Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
BBC now calling 0870 "standard rates" (Read 28,952 times)
derrick
Supreme Member

Re: BBC now calling 0870 "standard rates"
Reply #15 - Oct 27th, 2005 at 1:45pm

Quote:
You always need a
;
(semi colon) between each email address entry in the To, CC or BCC fields in any email with multiple recipients.

You mean you have never cc'ed more than one person before ??? Shocked

Thats right I haven't, but hey,we all have to learn Grin  so that's a ( ; ) if cc,ing more than 1 recipient?

AlthoughI am pretty certain that I have sent mail to more than 1 addressee in the address bar and have never used       ;  or is that different?

I have just tried multiple addresses in the "to" bar and when using them previously I have got them from my address book, and it puts the  ;  in automatically  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2005 at 1:50pm by derrick »  

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #16 - Oct 30th, 2005 at 10:39pm

Quote:
You always need a
;
(semi colon) between each email address entry in the To, CC or BCC fields in any email with multiple recipients.

Actually, according to RFC2822 (the official specification for internet e-mail) multiple addresses should be separated by a comma. As usual, Microsoft have just decided they can't stick to a perfectly good specification. Apparently, in Outlook 2003, it's not possible to use a comma as a separator without turning on some obscure option that's hidden away somewhere, causing problems for anyone who tries to paste in a list of addresses.

However, when it actually sends a message, I think Outlook does change the separator to commas for the mail header, otherwise it probably wouldn't get to all the recipients! When you receive a message, it turns all the commas back to semi-colons to display tham (e.g. if you quote a message in a reply). How silly!

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #17 - Nov 10th, 2005 at 11:29am

Just received the following email:

Dear Mr ******

Further to my previous email, I can now tell you that we are discussing with the BBC the description of 0870 numbers and their associated costs.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Ritu Manhas

:: Ritu Manhas
   Programme Executive
   Content and Standards
   +44 (0) 20 7981 3853
   ritu.manhas@ofcom.org.uk

:: Ofcom
   Riverside House
   2a Southwark Bridge Road
   London SE1 9HA 
   www.ofcom.org.uk

Things MIGHT be looking up!

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #18 - Nov 10th, 2005 at 4:56pm

Just received the following from the BBC:-

Dear Mr ******

Thank you for your e-mail concerning the BBC?s use of 0870 numbers.  I would like to apologise for the delay in replying.  We know our correspondents appreciate a quick response, and it is a matter of regret to us that you have had to wait on this occasion.

I was sorry to learn you feel the BBC is misleading its audience by using these telephone numbers for phone-ins, competitions and other purposes.  I understand you consider it wrong to describe these as ?standard rate numbers?.

If I may explain, the BBC gave considerable thought to the appropriate use of national rate numbers and decided that callers to the BBC should pay the same costs regardless of where they were calling from, and those costs, typically should be no more than the price of a stamp.  Calls to such numbers work better in terms of routing, meaning the caller is transferred to their chosen option quicker.

The rebate available for using 0870 numbers is waived by the BBC in return for better telephone services such as the best automation technology, meaning the caller is on the phone for the shortest amount of time.

The important operational and technical advantages in 0870 numbers compared with geographic numbers such as 0207, 0141 include the fact that 0870 calls (and the other 'intelligent numbers' as they are called) can be routed to different places, such as our different call centres, at different times.  Unexpected peaks in demand can also be coped with through 'call gapping', prioritising the different types of call and by pre-recorded messages.

In addition, the BBC partners such as Capita, and their sub-contractors, deliver services according to contractual agreements.  0870 and other special numbers enable sophisticated statistical reporting to assist both us and our contractors to manage the performance and effectiveness of the call centre.  These advantages would be lost with geographic numbers.

I can furthermore assure you the BBC has strict guidelines which govern the use of premium rate lines.  They are only used where necessary, for example to register mass audience reaction quickly and robustly, such as in voting.  Charity calls such as for ?Children in Need? are the only exception to this.

Nevertheless I appreciate you take a different view.  I will therefore ensure your comments on this matter are registered for the benefit of BBC management and for circulation throughout the BBC.  Feedback such as this enables us to monitor audience reaction and develop future policy and programming.

Thank you for taking the time to contact the BBC.

Regards

Alison Duncan
BBC Information

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #19 - Nov 10th, 2005 at 5:39pm

Quote:
Just received the following from the BBC:-

..... the BBC gave considerable thought to the appropriate use of national rate numbers and decided that callers to the BBC should pay the same costs regardless of where they were calling from .......
That old chestnut!  Do none of them ever check their own telephone bills?

In case they're reading:

It costs 3p/minute to call ANY 01 or 02 number from a BT residential line - distance MAKES NO DIFFERENCE.

It costs 2½ times as much (7.51p/minute) to call an 0870 number from the same BT landline.
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2005 at 10:00am by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #20 - Nov 11th, 2005 at 11:23am

Quote:
That old chestnut!  Do none of them ever check their own telephone bills?

In case they're reading:

It costs 3p/minute to call ANY 01 or 02 number from a BT residential line - distance MAKES NO DIFFERENCE.

It costs 2½ times as much (7.51p/minute) to call an 0870 number from the same BT landline.

I have already emailed back with that statement and a few more choice comments, also made the point that it is a 150% premium on an 01/02 number, I think it makes a better impact.

IP Logged

omy

I came - I saw - I went
home.

Reply #21 - Nov 11th, 2005 at 12:02pm

Dear Old Beeb,  they still prove my old schoolteacher's adage "You CAN fool most of the people ALL of the time - as long as you ACT innocent when questioned about it".
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2005 at 12:03pm by omy »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Nov 11th, 2005 at 6:54pm

The BBC are quite unbelievable serial liars over 0870.

No matter that the COI say that it is inappropriate for  government centres to use 0870 and no matter that the ASA say that the term national rate must not be used BBC Disinformation in far flung Belfast remains unwilling to accept this and keeps quoting from a propaganda sheet drafted 3 or more years ago.

Goebels himself would have been proud of BBC Disinformation which is a propaganda machine of the very worst kind that employs lobotomised and robotic call centre agents who keep on churning out the same old lies to thousands of complainers on 0870, while those complaints are persisently ignored by the BBC's cynical and abusive New Labour management, who only hear those comments from the public that they actually want to hear.

The BBC is the only public sector organisation apart from the Inland Revenue that I have encountered that is deliberately and cynically abusive about 0870 and where all comments and complaints by the public are just rebutted with an out of date lie that the cynical and manipulative organisation cannot even be bothered to update to a more convincing one.

To get anywhere on this issue you need to say you are dissatisfied with the BBC's response and ask to have the matters looked at by thinking and sentient life-forms (which the propaganda boiler stokers at BBC Disinformation most certainly are not) in the organisation and specifically the Governors Complaints Commmitte which Mr Bruce Vander, who works at senior level in BBC Disinformtion in London, confirms can be asked to review BBC Disinformation propaganda line on this issue.

Quote:
From http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/complaints_process.shtml#what

What can I do if I don't like the reply?Please reply initially to the person who responded to you and outline your concern.

If your complaint is about a specific programme, and you believe it breached the BBC's editorial standards, you can ask the independent Editorial Complaints Unit (ECU) to investigate. The unit examines such complaints independently. We will help you contact the ECU but its address is BBC, Media Centre, Media Village, 201 Wood Lane, London W12 7TQ.

If you dispute the ECU’s ruling you may appeal to the Governors’ Programme Complaints Committee.

Ask to confirm with BBC DisInformation that you have reached deadlock in your complaint with them over 0870 costs and that either the Editorial Complaints Unit or the Governors Complaints Committee is the appropriate place to make the complaint.  In my case they seemed to recommend the Governors Complaints Committee since the 0870 policy comes from board level and is not the fault of individual programme makers, most of whom do not want to have to use these numbers.  You might particularly like to ask the Governors why the late night Radio 5 program uses an 0500 Freephone number and other phone ins don't and why Watchdog uses a geographic number and other programs don't.
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2005 at 7:11pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #23 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 11:37pm

Yes I agree

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

Martin_S

Reply #24 - Nov 14th, 2005 at 11:29pm

You could also hammer home that Radio 2 gives out 0500 288 288 and that the BBC1 TV prog, watchdog has now finally ditched its 0870 number for a 0208 one.

I wonder who made that decision (glad about it) and if it can be done here then why not throughout the whole of the BBC.

The way they announce the 0870 numbers are even more misleading, for example Radio 1 says 08700 1 10 100. 'o-eight seven hundred' does not sound as bad as 0870

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Nov 15th, 2005 at 12:10am

The Governors Complaints Committee is the only way to get the 0870 issue out of the cynical Capita manipulated hands of BBC Information and to instead have the matter reviewed by other intelligent and free thinking life forms within the Beeb.

I suggest anyone given the brush off on 0870 by BBC Information insists on instead having their complaint reviewed in this quarter.

NGM

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

UK
Reply #26 - Nov 15th, 2005 at 2:16pm

NGM, how exactly can anyone do that, since probably not everyone is aware of that?

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Nov 15th, 2005 at 2:52pm

dorf wrote on Nov 15th, 2005 at 2:16pm:
NGM, how exactly can anyone do that, since probably not everyone is aware of that?

Dorf,

Naturally my anyone only included anyone who had complained to BBC Information who also belonged to this forum and was reading this post.

NGM

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

UK
Reply #28 - Nov 15th, 2005 at 10:17pm

NGM,

We have crossed lines. I meant if anyone as you suggest "insists on instead having their complaint reviewed in this quarter." .... how can they do that. In other words how does anyone get their complaint reviewed by the Governors' Complaints Committee?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, DaveM, Forum Admin, Dave, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge