<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
New Bt charges (Read 43,751 times)
Freddie

New Bt charges
Oct 9th, 2005 at 8:57pm

I see that BT have altered their charging structure - the price per minute after the first hour is now 3p for Option 1 customers, but more importantly, the charges for 0845/0870 are now on their own page very well hidden away here
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2005 at 8:45pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: New Bt charges
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2005 at 8:50pm

Freddie wrote on Oct 9th, 2005 at 8:57pm:
I see that BT have altered their charging structure - the price per minute after the first hour is now 3p for Option 1 customers....

Very sneaky. Where did you find that out?
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2006 at 2:30pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2005 at 9:05pm

Who uses these 0870 09 and 0870 18 numbers that are cheaper in the daytime (5p per minute) but more expensive at the weekend (2p per minute).

I thought the whole point of 0870 and 0845 was for there to be only one set of prices per telecoms provider?

The poster seems to have misread the BT leaflet as the 3p per minute after the first hour on BT Options 1, 2 & 3 is for weekday daytime calls and its still 1p per minute after the first hour off peak.

See Page 5 of this September 2005 BT residential call prices leaflet:-

http://www.downloads.bt.com/pricing/UKInternationalprices.pdf

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2005 at 9:10pm

Quote:
The poster seems to have misread the BT leaflet as the 3p per minute after the first hour on BT Options 1, 2 & 3 is for weekday daytime calls and its still 1p per minute after the first hour off peak.

NGM, the BT Price List shows that the OP is correct. See Table 1a on this page.
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2006 at 2:31pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Freddie

Reply #4 - Oct 10th, 2005 at 9:24pm

To answer Dave's question, here
however,
here, they still say 1p after the first hour!
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2005 at 9:31pm by Freddie »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 10th, 2005 at 9:28pm

Quote:
NGM, the BT Price List shows that the OP is correct. See Table 1a on this page.

I feel sure that is an error in the document you quote as the document link I gave is also the current September 2005 document at www.bt.com/pricing

BT could not get a price change like this through without putting it in their Update leaflet some time in advance of it happening and I have just received one of their Update leaflets in hard copy form and online and it contains no mention of such a price change.

But if you like why not email the head of BT's Pricing Information service - john.strutt@bt.com - to confirm the situation.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 10th, 2005 at 9:29pm

OK I'm sending John Strutt an email to query this.

IP Logged

Freddie

Reply #7 - Oct 10th, 2005 at 9:35pm

Intriguing isn't it? 'your' leaflet also has no mention of the different levels of 0870 charges

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #8 - Oct 10th, 2005 at 9:47pm

The OP does seem to be correct.  See this page and scroll down to the small print at bottom of the page.

It reads:-
Quote:
Currently, Evening and Weekend UK calls for BT Together Options 1, 2 and 3 are charged at the rate of 1p for every minute beyond the first hour, as are Evening and Weekend local calls for BT Together Local customers. However, from 1st October 2005, the price per minute beyond the first hour will
increase
to
3p
per minute for these calls
I know I never received notification of any price increases (that I remember) but I thought it may have been to those that actually still use BT for calls (we don't) but on another forum, a member posted that they also hadn't received notice of this increase and they are on Option 2 (the 3month offer).
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2005 at 9:48pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Oct 10th, 2005 at 10:15pm

If you pay BT line rental on BT Options 1, 2 or 3 you are a customer who they must notify price changes to even if you mainly route your calls via CPS or indirect access codes with another provider or mainly use Voip.

I have sent the following email to Mr John Strutt at BT who is responsible for such matters:-

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 10 October 2005 22:10
To: john.strutt@bt.com
Cc: ben.verwaayen@bt.com; hanif.lalani@bt.com; ian.livingston@bt.com; david.stewart@ofcom.org.uk; steve.unger@ofcom.org.uk; gareth.daves@ofcom.org.uk; claudio.pollack@ofcom.org.uk; polly.weitzman@ofcom.org.uk; sean.williams@ofcom.org.uk; tim.suter@ofcom.org.uk; kip.meek@ofcom.org.uk
Subject: Why does BT Together Website & BT Official Price List Now Show 3p per minute charge on Options 1, 2 and 3 after the first hour?

Dear Mr Strutt,

As BT's General Manager of Retail Pricing Policy & Design I write to draw your attention to what looks like an alarming error in the BT Together section of BT's pricing website and the BT official price list that now shows offpeak and weekend calls on BT Options 1, 2 and 3 costing 3p per minute after the first hour, even though this contradicts the current official BT residential customer pricing booklet dated September 2005 for your residential phone line customers that states they cost 1p per minute after the first hour.

I am sure the 3p per minute after the first hour price must be wrong as I know you would surely have to give considerable advance notice of such a price change in your Update booklet for residential customers and elsewhere.

The discrepancies occur as follows:-

This page says that calls now cost 3p per minute on BT Options 1, 2 and 3 after the first hour

but

this page on P5 says calls cost 1p per minute after the first hour which also coincides with pricing that BT has notified previously in its Update leaflets and elsewhere

However this page suggests again that calls cost 3p per minute after the first hour offpeak on BT Options 1, 2 and 3

This is also currently being discussed in the following web forum:- http://www.saynoto0870.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?board=news;action=display;num=...

Can you please account for these very alarming inconsistencies in the pricing information displayed on your website which hardly do much for BT's already tarnished reputation for not displaying all its call prices (especially for say 09 premium rate numbers and international mobile call prices) in a consistent and comprehensible form.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2005 at 11:16pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

joe65

Reply #10 - Oct 10th, 2005 at 10:40pm

Well it would indeed appear to be True.  It IS 3p/min Off Peak after the 1st hour.

Couldn't understand why my recent BT bill showed 18 pence for going over 1 hour on a weekend call by just 5 minutes.

Well after stumbling across this web site  it makes sense:-
6p + 5Mins @  3 p = 21p (=18p ex. VAT),  and it was on 1st. October (a Saturday).

As I regularly lapse into the above 1 hour duration,  even more extreme vigilance is now called for.

I see an opportunity for phones that cut off automatically after an hour 'though. Perhaps BT would help me flog them.

What a pigs ear telephone pricing has become, and each new twist, exploiting the unwary, just compounds it.

« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2005 at 10:48pm by joe65 »  

There are those who count,&&An' those who cann't,&&An' those who count  on the both of 'em.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Oct 10th, 2005 at 10:50pm

The little - have hidden it in the small print at the bottom of this page.

http://www.bt.com/update/

Notice how they put it in headlines when the cut such a price and then try to tuck it away where no one will notice it when they increase it only a few months later.  BT really do seem to think anyone who goes on using their service is a lazy idiot who they can mug.  Clearly they think anyone who hasn't switched to TalkTalk or Onetel or Tele2 by now isn't going to so they might as well fleece them good and proper.

It won't affect me as my calls with www.1899.com cost 3p for up to 2 hours at any time.

P.S. Notice the below further additional ripoff tucked away in Update designed to further ramp up BT's already bloated profits without most customers working out what is going on.  This all comes under the heading of what Ofcom calls "Light Touch" but I call a "Soft Touch" Roll Eyes

"From the 1st October 2005, the calculation for determining the call charges for selected call types will be changed from rounding up to one tenth of a penny, to rounding up to half a penny"

They don't even say what these "selected call types are" Shocked

The thing is I still don't remember my printed Update booklet containing this stuff but stupidly I have already thrown it away.
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2005 at 10:55pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #12 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 10:15am

Quote:
...The thing is I still don't remember my printed Update booklet containing this stuff...
We still have the October BTupdate and it is listed in it on page 10 under "Further Price Changes."  The question remains was it in the BTupdate prior to this because the increase took place at the beginning of October so BT should have informed us in the last BTupdate booklet.  We, unfortunately, will have thrown that out.

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #13 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 10:28am

Quote:
The thing is I still don't remember my printed Update booklet containing this stuff but stupidly I have already thrown it away.

Just looked at Update for October. Its on page 10, Further Price Changes. This covers the rounding issue and increase in rate for calls over 1 hour.

It does seem to be inconsistent with the terms and conditions printed on the other side of this notice (pages 11 &12) which still talks about 1p (I have only scanned the T&C however)

Two questions to ponder:

a) Why is there this 60 min limit anyway? Is there a good reason or is it a scam to get revenue off people who think they have already paid for free calls and are then getting charged. You would have to be quite sad to time a telephone call, hang up after 59 min and then call again to avoid this happening!

b) FYI I have Option 3 and got caught by a call to Jersey which previously was just like calling any UK number. I got charged for it. It was very confusing initially as it shows as a National charge on the bill. A charge which should be impossible under Option 3. I queried it and the person I called at BT was just as mystified. I then got a call back saying it was a call to Jersey which are not covered. I looked in the T&C and they were right. Sneeky I thought!

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #14 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 10:35am

Quote:
We still have the October BTupdate and it is listed in it on page 10 under "Further Price Changes."  The question remains was it in the BTupdate prior to this because the increase took place at the beginning of October so BT should have informed us in the last BTupdate booklet.  We, unfortunately, will have thrown that out.

Sadly I still do have it. It is not included on the 'Keeping you informed' page.

However interestingly there is another increase on this page:

"Current the cost of calls total is rounded down to the nearest penny, but as ofr 22/7/05 this will be rounded up to the nearest whole penny"

Peanuts I know, but indicative.

I've never read these 'Keeping you informed' pages before which are put next to the T&C. Think I will in future.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, Dave, DaveM, bbb_uk, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge