Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dubious ads on your site (Read 16,351 times)
Motopaki

Dubious ads on your site
Oct 16th, 2005 at 10:55pm

I'm a new member, and still trying to get the hang of your site/forum.

Why do you have stuff like this:

1) Every page I look at offers a Free Nokia 6630 with £1.99 rental as header. Click through and it doesn't exist.

2) Complete con at:

www.cellular-unlocking.co.uk

I would say the majority of their customers use an ostensibly excellent service and get done by the small print that restricts the offer to Nokia phones. If they're Nokia-only then they ought to say so. Obviously they don't as they earn a high income on a premium line from people trying to use their 'service'.

Complaints to their support don't get anywhere.

OK I know about Google Ads. but this just leaves a bad taste and does your site no favours.

« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2005 at 11:04pm by Motopaki »  

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Re: Dubious ads on your site
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2005 at 9:59am

You will have noticed there is an article about google adverts as one of the main topics on this page, and why this site uses them.

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

Motopaki

Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2005 at 10:07am

Well, it's like a vegetarian site flogging reindeer burgers; eccentric to say the least.

I haven't the time to get involved with Google's auto-response system, but if you carry their ads you should at least filter out the con artists.

Is that Free Nokia 6630 which appears throughout the forum and your website, as a header, a Google ad? There's no Free Nokia 6630 if one clicks through the ad. Why have it at all?
« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2005 at 12:00pm by Motopaki »  

IP Logged

DaveM
Global Moderator

Du vin, du pain,   du
Ibuprofen ¡

Peterborough
Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2005 at 8:03pm

No, it isn't a Google Ad - it's an offer that's linked to this site set up by Daniel, the site Administrator.

I'm not sure where you're clicking but when I did it, I was passed through to an interim page then clicking the phone took me to the E2Save website without any problems !  Could it be your browser at fault ? Try clicking on the E2Save link I've given and see what you get.   Roll Eyes

As for the Google Ads, we are unable to filter these ads as they are linked to the page content, ie. Phone numbers, 0845, 0870, etc. !  Undecided

IP Logged

Motopaki

Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2005 at 8:12pm

Thanks for that. It's now working. Up until midnight last night, having clicked through the first page, there was a message saying this offer was no longer available.

I guess I'll just have to calm down about the Google rubbish (which on other sites I have occasionally found useful) - I really do object to the one which needs researching on an an expensive premium line to realise that it's Nokia-only (see above).

IP Logged

ami

Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2006 at 2:06pm

You could fairly easily "hide" the relevant keywords from the adwords system, by putting HTML comments in the middle of the keywords in the HTML source, for example:

<!-- comment goes here -->

This would make the adwords system choose different ads instead of the ones which are causing offence, while the content of the page would otherwise look identical as seen in people's browsers.

This simple measure would stop a lot of visitors getting the wrong idea about this site.

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #6 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 2:26pm

I noticed a long time ago that Daniel uses an 07050 fax number as the contact on his website, which is 37.5p per minute in the daytime.

If you think the choice of ads on this site is distasteful, the ones on djbnet.co.uk are quite amusing. Immediately below Daniel's price of £12.50 a year for registering a uk domain name are two adverts offering the same thing for £2.95 and £5 respectively. It gives me the feeling he hasn't quite got the hang of Google ads.

IP Logged

saynotohipocrites

Hypocrisy???
Reply #7 - Jun 3rd, 2006 at 5:54pm

aaaah, doesn't anyone else find it wrong that this website accepts advertising from a telecommunications company ie: carphone warehouse.

very surprised that all the people on this site are so vehemently opposed to these numbers but don't seem to have a problem with that.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, bbb_uk, Dave, Forum Admin, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge