Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HELP! I'm overloaded with email notifications! (Read 8,669 times)
gdh82

HELP! I'm overloaded with email notifications!
Oct 14th, 2005 at 10:47am

I'm sure this is my own fault by ticking the box so to notified of replies to a thread but I must have done this more than once for the same thread! 

As a result it seems I'm now getting 2 or 3 emails per post!  Shocked     Perhaps each time I've ticked the notification box, its added my email address to a list ?

Please could you change it so that I only get one email per post for "Ofcom - Future of 0870 Consultation" and "Standard Complaint Letter" threads ?  Not only is this filling up my inbox, its SO disappointing to find there hasn't been as many posts as the emails suggest!

Thanks again
Garry

PS One other minor moan - when logging into the forum, I'm always returned to the forum home page.  Could the site remember the thread I was just reading and return me to there after entering id/password?

There's more of us that them, stick together and challenge 0870/0845 etc etc

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Re: HELP! I'm overloaded with email notifications!
Reply #1 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 11:23am

Quote:
Please could you change it so that I only get one email per post for "Ofcom - Future of 0870 Consultation" and "Standard Complaint Letter" threads?
The forum will generally only send one email per response to the thread in which you have "subscribed" to and not more than one per response.

Assuming you are logged-in then click on Notification at the top of the page.  You will then get a list of threads in which you have subscribed to.  Ticking whichever one you want to unsubsribe to and then clicking on
Update Notifications
will remove your subscription to that thread.

You can subscribe or unsubscribe to a particular thread by viewing the thread in question and then clicking on 'Notify of Replies' at the top of that thread.

Quote:
One other minor moan - when logging into the forum, I'm always returned to the forum home page.  Could the site remember the thread I was just reading and return me to there after entering id/password?
Unfortunately the way the forum software has been programmed by the designers, it is not possible to return to the thread you were just viewing.  I believe the site owner is looking into upgrading the forum software and this may be fixed in the new version.  As with any upgrade it has to be tested and also make sure it's possible to import all the existing threads into the new/upgraded forum software without any problems like corruption of a thread, etc.

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 12:58pm

"The forum will generally only send one email per response to the thread in which you have "subscribed" to and not more than one per response. "

I get one for each response, this morning turned on computer and I think there was 5 re the earthquake appeal thread and it does ususall happen,

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 9:58pm

Thanks for the responses, guys.  Its certainly taught me more about this site, that's for sure.  Maybe it was me but it seemed as if I was getting more than one email per post?   ??? Still, I'll keep an eye on it, and raise it once more if it seems to be happening again.

Quote:
Unfortunately the way the forum software has been programmed by the designers, it is not possible to return to the thread you were just viewing.  I believe the site owner is looking into upgrading the forum software and this may be fixed in the new version.  As with any upgrade it has to be tested and also make sure it's possible to import all the existing threads into the new/upgraded forum software without any problems like corruption of a thread, etc.

Regarding the software upgrade, it would also be better if you could select an option "Always keep me logged in".  Such an option would mean each time I return to the site, it automatically logs me in without me having to enter id/password every time.  I know other sites that do this and it is very convenient and time/hassle saving.

IP Logged

Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 7:01pm

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Yes, at the moment you will receive an email notification each time a thread you have 'subscribed' to is replied to.  Therefore, if there are 5 replies, you would receive 5 separate e-mails.

With regards to the 'Login' situation.  As long as your IP address doesn't change, you should remain logged in to the forum.  There are issues if your ISP is AOL, and you use their browser (as they use a variety of different proxy servers, so the IP address provided to the forum constantly changes - therefore logging you out). - For those affected by this, they should use an alternative web browser - eg. Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer.

Thanks
Daniel

Check Out the main website at http://www.saynoto0870.com
IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #5 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 7:17pm

Thanks again, Daniel - yeah I  was taken aback as I'd subscribed to some very busy threads but I understand the email notifications now.

Regarding "Keep me Logged In", I use Firefox but I am with AOL which seems to be the problem.  I gather that the new version of the forum software overcomes this ?

Cheers
Garry

IP Logged

Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #6 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 7:24pm

Quote:
Thanks again, Daniel - yeah I  was taken aback as I'd subscribed to some very busy threads but I understand the email notifications now.

Regarding "Keep me Logged In", I use Firefox but I am with AOL which seems to be the problem.  I gather that the new version of the forum software overcomes this ?

Cheers
Garry

Hi Garry,

If you are using Firefox, then it is probably because your IP address is changing when you reconnect to the internet (if you are using AOL's modem, rather than a router).

I will need to double check whether the new version checks for changes in IP address or not.

Thanks
Daniel

Check Out the main website at http://www.saynoto0870.com
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, CJT-80, bbb_uk, Dave, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge