Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 26
Send Topic Print
OFCOM - FUTURE OF 0870 NUMBERS - CONSULTATION (Read 366,439 times)
AJR

Re: OFCOM - FUTURE OF 0870 NUMBERS - CONSULTATION
Reply #30 - Oct 2nd, 2005 at 2:53pm

There have been over 1,000 views of this thread up until today. If just half of those people sent an opinion to Ofcom it might have some impact. But they won't as things stand. Why? Because it's too much hassle.

That's where this site comes in. The organisers and contributors have the expertise to make it easy for casual passersby to submit an opinion to Ofcom, without the need to go to all the trouble of reading the consultation documents. People looking at this site already know the issues - they don't need to read hundreds of pages of formal documents to have it explained to them.

So could I suggest that some kind and knowledgeable person sets up a new thread entitled "This is how you send your views on 0870 numbers to Ofcom" (or something along those lines).

The top message would provide two things:

(1) the email address to which a submission can be sent (It has to be email or nine out of ten won't bother)

(2) two (or at most three) of the main points to be made in a submission to Ofcom.

The message should be a maximum of 200 words, if that. Make it as easy as possible for the people who can contribute five minutes but no more.

Finally, remind people to be brief, clear and polite. Abusive, confused messages won't strengthen the case.

IP Logged

firestop

Do unto others, before
they get a chance to
do....

Reply #31 - Oct 2nd, 2005 at 3:19pm

I think that's a good idea, AJR.
Need to get a lot of responses in, and that is probably the only way to do it.

IP Logged

GrahamH

Reply #32 - Oct 3rd, 2005 at 10:22pm

Quote:
Just done my visit to riverside house (ofcom london) and got my copy of the 300 ish pages (both consultations).

Needless to say they were not very pleased and looked quite pi**ed off at having to print the whole 300 pages for me. heh heh amazing what being an elected member can do for you!!

Are we non-elected non-members able to go and  p*ss them off too? I'd enjoy that! For whom does one ask?

Do I get to meet Kip Meek? (especially if he's not asleep or, better still, is feeling abnormally combative...!)

What's the point of 0845? Local rate my ar$e. Usually MORE than Inverness to Penzance on normal nos. Occasionally the same, never less!&&&&OFCOM - A Truly Great Regulator, if you're out to gouge consumers

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Oct 4th, 2005 at 11:33am

Quote:
Do I get to meet Kip Meek? (especially if he's not asleep or, better still, is feeling abnormally combative...!)

These Ofcom characters do seem to live up to their given names.

Mr Peacock is as one might expect from his name prepared to endlessly respond to emails to put on a fine show that at least gives the impression that Ofcom is doing a splendid job.  But Mr Meek by contrast has never once responded to one of my many emails even though he has received.  And that's even though as Policy Director he must be the man responsible for many of the issues with which we seem to have a problem.

I suggest you email the contacts given in the two current consultations to ask if they are planning to hold any NTS Consumer Focus Groups that you might be able to attend? Undecided

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #34 - Oct 6th, 2005 at 7:56pm

Quote:
What concerns me is that alot of Ofcom's idea of competition is that companies will simply move to another number range. That means changing number!

And with 10,000 numbers on each block, thus thousands of services on each block, how do they fight it out to set the 'price point' for that block?

Ofcom's other solution is to force the service providers to compete by providing different 'pricing points' on 0845/0870 numbers. What a load of rubbish! If they wanted to have different rates they would have chosen 0844/0871 numbers.

The fact is that the document acknowledges that businesses aren't really aware of what their customers are paying to call! Despite this, Ofcom seems insistant on giving them a 'choice' about what the caller pays!

Of course, the consumer doesn't really understand the current setup either, and that coupled with the fact that revenues are that small, it's really not worth companies spending too long 'thinking' about what type of number to use.

Businesses think it's a 'local rate' or 'national rate'. Therefore, I put it to Ofcom that it takes a hint and gives the service providers what they want; that is geographically priced calls on 0845/0870.
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2005 at 2:59pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Oct 6th, 2005 at 9:43pm

Quote:
Businesses think it's a 'local rate' or 'national rate'. Therefore, I put it to Ofcom that it takes a hint and gives the service providers what they want; that is geographically priced calls on 0845/0870.

Ofcom seem incapable of taking a hint or indeed even several sledgehammers being applied to their collective thick skull that the current system is crooked and corrupt.

Their excuse seems to be that light touch means putting the interests of the telcos first and as the telcos don't want the 084/7 scamming to end then it won't

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #36 - Oct 6th, 2005 at 10:28pm

Quote:
There have been over 1,000 views of this thread up until today. If just half of those people sent an opinion to Ofcom it might have some impact. But they won't as things stand. Why? Because it's too much hassle.

That's where this site comes in. The organisers and contributors have the expertise to make it easy for casual passersby to submit an opinion to Ofcom, without the need to go to all the trouble of reading the consultation documents. People looking at this site already know the issues - they don't need to read hundreds of pages of formal documents to have it explained to them.

So could I suggest that some kind and knowledgeable person sets up a new thread entitled "This is how you send your views on 0870 numbers to Ofcom" (or something along those lines).

(1) the email address to which a submission can be sent (It has to be email or nine out of ten won't bother)

(2) two (or at most three) of the main points to be made in a submission to Ofcom.

The message should be a maximum of 200 words, if that. Make it as easy as possible for the people who can contribute five minutes but no more.

Finally, remind people to be brief, clear and polite. Abusive, confused messages won't strengthen the case.

Might work, but if they get hundreds of the same virtually word for word submissions then they wont take notice of them.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Oct 6th, 2005 at 10:57pm

Quote:
Might work, but if they get hundreds of the same virtually word for word submissions then they wont take notice of them.

I think its a fair bet Ofcom won't take any notice however many submissions they get because this if Ofcom we are talking about.  That is one of the most ineffective regulators in the UK that only seems to see the importance of the interests of big business and not the interests of ordinary uk telecoms consumers.  That is to say that Ofcom in fact does exactly the opposite of what it says on the tin.

But if we want to get a load of submissions sent in I would suggest a form popping up in front of every person who comes to this website to look up a phone number.  This would tell them about the consultation and the fact that the government is going to allow the 0870 abuse to carry on in a slightly amended form and is going to do nothing about 0845 numbers in the medium term.

I would encourage them to say whatever they think about this (not tell them what they should be thinking) and then press the button to email it to Ofcom.  There are thousands of people a week here looking up numbers and surely most of them must hate the 084/7 scam and be prepared to write a few words opposing its retention by Ofcom.

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #38 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 7:49am

ive just about read thru 25% of the document, Its quite handy for getting to sleep at night, allthough I made the mistake of taking the whole doc to bed the first night, woke up with paper everywhere!

I will send in my submission shortly, I agree OfCon wont do anything.
ofcon.org.uk is Available to buy btw.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 8:08am

Quote:
ive just about read thru 25% of the document, Its quite handy for getting to sleep at night.

I have yet to find the strength to start on this tome but I know I have to as I cannot send out any statements condemning Ofcom for a total failure to stop the scamming unless I have checked to make sure what is tucked away on Page 104 of its turgid tome.

The fact that they issued a press relief that gave the impression to the media that they were going to stop the 0870 scamming almost straight away simply beggars belief.

I just had an interesting thought about checking who the repondents from the general public to the last consultation were and then checking them off against another list of people. Wink

IP Logged

gdh82

How YOU can COMPLAIN/INFLUENCE the FUTURE of 0870
Reply #40 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 10:55am

Dear All,

I wholeheartedly support the comments made by AJR below:

Quote:

But equally I disagree with mc661's response:

Quote:

Now I know I don't have the expertise or knowledge or experience of many of you, and I know its so easy to be cynical and defeatist, but what choise is there?  Either we try something or we don't, and if we don't wish to try to use this ofcom consultation as an opportunity, then why don't we just close down this whole site!!!

Surely, these consultations are the kind of opportunity that  this site is all about - surely it is the whole point of SAYNOTO0870 to  to try to use this consultation to assist and mobilise the widespread dissatisfaction with the misleading, expensive and just plain rip-off nature of the 0870/0845 etc.

I also disagree that the point that having a standard email complaint is telling people what to think.  Regular users of this site already know the issues but it takes time and effort to put this into sentences and write it all down - having  a set of keypoints (which people can of course add to) makes it easier to get things started.  People could be free to choose which parts of the standard submission they wish to use.

Taking MakeHistoryPoverty as a case in point,  I don't believe standardised complainst will be ignored by Ofcom, especially if the volume of them is high enough.  Such a campaign needs to make it crystal clear the problems of NGNs and also make suggestions for change.  Again, this is where the expertise of you guys come in.  If complaints begin to arrive in their 100s or even 1000s, Ofcom and others will have to start taking notice.

So starting a new thread "How YOU can AFFECT the future of 0870" or something sounds a great idea.  In addition, perhaps this could be linked up with Money Savings Expert where I'm sure there's many who believe in consumer power etc.  Perhaps too, reference could be made to this on sites like PleadgeBank.Com to try to further support.  Finally the viral email ideas that have been mentioned previously could also be employed.

If the deadline is this coming December, there isn't much time so we need to get going.  I for one am keen to complain and encourage others I know to do the same, and I'm sure I'm not alone...

Cheers
Garry

PS Its frustrating just talking about things but not actually doing anything so come on - what are we waiting for?

There's more of us that them, stick together and challenge 0870/0845 etc etc

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #41 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 11:05am

Garry,

I think a pop up box telling people how to respond to the consultation when people come to the site to get a geographic number would get a lot of responses sent. Especially if there was a form and a Send button to just send off your complaint to the Ofcom email address.

If it just listed bullet points and perhaps referred to a thread in the Discussion Forum for those more interested that would probably work.

But of course don't forget that a lot of us gave very strong views on what to do with 084/7 earlier in the year and Ofcom has conveniently ignored most of those views and still incredibly describes these numbers as being associated with new added value telecoms services that did not previously exist!

But we must not give up heart and hope that if Ofcom gets 10,000 submissions from the public they will realise they must take immediate drastic action to immediately stop the scamming.
« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2005 at 11:06am by N/A »  

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #42 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 11:45am

Thanks NGNMan for your reply.

The newbie in me has to admit I wasn't  fully aware of the earlier submissions to Ofcom, apart from references to it in this thread.

Nevertheless, definately sounds a good idea, having a pop-up window, a thread containing bullet points and links for further information, and a button to send it.

This would take the user probably a matter of minutes to make their point and submit it to Ofcom.  And if only a third of those who have viewed this thread were to do this, that would be 500 complaints to start with, and add to that a proportion of passing visitors seeking alternative numbers...who knows what numbers could be achieved.

Looking forward to seeing this take shape.......

There's more of us that them, stick together and challenge 0870/0845 etc etc

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #43 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 12:31pm

Quote:
The newbie in me has to admit I wasn't  fully aware of the earlier submissions to Ofcom, apart from references to it in this thread....

See "Responses to Consultation" at this link which also shows the full previous Ofcom consultation document:-

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/ntsoptions/

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #44 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 1:34pm

Quote:
See "Responses to Consultation" at this link...

See also Say no to 0870! Hot Topics for some links to threads discussing this consultation.
« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2005 at 1:35pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 26
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Forum Admin, DaveM, bbb_uk, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge