Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 19
Send Topic Print
Responses to Ofcom consultation hit 1,159 (Read 219,844 times)
mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Re: Read the public's 157 comments to Ofcom here..
Reply #30 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 7:14am

ive been waiting 2 weeks for my response to appear!

Im getting to the point of sending another response, but this time a personal response and not one as an elected member... mind you my response was a bit directed at the overpaid head of ofcon.

IP Logged

Locked-out

Reply #31 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 11:58am

mc661, I have the same problem. I submitted my response over 2 weeks ago and it has not appeared in their list.

I therefore sent another yesterday stating this and that I was sending it again in case it had got lost.

I might be too cynical, but I wonder whether this could be a technique Ofcom use to keep down the number of users they have to declare as responding to their consultations - just conveniently lose some of them? I think you could have a point, in that if this is so they probably choose those like yours which are particularly castigating?

IP Logged

AJR

Reply #32 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 1:14pm

There are 27 new submissions on the Ofcom website at lunchtime today (Nov 4), making a total of 184. The new ones are listed below.

Actually, Ofcom could easily identify the new ones by colouring them in, say, green to override the existing pre-set red style.

Agnew G
Fantini G
Fegen R
Fewtrell B
Hall A
Harris D
Hayes J
Hobbs P
King M
Kirton M
Levy D
Lovett A Cllr
Millar-Craig E
Moore P
Name Withheld 4
Norman P
Norris I
Olins F
Owen B
Parnell J
Philp C
Pollard V
Read J
Rhodes A W
Swarbrick A
Ticehurst R
Turner C E

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Re: Read the public's 184 comments to Ofcom here..
Reply #33 - Nov 5th, 2005 at 4:53am

Cllr Anthony Lovett

ah goody nice to see at least some councillors have finally responded, or have had there responses published.

oh by the way ive noticed ofcon have divided the pages into A-F, G-L, M-R, S-Z now.. So all the previous direct links no longer work
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2005 at 4:55am by mc661 »  

IP Logged

beginner

Reply #34 - Nov 5th, 2005 at 7:15am

Thanks for that mcc661,

I had been saying this since yesterday morning, in the thread "Where are the Responses?".
But I got the impression only myself was having trouble!!

IP Logged

beginner

Reply #35 - Nov 5th, 2005 at 9:03am

If, as in the case of some site members, there is a delay of two weeks before their submission appears in the Ofcom listing, then in the final two weeks of the 'consultation time' Ofcom can safely ignore submissions, as no one will ever know if they were 'registered' or not.

We need to encourage people to submit very early, so that they will see if there response has been credited.  Subtracting 14 days from the 'no. of days remaining' on this site clock might hurry contributors along??
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2005 at 9:04am by beginner »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #36 - Nov 5th, 2005 at 12:45pm

I don't think it makes much difference if they are two weeks behind or not.  All it means that in two weeks after the consultation has ended then every response should be up there.  Even if you have asked for your name&address withheld, you would be able to remember what you wrote so two weeks after it closes if it still doesn't show then you know they are withholding some responses back.

I haven't done mine yet.  Neither of the consultations to be honest but I'm holding mine off until just before the deadline in case I think of a few things to add. If I have already submitted them I'll be too late.

IP Logged

beginner

Reply #37 - Nov 5th, 2005 at 12:53pm

My thinking was that if you had not seen your own response, in that two weeks,  then it would be beyond the date and you couldn't even re-send it, as the consultation would then be closed.

Anyway mine are both in (but not showing yet...????).

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #38 - Nov 5th, 2005 at 12:58pm

Quote:
My thinking was that if you had not seen your own response, in that two weeks,  then it would be beyond the date and you couldn't even re-send it, as the consultation would then be closed.
In defence of Ofcom, it does accept late submissions and seems to be flexible to some degree in this respect. I actually believe it does want to receive public views about this topic.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Nov 5th, 2005 at 6:03pm

Quote:
In defence of Ofcom, it does accept late submissions and seems to be flexible to some degree in this respect. I actually believe it does want to receive public views about this topic.

idb,

I wouldn't go as far as saying they want responses to the consultations as otherwise they would be sending out press releases to the national newspapers asking them to print articles about the consultation and the main bullet points in it and also the email address to respond to.  The indigestible 250 page and 50 page consultations and the failure to list all their currently running consultations on their home page says to me they are not very keen on responses.  And that they prefer only to have responses from the regular "stakeholders" that they like to work with, who are mainly in the telecoms industry.

However I do not believe that they will not publish the responses they do get in the end, even though it may take a couple of weeks because their IT section is busy with many other things.  Also one can actually send one's email asking for a read receipt and if one doesn't get a read receipt within a day or two of sending it one can can call up Clive Hillier or Geoff Brighton to ask them what has happened.

So they will publish all the responses they get on their web site in the end but to claim they actually welcome or encourage getting responses from the public is I think to go too far!  In fact if their Consultation department was a business and paid by the number of responses they received for any of their consultations I think they would long ago have gone bust due to lack of sales of their consultation response services.  Unfortunately the Fat Cats like Mr Stephen Carter continue to draw their large salaries no matter how poor a job Ofcom does.

And before i get an email in high dudgeon from the Ofcom Communications Director complaining about calling Mr Carter a Fat Cat and saying that this is not courteous talk I must say I really do think being paid 60% more than the prime minister as a civil servant who is not taking any business risks does make the said postholder very Fat Cat indeed.  Whereas I as a local governmental community representative at £3.5k per annum am a very Thin Cat indeed!

Lastly I wondered why none of you had commented on the fact that the shorter of the two Ofcom NTS consultations (only 50 pages instead of 200) does not have a Consultations link.  Does this mean no one has bothered to respond to this consultation or is Ofcom only publishing responses to both consultations in one place.  See http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/nts_info/ which has no responses section.

Also some of you asked why no body or company other than Norfolk Trading Standards had responded so far?  The answer to this is simple in that no company like NTL or BT responds until the last couple of hours on the last day because they do not want their commercial competitors to be able to see what their submission is when they are writing their own submissions to Ofcom.  So many such bodies will make submissions but you won't see them till the consultation has closed.  Or I think they can ask Ofcom to hold off on publication till the consultation is closed.

Lastly though many of you should be sending emails to the Consumers Association/Which asking them why they did not respond to the last consultation on such an important matter for consumers and demanding that they do respond to the consultation this time.  Send an email to Which Campaigns Director Nick Stace - nick.stace@which.co.uk and to their Chief Executive - peter.vicarysmith@which.co.uk demanding that they respond to the consultation and highlighting what you believe to be the main issues.
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2005 at 8:59pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #40 - Nov 5th, 2005 at 8:41pm

Quote:
Lastly though many of you should be sending emails to the Consumers Association/Which asking them why they did not respond to the last consultation on such an important matter for consumers and demanding that they do respond to the consultation this time.  Send an email to Which Campaigns Director Nick Stace - nick.stace@which.co.uk and to their Chief Executive - peter.vicary-smith@which.co.uk demanding that they respond to the consultation and highlighting what you believe to be the main issues.

Good idea! Thanks for providing the email addresses too - I've given Which? my electronic kick up the backside!!!

On this subject, I wondered what others thought about contacting more local authority Trading Standards/Consumer Protection Offices (mine being Birmingham) so to encourage them to participate in the consultation?  Just a thought?
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2005 at 1:34pm by gdh82 »  

There's more of us that them, stick together and challenge 0870/0845 etc etc

IP Logged

AJR

Reply #41 - Nov 7th, 2005 at 4:23pm

There's one new submission on the Ofcom website at 4pm today (Nov 7), making a total of 185.

The new commments are from Giles D.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Re: Read the public's 185 comments to Ofcom here..
Reply #42 - Nov 7th, 2005 at 7:11pm

How many submissions did ofcom receive to the old NTS consultation?

Unfortunately this was before I joined this forum and I was therefore unaware of any consultation otherwise ofcom would have gotten an earful from me as well.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #43 - Nov 7th, 2005 at 7:18pm

Quote:
How many submissions did ofcom receive to the old NTS consultation?

Unfortunately this was before I joined this forum and I was therefore unaware of any consultation otherwise ofcom would have gotten an earful from me as well.

You can find the last consultation and the responses here:-

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/ntsoptions/#content

About 80 responses in total last time and about 30 from companies like BT and NTL plus various Associations and Consumer Groups.

So we are way past that already with over a month to go.  Could easily hit the 1,000 mark this time.
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2005 at 7:19pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #44 - Nov 7th, 2005 at 7:20pm

There were around eighty or so published responses to "Options for the future" at http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/ntsoptions/Responses/ and around twenty published responses to "NTS termination" at http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/ntsctmr/resntcctr/

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 19
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Dave, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge