Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hull University (Read 8,810 times)
Dendiput

Herne Bay
Hull University
Oct 13th, 2005 at 11:01am

My daughter has gone to Hull Uni, so I asked for FOI info about their 0870 numbers after looking at this site.  The reply was just about the same as the replies listed already, but they said that the reason for not giving geographical numbers was to avoid fraud.  Apparently they had been receiving reverse charge calls.

I have some difficulty in believing that this could not be overcome quite easily by barring such activity.

They also said that they did it to raise revenue, but they only get about 1p per min in comission, and the rest goes to the provider.

They declined my request for a direct number.

Extract of their reply:

Ref: Request for Information under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (Advising sending information - copyright not waived)

Thank you for your email requesting information relating to the use of 0870 prefixed telephone numbers for student accommodation.
Please find enclosed documentation and responses relating to your questions

Why do you use 0870 numbers?

- please see extract of supplier contract
What is the equivalent geographical number?

- This information is withheld under Section 36 Freedom of Information Act due to the potential fraud associated with reverse charge calling.

What revenue do you receive per minute and in total from the use of 0870 numbers?

- please find documents enclosed relating to commission payments Apr 04 to May 05.

Are you aware of the revenue collected by your telecom provider, from your callers?

- The University of Hull does not hold any documentation relating to this question.

Have you considered the revised COI guidelines? If so what conclusions did you come to?

- The University of Hull does not hold any documentation relating to this question.

Are you aware of the cost implications to your callers, when using 0870 numbers?

- please see extract of supplier contract.

Together with the outline above, this is the response that I had.

« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2005 at 8:50am by Dendiput »  

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Re: Hull University
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 1:13pm

It would be handy to paste the full response from them, so we can work out a way of responding to it for the internal review.

There is a way to tell BT/NTL/etc  to refuse reverse charge calls.
at Least they admitted they make the money out of it, but I find it hard that its only 1p a min.
The other way round is to ask for the number to call from abroad as you cannot (well its very hard to) dial 0870's from outside the UK.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 3:12pm

Quote:
They also said that they did it to raise revenue, but they only get about 1p per min in comission, and the rest goes to the provider.

Does not raise revenue for who?

I suggest you make a request on this forum (in the Requests section), see what the members can come up with.

It may also be worth asking the university who provides the accommodation telephone system. This will give us some clues as to what the alternatives might be.

IP Logged

Smasher

UK
Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2005 at 12:01pm

Dendiput,

Is there any chance you could paste the FOI request here or PM me with it?

I'm considering a request to Swansea University but would like to know how exactly to phrase it. 

I've never done a FOI request before Embarrassed

IP Logged

Dendiput

Herne Bay
Reply #4 - Oct 22nd, 2005 at 9:55am

The latest letter:

Freedom of Information Request
The University of Hull
Cottingham Road
Hull
HU6 7RX

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for your recent reply.

Please could you provide disclosure in relation to the following points, which I do not feel were covered in your response:

You stated that you use 0870 numbers to avoid potential fraud associated with reverse charge calling.  I have made enquiries with B.T. who advise me that reverse charging can be barred from any phone.  How does this information change the policy of the University?

You did not advise me of the equivalent geographical number.  Under the F.O.I. Act, you can only withhold information under specific circumstances.  I have reviewed these and can find no grounds for your apparent unwillingness to do so.  On this basis, I make the request again for you to disclose the geographical numbers associated with your 0870 allocated numbers.

You stated in your reply that the 0870 numbers are not premium rated and are charged at the standard BT national rate.  This is not so.  The charge for calling your 0870 numbers is 7.51p per minute, and standard BT national rate is 3p per minute. A number of users will pay nothing to call geographical numbers as part of their telephone package.  In light of this new information, I again ask in addition to my original request for disclosure, how does this information change the policy of the University?

Your statement that you have no knowledge of the COI guidelines is a little concerning, as the Ofcom consultation deadline is in December this year.  I have provided a link for your information, and again ask in addition to my original request for disclosure, how does this information change the policy of the University?

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/nts_forward/nts_pes/

I append my original request below for your reference.

Yours Faithfully,

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Dave, CJT-80, Forum Admin, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge