Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Some views from the "other" side (Read 27,005 times)
Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Re: Some views from the "other" side
Reply #15 - Sep 28th, 2005 at 9:01pm

When you mention the "RIP OFF" prices, these call rates are around the 8ppm rate.
In the grand scheme of things where a Starbucks coffee may cost upwards of £2.50 ( & then some) I don't see this figure as breaking the bank.

And some of those "adult entertainment" lines cost £1 per minute, which is of course more than your telephone service.

I personally don't drink Starbucks coffee, perhaps because they don't venture down as far as Cornwall!!

But we do have a choice between whether to drink Starbucks coffee, or drink in a cheaper location.  We also have a choice on whether to contact adult lines.

I have to make a call to a company later this week, to complain that they didn't refund the correct amount of money that they promised to.  Their contact number is an 0870 number.  Thankfully this site does list an alternative, which I shall be trying, but I can't exactly decide "I'm not making the call" or "I'll phone another company"  Also, had the company got things right in the first place, I would not need to phone any number at all!!

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #16 - Sep 28th, 2005 at 10:36pm

Quote:
Other benefits to customers include Disaster recovery. Were one of our centre's lose the ability to take calls... ( Such as the whole of London with the bombings), the 08 platform allows us to redirect the calls at the flick of a switch.. again giving the customer a better seemless experience regardless of what is happening in localised area's.

But I could do this years ago on normal BT geog numbers. Why not now?

IP Logged

mikeinnc

Ofcom - quis custodiet
ipsos custodes?

Perth Western Australia
Reply #17 - Sep 28th, 2005 at 11:11pm

Quote:
Rubbish! Here in the United States, with possibly the world's most sophisticated telecommunications system and advanced customer service techniques, there is no equivalent to 0870 nor will there ever be. Of course there is a well-developed toll-free system to compare with NTS, and intelligent routing, together with stats and all the other so-called advantages of 0870, can and are provided on toll-free and geographic area codes. Any costs are factored into the whole cost of providing the service and the customer is not expected to make "micro(mega)-payments" to OCPs/TCPs. Customer service here is generally excellent and does not need 087X to provide, as you state, a "better/more consistent service". Learn from those that know how to provide *service* without exploiting the customer.

I entirely agree with idb. Why is it that the UK telephone system is SO special and unique that revenue sharing numbers "have to be used" to provide the advanced features that are provided elsewhere in the world within the normal geographic system? What is so unique about BT's network that it alone amongst the "civilised" world cannot achieve all these services without resorting to a huge scam?

Quote:
0870 is used because, in the UK, the regulator is weak, and the public apathetic about such issues probably due to being bamboozled by the clandestine and deceitful way 0870 scammers operate.

...and here I think is the answer to my hypothetical questions above. The answer is - because BT can and gets away with it! Right from the start, using a prefix that many people would automatically assume was a toll free call (08xx) shows the cynical and manipulative approach to the whole scam. Add a rip-off culture that seems totally pervasive in the UK today; an ineffective and corrupt regulator and a largely apathetic population...well, hey let's go for it!!    Undecided

As NGM wrote in another post today - read this and weep! What a pathetic set of excuses Telecoms_Ted puts up in defence! Angry

IP Logged

Telecoms_Ted

Reply #18 - Sep 29th, 2005 at 8:54am

Quote:
I work with the telecoms industry within the UK.
We manage near to 80 helpline numbers.
We operate all of these a with either 0870 or 0800 numbers, depending upon our agreements with our clients.

I feel as if I am getting flamed a touch here!!!

As initially mentioned, our services we offer are for our clients & are set up in agreement with them & their users. (Helplines with a service at the end of them)  We utilse the 08x platform to give us advanced features due to the constraints put upon us with Geo numbers... this was really my main point!

Don't misunderstand me.... I agree with it being wrong to call an 0870 number to complain or as a main contact number. ( We ruled this out for our firm within minutes of it being suggested.) I feel that the carriers are getting away with these cash cows and will be very slow to change.
Clearer numbering plans should have been set up on the "big number" days, with better use made of some codes.

I'm not sure how you educate Joe Public of what we have at the moment, as it seems hard enough to let people know the proper code for London is 020  not 0207  Smiley

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #19 - Sep 29th, 2005 at 11:01am

Quote:
I feel as if I am getting flamed a touch here!!!

I'm not sure how you educate Joe Public of what we have at the moment, as it seems hard enough to let people know the proper code for London is 020  not 0207  Smiley

As one of those guilty of the flaming let me apologise, but as you probably appreciate some of us get angry about the whole affair. I first joined the the forum after the London Bombings as I was so angry that an 0870 number was used for the helpline.

In answer to you question about how do you educate Joe Public, I think it is too late. Joe Public doesn't take that much interest and with the exception of the 0800 number is now completely indoctrinated in the 0845/0870 myth of local and national numbers, so no matter what you do re education it will only touch the surface.

Unfortunately the only solution would be to get rid of them and start again. I have no idea if this is practical. It sounds horrendous.

I would suggest with 09 numbers.

There are obviously legitimate uses of the 09 numbers for raising revenue (eg competitions, paying for support, etc) and it could be used for low tariffs where you need to just cover the cost of supply the facility like a pressure group.

The area where it may be a problem is if organisations want to use 09 as their contact number as it may put people off if they associate 09 with very high cost of calls (ie if they think 09 is always at a premium cost). However if the cost is highlighted (as it would have to be) then that should be ok. Anyway at the end of the day that is the organisations business decision. Clearly they will lose contacts and therefore business by supplying an 09 mumber so generally this would a stupid decision as Joe Public would now be properly informed. However there may be circumstances where it would be good business sense for doing so e.g. discouraging calls that are not going to lead to business the cost of which hit the bottomline.

They will have to weigh up the lost business against the reduced costs.

The important thing is Joe Public is making an informed decision as to whether or not make the call.

Under no circumstances should organisations that are there to serve the public use these numbers eg Government organisations. In the worst cases they hit the vunlerable.

In a nut shell the only solution that I can see working now is to remove all 08xx numbers except 0800 as these numbers are discredited (and will remain so for a loong time)

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Sep 29th, 2005 at 9:24pm

Quote:
The revenue made on 0870 is generally less than 1 pence per minute.   So it is hardly a great revenue maker for these firms...

If you only earn 1p per minute off your 0870s you are obviously an inept and incompetent call centre operator not acting in the best interests of your shareholders and your callc centre clients as well as not in the best interests of your customers.  3p per minute is routinely offered on 0870 and 4p is possible for higher call volumes.

The only company that only offers 1p per minute on 0870 to the call centre operator is BT and the only people stupid enough to use BT for 0870 termination are lazy and ignorant telecoms managers who fail to do their job properly by shopping around the marketplace.  For christs sake its bad enough to let your customers be ripped off at call charges of £4.50 per hour compared to 3p per hour (see www.1899.com) but to let all the financial benefit of this scam go mainly to BT is just criminal laziness by your company.

The argument you outline is totally out of date as you can now have geographic voip numbers and these voip numbers can be redirected anywhere you like and be issued on any uk exchange (see www.sipgate.co.uk).  Also your argument about disaster recover or permanent relocation is totally bankrupt and nonsensical as for a small fee your telecoms provider will put an announcement on a geographic number giving all the customers the new number to call.  The customer then just changes the number in their own records.  I know perfectly well that this facility is still offered by the telecoms network because i frequently encounter such messages on old geographic numbers for call centres instructing me to call their new 0870 number. Shocked

For you to say it is only a few p per minute extra is to indicate a complete lack of brain power and critical faculty.

For instance 20 minutes of calls to 0870 a day costs £1.50  And in a 90 day billing quarter that is 65 working days so £97.50 of 0870 calls.  Then factor in making say 10 minutes of calls a day to 0845 peak rate and we add another £21 giving us £117.50 of 0845 and 0870 calls in a quarter for 30 minutes of calls a day to NTS numbers (hardly a lot I'm sure you will agree).  Yet if these calls had been geographic 01/02 and the customer had been buying an all 01/02 calls plans with www.tele2.co.uk at £7.50 per month then they would have all been covered by this along with the customer's regular calls to relatives and so on.  So £117.50 a quarter extra gives us £470 per annum for calls that work no better for the customer than ones starting 01 or 02.

So tell me now if you still just see it as only a few pence extra per minute?  For £470 a year I could pay my car insurance or all my gas and electricity bills!
« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2005 at 9:36pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Telecoms_Ted

Reply #21 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 8:36am

If you were to look beyond the pence per minute rate, you would see that there are other factors behind decisions to opt for BT/COLT/AT&T etc.
Multiple billing centres, cost of multiple accounts, cost of ownership, multiple points of contacts plus no continuity would be a nightmare to manage.
Sure if I was a one man band then I could afford to look at cheap & chearful solutions & change them on a monthly basis with no loyalty to anyone.
Running large networks requires long term relationships to be built with QOS maintained as a number 1 objective.

Many historic large corporate networks  have large DDI ranges scattered across geo numbers which inturn fit within a closed numbered network.  This will not change overnight.

The total cost of running a network & the visibilty of the total picture doesn't allow for cherry picking in the market place.

OK - this is an old tried & tested approach - but it works.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 9:00am

Quote:
If you were to look beyond the pence per minute rate, you would see that there are other factors behind decisions to opt for BT/COLT/AT&T etc.
Multiple billing centres, cost of multiple accounts, cost of ownership, multiple points of contacts plus no continuity would be a nightmare to manage.
Sure if I was a one man band then I could afford to look at cheap & chearful solutions & change them on a monthly basis with no loyalty to anyone.
Running large networks requires long term relationships to be built with QOS maintained as a number 1 objective.

But these are your business operational issues and not ours as customers Ted.  So why should we the customer pay extra for you receiving a more sophisticated telecoms service on your old telecoms equipment using NGNs?

Answer there is no justification and we the telecoms customer should be charged the same for calling an 084/7 NGN as any 01/02 number but you the call centres should pay an appropriate additional per call or per annum fee to reflect your additional operating convenience.  This is what happens on 0800 numbers but sadly not on 084/7 numbers.

And why isn't there a class of NGN, charged to customers at geographic calling rates, where you don't pay the customer's normal geographic phone call routing cost (as you obviously do on 0800) but you do pay a service fee to the telecoms operators for the value you receive as a call centre in the additional NGN facilities?  And as you control the relationship with your telecoms suppliers the cost of providing these additional services to you by BT et all would now be driven down to their true level, rather than also involving a revenue share rake off that has nothing to do with the additional call routing and logging facilities of NGNs.

These extra facilities you so crave could have been offered by BT et al on GNs.  The only reason they did not is because they combined the offering of NGNs with a whole extra money making scam to their benefit and to the great detriment of retail telephone customers.  But the useless uk telecoms regulators (OFTEL and now Ofcom) failed to spot this or do anything about it for years and years and years.  Yet they are supposed to be there to protect uk citizens and consumers!
« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2005 at 9:01am by N/A »  

IP Logged

wacs

Reply #23 - Sep 13th, 2006 at 10:44pm

Telecoms_Ted wrote on Sep 28th, 2005 at 11:39am:
Were these helplines to change office locations from a London office (020) to a Nottingham office (01159), the amount of work generated & the cost/upset of changing documents, web sites & TV ads with the new number would be huge..

Absolutely right.  My view is, advertise the 0870 number you want, but make the geographical number available on request and available on your website.  It won't cost you a penny.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, DaveM, CJT-80, Forum Admin, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge