Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Ofcom consultation - 070 acceptable use (Read 81,393 times)
idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Re: URGENT RESPONSE REQD Ofcom and 070/Patientline
Reply #75 - Nov 8th, 2005 at 4:14pm

My response has been submitted, just after 11am Eastern Standard Time today, so I've beaten the deadline! It's rushed and not really what I would have have wanted to submit given more time, nevertheless it has been sent, and I hope others will submit something, even if it is just a few lines.

Ofcom will accept late submissions, so don't worry too much about the 5pm aspect.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #76 - Nov 8th, 2005 at 5:31pm

My submission has also been sent.

I may publish it here in due course.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #77 - Nov 8th, 2005 at 6:10pm

Here is my response to Ofcom.  Of course it will also be published on their website in due course I hope:-

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to respond as follows in respect of your current Consultation on a Proposed amendment to guidance on acceptable use of Personal Numbers

I would also like to note in responding my concern that Ofcom only allowed 13 days and 8 hours for responding to this consultation compared to its usual 10 weeks and that it also failed to produce a Plain English distillation of its proposals in what is a somewhat technologically complex but more importantly especially jargon filled subject area.  This has hardly helped protect the interests of uk Citizens and Consumers in being able to access the proposals in this consultation and to respond within this very reprehensibly short consultation period.

Although I believe your Director of Investigations, Mr David Stewart, has attempted to justify this on the basis that Ofcom was not under a statutory duty to run this particular consultation, the fact is that you did choose to do so and it really does stretch the bounds of public credibility to suggest that all the relevant stakeholders and private individuals involved are likely to hear about and have had time to respond to such a consultation in such a short period of time.  In fact the more cynical amongst us might be inclined to believe that when such an important matter is involved in the consultation (namely telephone access to hospital patients who are barred from using their mobile phones in hospital buildings) that the short notice involved was specifically designed to ensure that Ofcom only received responses from those parties most likely to agree with the recommendations in its guidance on acceptable use of Personal Numbers - that is only from other professionals in the telecoms industry who are on Ofcom's daily Update lists and are paid for their living to respond on matters commercially important to the companies that employ them..  Also I must disagree with Mr David Stewart that Ofcom is only consulting on those paragraphs in the Guidance on Acceptable Use of Personal Numbers which it has amended in this version, since it is very clear that it is the whole document from Paragraphs 1 to 22 inclusive, as outlined in Pages 11 to 14 of the Consultation document (or confusingly numbered 13 to 16 in the PDF posted by Ofcom on its website) on which it is in fact asking for comments.

I would like to respond to the proposed revised guidance as follows:-

1) I am very concerned that this proposed guidance on acceptable use of 070 numbers is intended to retrospectively sign off the misuse of 070 numbers for certain applications for which they were never originally envisaged.  Furthermore it is clear to me that the original concept of Personal Numbers was that the numbers were totally flexible and that calls could be redirected to either one number or a hunt group list of numbers specified by the personal number owner and able to be easily changed at will at any time by the personal number owner.  This would occur either through a call centre, touch tone driven menus or these days via a website run by the company selling the 070 number services to the end user.

2) It is clear that the concept of a Personal Number was that it was totally under the control of the end user and such numbers were generally chosen because end users normally chose to terminate calls on a variety of different fixed line and mobile telephones from day to day but it was certainly never envisaged that 070 numbers would be used to terminate only on fixed line extensions on a DDI switchboard where the number assigned to the person being called, whilst specific to the person called ,was not a number chosen by the person called or a number that they could have redirected at any time at their own discretion.
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2005 at 6:11pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #78 - Nov 8th, 2005 at 6:12pm

Continued/...

3) I would therefore like to object in the strongest possible terms to Ofcom's statement in Paragraph 9 of the proposed revised guidance that "examples of services that may not fit the traditional mode of personal numbering but which Ofcom considers to be legitimate uses of Personal Numbering Services include:-"numbers intended for use in internet chat rooms, numbers intended solely for the purposes of selling and numbers allocated to hospital patients so that they can have their own number for the duration of the stay".  The characteristic feature of all these attempts to vary PNS usage terms by Ofcom seems to me to be that although at the very moment they are used they do route calls directly to the personal number user they are not actually able to be retained by the end user or redirected by the end user to other mobile or fixed line numbers in the manner originally intended for personal numbers.  In fact the consequences of such a permission by Ofcom is to drive a coach and horses through the whole National Telephone Number Plan so that what we are faced with is higher priced Special Services numbers that should be controlled by ICSTIS but are instead allowed to be operated on the 070 number code without adequate awareness of or notification to those calling the numbers that they are charged at rates of up to £30 an hour.

4) For Ofcom to claim that this use of PNS is legitimate is for Ofcom to merely look for a way to rewrite its own acceptable use guidance so as to legitimise the activities of all existing 070 PNS number users, especially users providing access to hospital patients, that were in fact quite clearly outside the intentions for which 070 PNS numbers were originally set up.  And although those intentions are I think in hindsight themselves very questionable, and although all such uses could legitimately have been confined entirely to 09 premium rate numbers, if there was a legitimate use it was actually for individuals who intended to keep the numbers long term and reassign them to different fixed line and mobile phones regularly, under their own control and for their own convenience.

5) It is utterly clear to me that numbers assigned to hospital patients for simply the duration of their stay in hospital do not meet the spirit or  the letter of the intended original use of PNS, even when the number does at least lead to the bedside of the individual in hospital who needs to be called.

6) It is abundantly clear that by trying to draw a distinction between NTS numbers where the called party can share revenue and those that cannot share revenue in this way that Ofcom is not acting in the best interest of citizens and consumers but is instead acting to legalise the abuses of the National Telephone Number Plan perpetrated by certain parts of the telecoms industry.  In my opinion this is because too many staff at a senior level at Ofcom have recently worked in those industries and so are unable to adequately separate the best interests of the uk citizens and consumers Ofcom is supposed to protect from the best interests of telecommunications companies

7) In my opinion there are no circumstances that justify allowing those staying in hospital to only be given access to a monopoly fixed line phone service at the patient bedside at rates of up to 50p per minute that do not also justify such services being properly regulated by ICSTIS as Premium Rate and assigned 09 telephone numbers with all the requirements for cost disclosure that entails.

8 In my opinion because of the potential confusion of the 070 access number with being a mobile phone number and the likelihood of people calling such numbers on other mobile phones expecting to be able to use inclusive cross network minutes the whole concept of 070 personal numbers is now entirely wrong and flawed and the numbers should be reassigned to an 09 prefix code.  Whether or not a revenue share is involved to the end user is utterly immaterial to the caller who only cares about being made properly aware of what they are likely to have to pay for the call.

9) However even if one accepts for a moment the concept of legitimate personal number use these hospital services most certainly do not meet its requirements because the Personal Number is not under the control of the patient, is not permanently assigned to them so that they can use it when they come back to hospital a few months later in a different bed or even a different hospital. In addition the numbers cannot, as far as I know, be redirected to their mobile phone or landline when they eventually leave hospital as again would be expected of any legitimate 070 PNS use.

10) Ofcom does not seem to have thought through properly or logically the potentially appalling consequence of legitimising PNS use for such applications and an obvious next step would be to encourage numerous operators of fixed line telephone services to student rooms in student halls to attempt to offer the services on 070 numbers at up to 50p per minute instead of the 0844/0845/0870 and 0871 Special Service Numbers that they currently use at significantly lower call rates.

In summary this Guidance on Personal Number is not in the best interests of uk citizens and consumers for the reasons set out above and should be replaced by Ofcom with proposals for a revised guidance that is in the best interests of those uk citizens and consumers

Regards............
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2005 at 6:14pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Ofcom consultation - 070 acceptable use
Reply #79 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 6:39pm

The responses to the consultation on Personal Numbering have been published here.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #80 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 8:27pm

Several consumers have responded, including Dr Feltham. The sentiments of consumers' responses are generally the same, and the hospital uses figure highly.

The only PNS provider to respond is FleXtel. It suggests that price transparency is needed in the UK telecoms market, and suggests that telcos should provide call price announcements. A 1xx prefix would be used to turn this on or off.

Responses from TUFF (Telecommunications UK Fraud Forum) and VOPNS (Victims of PNS) mention the scams and AIT (artificial inflation of traffic) that takes place with 070 numbers.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #81 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 8:36pm

These responses were only published after I prodded them several times this week.  Those who follow this forum regularly will note the response by a certain Councillor in addition to the good Doctor.

At the workshop on Thursday Ofcom Competition Partner Sean Williams was not even aware of the existence of the 070 consultation when I challenged them on why there wasn't one logical consultation document for all of NTS numbering at one go.

By the way did you or Daniel or DaveM submit a response to this consultation Dave?  Perhaps you were one of the two Anons? Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #82 - Nov 28th, 2005 at 12:16am

Quote:
By the way did you or Daniel or DaveM submit a response to this consultation Dave?  Perhaps you were one of the two Anons? Roll Eyes

Oh, I responded.  Wink

I recognise a few familiar names who are members on here.

The two Anons, they were very similar, just a bit reworded. Both refer to 07 personal numbers, as opposed to 070 personal numbers. I could be forgiven for thinking that they were written by the same person.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Dave, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge