Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
ANSWERPHONES (Read 45,742 times)
cavaliersteve

Ladock, Cornwall
ANSWERPHONES
Oct 25th, 2005 at 5:37pm

SORRY BEING NEW TO THIS SITE & NOT BEING ABLE TO FIND AN APPROPRIATE FORUM I HAVE POSTED THIS HERE!

I am posting this to ask if anything can be done about answerphones, or, if anyone knows of a website I can visit!

In my opinion (& a lot of my friends) there are times when one doesn't want to leave a message, but the outcome is that it cost about 5p not to leave a message.

i
.e. One phones up, an answerphone comes on to tell one, that basically the person being phoned has call waiting, but if they do not answer one gets another message to stating, leave a message or phone later.

This has now cost one approximately 5p for nothing (unless one wants to leave a message), how millions of 5p's are BT getting for this?

In my opinion, in this day and age the message should be along the lines of,

The person you are calling cannot answer the phone right now, you have 2 choices,

press 1 to leave a message for this you will be charged, or, press 2 to cancel the call, you will not be charged for this.

This is another "service" that I (& a lot of my friends) feel, should be looked into, or indeed have something done about it.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: ANSWERPHONES
Reply #1 - Oct 25th, 2005 at 6:22pm

Quote:
In my opinion (& a lot of my friends) there are times when one doesn't want to leave a message, but the outcome is that it cost about 5p not to leave a message.

And that is the reason why services such as BT's 1571 and Orange Answerphone are 'free'; because the telcos have connected calls which otherwise wouldn't have connected and therefore would have used their network but not earned them anything.

Quote:
In my opinion, in this day and age the message should be along the lines of,

The person you are calling cannot answer the phone right now, you have 2 choices,

press 1 to leave a message for this you will be charged, or, press 2 to cancel the call, you will not be charged for this.

I quite agree, but it's not in the telcos' interests. It's a case of this free market and competition which we are all told is so wonderful and makes companies provide us with what we want falls down!

These companies are busy spending their money on marketing these 'services', making people believe that they're giving them something!

Quote:
This is another "service" that I (& a lot of my friends) feel, should be looked into, or indeed have something done about it.

If you and your friends believe this, then why not opt to turn off mobile/landline voicemail.

What frustrates me is where I leave a message and the person tells me they don't bother getting messages are can't afford to (in the case of mobiles, ie not having enough credit.)

What's more, some of these mobile companies charge you to dial into your mailbox on their network!!! So they receive revenue from the caller who left the message and from you when you pick up the message and when you call the person back!

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2005 at 7:25pm

Quote:

i.e. One phones up, an answerphone comes on to tell one, that basically the person being phoned has call waiting, but if they do not answer one gets another message to stating, leave a message or phone later.

This has now cost one approximately 5p for nothing (unless one wants to leave a message), how millions of 5p's are BT getting for this?

Best available (from a landline) is to make the call via 1899 or 18866.  Either would reduce the cost to 3p or a fraction more.

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

cavaliersteve

Ladock, Cornwall
Reply #3 - Oct 26th, 2005 at 12:31pm

The 1571 & Orange answerphone may be free but not to the person calling.

The other thing that is annoying is when one dials a number, and one hears the first beep of the engaged tone, and before the second or third beep starts, a message stating that the line is engaged comes on, to try and get one to use dial back or whatever it is, maybe because the person one is calling doesn't have an answerphone.
At present one doesn't get charged for this, but one wonders how long it will take for this to happen.

What is the point of having an engaged tone in the 1st place?

We all know what it was for originally, to let one know that the person we are calling are using their phone.

Thank you Dave & Heinz for answering to this posting!

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #4 - Oct 26th, 2005 at 12:52pm

Engaged tone is free, so too are those messages you get from the mobile networks telling you that the person is unavailable (ie, where it doesn't go to answerphone).

This is presumably an industry wide rule where the call is not classed as connected (whereas an answering service is connected).

It appears that O2 have managed to get round this by providing a new 'service' called O2 Call Alert. This tells the caller that the receiver will be sent a text message giving them the number you called from. All well and good, you might think. But the call is now connected, and the caller charged (in most cases a minimum charge of 5p or so).

See this thread on MSE.

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #5 - Oct 26th, 2005 at 3:41pm

Vodafone are actually quite good at allowing the caller to terminate the call if they do not wish to leave a message.

If you call a vodafone mobile, and if it rings, then goes to voicemail, then just before voicemail, you can notice the divert taking place because it makes 2 higher pitch ringing tone prior to voicemail kicking in.

And of course if the phone is switched off, the ringing is the higher pitched ringing, which is different to normal ringing.  Of course you only have about 1-2 secs to hang up, but I have called vodafones quite a few times from my other mobiles inclusive minutes, and the call counter doesn't start until the voicemail is answered, and if I hang up before, then the call is not logged.

All other mobile companies switch straight to voicemail without warning, but at least vodafone gives you a couple of seconds to hang up.

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #6 - Oct 26th, 2005 at 11:25pm

I had some automated BT woman call me up "promiting" 1571 with mobile connect.

Apparently (if im stupid and dont notice the hidden charges), I can have all my 1571 calls diverted to my mobile, or have the left message played to me on my mobile.
Yeah WOOOPIE.

Then the small print comes. "all diverted calls will be charged at the BT rate for diverted calls to mobiles, you will be charged to listen to 1571 messages from your mobile, you will be charged.......... (at that point i slammed the phone down)".

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #7 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 10:01pm

I count the rings when calling a landline, and hang up before the 7th ring (which is where the answering service kicks in with BT). If I think the person might need longer to answer, I hit redial... hopefully they won't have just picked up the phone and dialled 1471 to see who it was.

What I really hate is when the line is engaged and the call goes straight to the answering service.

I refuse to have any voicemail service on my landline or mobile so as not to inflict it on others. I urge everyone to do the same.

I can't see the point of voicemail. If I wanted to leave a message, I'd have used e-mail, which is free! If I call someone, it's because I actually want a two-way conversation!

IP Logged

lavillegour

We'll All Be Dead in 100
Years !

Reply #8 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 11:28pm

I also had an 'automated B.T. woman' place a message on my phone after it wasn't answered at 7.30 a.m. After discovering that the message was left by a mobile number (0798 ******) I rang B.T. and finally got thru to their customer  'service' who apparently knew nothing about why a mobile number was used , why B.T. market a service like this & didn't abide by the Telephone Preference Service Rules (appeared to think that they didn't have to unless the customer specifically asked for this to be entered in their B.T. files).
Any body got a clue why B.T. would use a mobile number ?

No folks I don't intend spending the 15 pence necessary to ring the number !

IP Logged

cavaliersteve

Ladock, Cornwall
ANSWERPHONES -Ofcom's Reply
Reply #9 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 11:29am

Our Ref: 2553185

31 Oct 2005

Dear Mr Hicks.

Thank you for your email to Ofcom.

The usefulness of answer phones and whether an individual objects to being charged does, of course, depend very much on the individual's point of view.  If the caller wants to leave a message then clearly they consider it to be a benefit.  If they do not then they will take the opposite view.

We have recorded the views you make about what answer phone messages should now say. 

Yours sincerely

Steven Parker
Ofcom Contact Centre

Ofcom are continually aiming to improve customer service levels, as such your details may be passed to a research agency who will be conducting some research for us. If you would prefer not to be contacted for research purposes you can telephone Ofcom on 0800 169 7670. Please note this is a voicemail service only and we will not be able to discuss your complaint or query on this number. Alternatively you can e-mail your Ofcom reference and full name with the message No contact to market.research@ofcom.org.uk

::Steven Parker
Telecoms Support
contact@ofcom.org.uk

:Shockedfcom
Riverside House
2a Southwark Bridge Road
London SE1 9HA
020 7981 3040
www.ofcom.org.uk

IP Logged

cavaliersteve

Ladock, Cornwall
Reply #10 - Nov 11th, 2008 at 1:46pm

Quote:
Dave wrote: It appears that O2 have managed to get round this by providing a new 'service' called O2 Call Alert. This tells the caller that the receiver will be sent a text message giving them the number you called from. All well and good, you might think. But the call is now connected, and the caller charged (in most cases a minimum charge of 5p or so).

This I am getting fed up with as well, if I try to ring my wife on her mobile and she is in an area that has bad reception, o2 send a text to tell her I tried to call, but we may be in town just trying to locate one another so another 10p I believe for the text.

This happens with friends as well, my point being, that if my call is important I am quite capable of sending a text, whereas o2 have no idea if the call is important and send the text anyway.

Does anyone know if I can "opt out" of this service?

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #11 - Nov 11th, 2008 at 2:16pm

cavaliersteve wrote on Nov 11th, 2008 at 1:46pm:
This happens with friends as well, my point being, that if my call is important I am quite capable of sending a text, whereas o2 have no idea if the call is important and send the text anyway.

Information from O2 on CallAlert is here.

You and your wife can disable this service by dialling 1760. You might like to advise your friends to do the same.

If you withhold your number to someone who has this service on, you will not be charged. I assume that because you haven't given your number it can't and won't send them a text.

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #12 - Nov 11th, 2008 at 2:18pm

cavaliersteve wrote on Nov 11th, 2008 at 1:46pm:
Quote:
Dave wrote: It appears that O2 have managed to get round this by providing a new 'service' called O2 Call Alert. This tells the caller that the receiver will be sent a text message giving them the number you called from. All well and good, you might think. But the call is now connected, and the caller charged (in most cases a minimum charge of 5p or so).

This I am getting fed up with as well, if I try to ring my wife on her mobile and she is in an area that has bad reception, o2 send a text to tell her I tried to call, but we may be in town just trying to locate one another so another 10p I believe for the text.

Blimey, 3 years to reply, this must surely be a record!!

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #13 - Nov 11th, 2008 at 10:48pm

derrick wrote on Nov 11th, 2008 at 2:18pm:
Blimey, 3 years to reply, this must surely be a record!!

It can actually be slightly annoying when people drag up really old threads. There comes a stage when it's better to start a new thread on the same topic.

The worst is, I was looking through earlier messages in the threads and saw someone who seemed to have similar views to me when it comes to BT 1571. Then I realised that message was posted, in 2005, by a user called jrawle!

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #14 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 2:03pm

I have the equivalent service called Vodafone CallCatcher on my mobile and it sends a text when someone calls me and my phone is turned off or I am out of network coverage - it gives the CLI of the number that called and the time and date.  So far as I am aware the caller is not charged for this service as they just get the usual free network announcement that the phone is off or not available at present.
« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2008 at 2:03pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, bbb_uk, DaveM, Dave, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge