Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
BBC Watchdog now using 020 number (Read 102,012 times)
NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: Pot calling the BBC Watchdog kettle ?
Reply #15 - Sep 25th, 2005 at 2:11pm

Quote:
But here is the surprise a very bold message giving the cost of the calls as between 3p and 8p per minutes was given.

This is the first time I have seen the BBC do this. Is this progress?

The new ASA guidelines mean they must show the maximum range of costs imposed for calling the BBC on a BT landline.  Unfortunately the cost of calling from say a BT Mobile is not covered by this requirement.  But it is nice to see them complying as it might have been argued that the promotion of this number was not an advert in the traditional sense.

Of course they still haven't got it right as the cost of calling 0870 on a BT landline varies between 1.5p and 7.91p per minute so that should be 2p to 8p per minute rounded up.  Still its nice to see them erring on the side of quoting too high a price.

http://www.asa.org.uk/cap/news_events/news/2005/Stop+the+call+confusion.htm

IP Logged

juby

Gloucestershire
Reply #16 - Sep 25th, 2005 at 9:27pm

Quote:
nah not that old, remember phONEday wasnt that long ago, while I was young I was brought up in a middle class life in the 90's and spent most of my life watching cable TV through videotron

It shows that the powers that be were not very clever in those days either, they spent millions of pounds on phONEday.

The idea was that they needed more numbers, can anybody remember how many numbers they gained by the process?

In the greater London area where everyones number changed, I believe it was between one and ten.

juby

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Sep 25th, 2005 at 9:43pm

Quote:
It shows that the powers that be were not very clever in those days either, they spent millions of pounds on phONEday.

The idea was that they needed more numbers, can anybody remember how many numbers they gained by the process?

The 0171 and 0181 7 digit London to 8 digit 0207 and 0208 prefixed numbers Phoneday change was all the way back on 22nd April 2000 and I believe that finally some time in 2006 we will see the very first 0203 numbers issued because they will finally be starting to run out of 0207 and 0208 number blocks to issue to telcos.

Now these 0203 numbers will be issued anywhere in Greater London finally helping to make people aware the only code for London is in fact 20 and there is no such thing as the 0207 and 0208 phone area.

One wonders why they needed to make the change 6 years before they actually required the extra numbers!!!  Surely the public's understanding would have been better reinforced if the passing of Phoneday had been immediately followed by the issuing of 0204 0205 numbers etc.

And to think that they split 01 into 0171 and 0181 some time in the early 90s to create more numbers only to then realise they had screwed up and needed the 020 code for a reunified London and 8 digits.   And who was behind this big screw up?  None other than OFTEL clearly setting the proud traditions that its successor Ofcom has so resolutely followed. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #18 - Sep 26th, 2005 at 5:01am

err NGN youve missed some bits out there.

In the begining there was 01. late 80's early 90's??
then it became 071 and 081 (obviously 7 for inner london and 8 for outer london). middle 90's?
Then phONEday came along, this was a national thing, Remember Bristol changing from 0272 to 0117 9, I think 4 other cities were changed as well? This made the 0171 and 0181.
Ofcom then reliased once again theyd cocked up and decided to change London (and somewhere in wales and Southampton) to 02. 020 7XXX for Inner and 020 8XXX for outer. oh and 023 for southampton just to confuse the issue.

I think theyve already started issueing 020 3XXX numbers, or at least some business have reserved the memorable ones. I think I remember seeing an 020 3 number on the back of some council rubbish.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Sep 26th, 2005 at 9:27am

My mistake as it seems Ofcom issued the first 020 3 block on 1st June 2005 so one of the telcos receiving one has possibly issued one to a customer by now.  So only a 5 year gap then.

I see Phoneday was 1995 when they got rid of 01 and made 0171 and 0181 and then just when we had got used to those they went back to a single 8 digit 020 in 2000.

I believe some of the provinces were also involved in these changes.  Reading 0118 is the change with which I am most familiar.

You seem to have been very quiet lately.  Has work been keeping you busy or something?
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2005 at 5:42pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #20 - Sep 26th, 2005 at 5:32pm

Quote:
You seem to have been very quiet lately.  Has work been keeping you busy or something?

yep, in brighton atm.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Sep 26th, 2005 at 5:42pm

Quote:
yep, in brighton atm.

What does this ATM stand for?

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #22 - Sep 26th, 2005 at 7:43pm

at the moment?

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Sep 26th, 2005 at 10:53pm

Quote:
at the moment?

This only goes to show that I am not a very big text message sender.

My only previous decode for ATM was from my time living in the USA in the early 80s when it stood for Automated Teller Machine (that's a Cashpoint to us English folk).

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #24 - Sep 26th, 2005 at 11:05pm

And there was I thinking of Asynchronous Transfer Mode as a longstop.   Smiley

Just what is this texting that you mention?   Wink

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #25 - Sep 27th, 2005 at 12:49am

atm =
at the moment
automatic teller machine (not just a cashpoint you know!)

IP Logged

Smasher

UK
Reply #26 - Sep 27th, 2005 at 10:27pm

Quote:
atm =
at the moment
automatic teller machine (not just a cashpoint you know!)

The difference being? ???

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #27 - Sep 27th, 2005 at 10:34pm

I think that the early Cashpoints (a Lloyds name), only gave cash against a punched card that the machine kept - at least that was how my NatWest one worked.
Whereas an ATM lets one do all sorts of other things, including expose your PIN to shouldersurfers and hidden cameras.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #28 - Sep 29th, 2005 at 7:12pm

Just seen the BBC advert for Freeview. You can get a free guide by calling 0870....

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Sep 29th, 2005 at 7:29pm

Quote:
Just seen the BBC advert for Freeview. You can get a free guide by calling 0870....

What price per minute did or didn't they quote for calling?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, bbb_uk, DaveM, CJT-80, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge