per minute but hung up after 10 minutes on hold.

I called NatWest Serviceline (high level customer complaints) on 0800 505050 and they did some how get someone at the card centre to call me back.

This was all connected with the issuing of a new Mastercard due to a possible card number disclosure resulting from a PayPal spoof email scam.   When I called a few days later about setting up a new direct debit (they neglected to suggest this was necessary to me when I cancelled the previous card) I got through straight away.

NatWest card centre aren't normally that bad on call waiting times (although they do have a horrible new multi layer menu and card verification system) but NatWest's new owners (RBS) have now perpetrated the use of 0845 or 0870 numbers bankwide.  Exactly why NatWest Actionline is 0845 and Nat West Card Centre is 0870 is anyone's guess.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 9:41pm

Quote:
I felt afterwards that perhaps my time and sanity is worth more than the phone bill, and that if I'd rung an 0845 or even an 0870 number, and got a sensible answer quickly then paying might have been worth it.

Three customer services is in India but on an 0870 number.  Most call centres with geographic number alternatives are in the UK as are the few remaining ones that only have geographic phone numbers.  There is no correlation between paying extra and getting good service.  TopUpTv are on an 0871 number and have abysmal customer service.  They also have no geographic number alternative.

Not all Indian call centres are bad.  The DinersClub one has staff who have been selected especially for their ability to speak Western English and Onetel directory enquiries staff in India are in my experience as good as those who man uk BT directory enquiry call centres but are free of charge to Onetel customers.

IP Logged

hawksmoor

Reply #10 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 9:51pm

O2's call centres are fairly dire. I spoke to about five of them in succession last week about a very simple tariff change and got absolutely nowhere. A bolshie letter to the CEO hasn't yet produced a response either.

And as for Vodafone, words fail me!

John

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 10:02pm

Quote:
O2's call centres are fairly dire. I spoke to about five of them in succession last week about a very simple tariff change and got absolutely nowhere. A bolshie letter to the CEO hasn't yet produced a response either.

And as for Vodafone, words fail me!

Ah yes I forgot about O2 who I used to be a customer with.  They make their PAYG customers call them on an 0870 number, or at least they used to when I was with them.  But their staff were some of the most rude and unhelpful I have ever encountered, except of course on BT 150 - but at least that's free.

Vodafone staff are normally quite helpful but call queuing times have lately gone to hell and many of their commercial practices for Pay as You Go customers (no way at all to check what you have been charged for calls) are absolutely deplorable.  Their new "Stop the Clock" and "Passport" deals (available to PAYG as well as contract customers) do however finally show them beginning to respond to a combination of both price pressure from Three and to threats from the European Union to cut mobile phone roaming costs soon or else.

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #12 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 11:51pm

"or else" we will spend 2 years writing a european statement which says what everyone knows anyway, and which wont be legally binding (cos that costs an extra few years).
Oh wait no thats not the EU thats OfCon!!

Id also say the BBC, (banning(as in no staff can comment on anything), black-marking(as in that black pen that comes out on every FOI) and censorship(FOI again)).

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Sep 2nd, 2005 at 12:02am

Quote:
Id also say the BBC, (banning(as in no staff can comment on anything), black-marking(as in that black pen that comes out on every FOI) and censorship(FOI again))

The BBC Information Capita call centre in Belfast earn top marks for total stupidity and seemingly complete disinterest in the matter they take calls about (namely radio and television broadcasts).

Unfortunately there is almost never a queue and you get through to staff straight away.  This means they therefore lack one of the essential prerequisites of a really bad 0870 call centre operation.  Namely lengthy call queues.

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #14 - Sep 6th, 2005 at 9:30pm

Hi mc661,

May I point out that it is in fact "Ofcom" to whom I believe you are referring. (This is a contraction of the Office of/ or for Communications)?

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Dave, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge