Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print
How Can We Improve SayNoTo0870 - Part2 (Read 289,932 times)
pigsonthewing

Birmingham, England
Suggestion: use microformats
Reply #30 - Oct 13th, 2007 at 5:34pm

This is a superb service but I would suggest paying attention to improving its compliance with HTML standards (preferably HTML 4.01 Strict); improving accessibility, and making the site work on mobile devices. Also using the hCard microformat ([url]http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard[/url]) to mark up your listings.

This will allow people to add them directly to their address books or dial them from their PCs or mobile devices, without needing to re-key or paste them.

For example (extraneous markup omitted for clarity):

<tr>
<td class=windowbg2><a href=[URL]>British Gas</a></td>
<td class=windowbg2>0845 6060852</td>
<td class=windowbg2>0113 3381022</td>
<td class=windowbg2>0800 0281028</td>
<td class=windowbg2>Billing enquiries;<br>also for 0845 6091122 & 0845 7888400</td></tr>
</tr>

would become

<tr class=vcard>
<td class=windowbg2 fn org><a href=[URL]>British Gas</a></td>
<td class=windowbg2 tel>0845 6060852</td>
<td class=windowbg2 tel>0113 3381022</td>
<td class=windowbg2 tel>0800 0281028</td>
<td class=windowbg2 note>Billing enquiries;<br>also for 0845 6091122 & 0845 7888400</td></tr>
</tr>

with the addition of classes "vcard", "fn org", "note" and several instances of "tel". And that's it.

I'm happy to assist with additional sample code, checking test versions, etc.

Thank you.

[edit]This has been brought to the attention of the [link=http://www.saynoto0870.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?action=viewprofile;username=admin]Forum Admin[/link] and the reply from Daniel should follow shortly. Please PM him direct if you want it to be answered faster.

[color=#ff0000][i]DaveM[/i][/color][/edit]

[edit][quote author=pigsonthewing link=1130665764/30#33 date=1194440947]No interest ??[/quote][/edit]
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2007 at 8:26pm by DaveM »  

IP Logged

Herr_Schluggell

Re: How Can We Improve SayNoTo0870 - Part2
Reply #31 - Nov 16th, 2007 at 10:42am

Related but slightly different - It might be nice to start a list of known Fax Spam numbers.....
Even registering with FPS doesn't seem to halt the onslaught.

Curiously, many seem to be various flavours of 08xx xxx xxxx - But all seem to get the same computerized response that takes around 40 seconds to finally say your number is removed.

Edited:
Sounds like a good idea (to me).

Can I suggest you start a thread in Geographical Requests inviting people to add Spam Numbers to it.
That way we can also find the originators of those we don't already have names for. Roll Eyes

We could even find some legal way of stopping the perpetrators.

DaveM
« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2007 at 11:45pm by DaveM »  

Establish a Garden. Cultivate Community.

IP Logged

mossycow

Reply #32 - Nov 24th, 2007 at 12:41pm

I'd just like the 'search for numbers' bit much, much bigger. Otherwise, excellent

Edited:
jgxenite wrote on Nov 25th, 2007 at 11:36am:
How do you mean bigger?
« Last Edit: Nov 25th, 2007 at 2:04pm by DaveM »  

IP Logged

StephenK

Reply #33 - Nov 25th, 2007 at 12:05pm

What about a general chit chat area? So people can just chill out etc..

Edited:
This isn't a forum for General Chit Chat.

It's to request help in finding numbers or info about them, or to Chit Chat about numbers & other things.
Oh - Oh!! Couldn't you use that forum to Chit Chat ??  Roll Eyes

DaveM
« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2007 at 11:45pm by DaveM »  

IP Logged

MaryB

Reply #34 - Dec 18th, 2007 at 4:57pm

Can anyone of the moderators tell me why my Northern Ireland postcode is not recognised on the "sign the petition" page, so I can't sign it?  There are about 1 million residents in Northern Ireland.  Thats a lot of potential signatures going to waste.  It doesn't make any sense. Sad

Edited:
I have just looked on the PM's website and I don't see anything which says it won't accept them. What message did it give you?

Dave

« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2007 at 11:13pm by DaveM »  

IP Logged

MaryB

Reply #35 - Dec 20th, 2007 at 2:17pm

It says "Please enter a valid postcode or choose and overseas option".  N.I is hardly "overseas"!!

Edited:
Am I right in saying that the whole of Northern Ireland is in the Belfast (BT) post code? So are you saying it does not accept BT post codes?

Dave

Edited:
MaryB wrote on Dec 22nd, 2007 at 6:43pm:
To be absolutely sure, I used my friends details (with her permission of course) with her N.I postcode to sign the petition and to my surprise it worked!!  So the problem must just be with my particular code.  Weird!!!

Edited:
Are you on a new estate, i.e. is your address/post code new?

Dave
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2007 at 1:49am by DaveM »  

IP Logged

lyndhurst25

Reply #36 - Apr 12th, 2008 at 2:32pm

I think that somebody has already suggested something similar but what about publishing a sample letter to send to organizations that have recently, or about to, change to using a non-geographical number? The letter would need to be simple and straight to the point - telling the organization of the error of their ways, the disadvantages on a non-geo number and why they are making a big customer-relations mistake. I have been involved with two companies recently who have fallen for telecoms company marketing spiel and subsequently changed to an 0845 number thinking that it  would be "good for business" and "be CHEAPER for customers to call"!

IP Logged

sandy.beach

Reply #37 - Jun 7th, 2008 at 9:32pm

Hi first of all i love this site, it is great !!!

So great i have it listed on every email i send everywhere, and i recommended everyone does this to spread the word of saynoto0870 and to help as many people as possible stop using those stupid expensive rip off numbers !!!

Ok i noticed you get alot of emails (from you contact page). Now on the search result page why not have a little box next to each line of results with a check box and the column named "report phone number" and then people could choose different report results such as "does not work", and "additional alternative to this number", "remove as it goes to a different company" etc. That way when you look at your emails, you can see exactly what search results people are refuring to and more importantly instantly knowing how many people are emailing you about the same thing, which would mean you could read say many emails all saying the same thing at once, saving you alot of valuable time and leaving you more time to do other things Smiley

What does anyone else thing? I think if people can suggest more ways to automate things on the site and help our friendly owner the more time time he will have free.

Also we could do a wiki thing where anyone can add a phone number but it is only added when say 4 moderators say yes to it, this way more phone numbers could be added very quickly without one person dedicating their life to it etc.

Anyone else have any ideas ?
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2008 at 12:36am by DaveM »  

IP Logged

binarybee

XML feed
Reply #38 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 12:37am

I was wondering if you would consider providing an XML feed for search results?

I'm interested in developing an application that allows users to search for numbers in your database.

Edited:
alexhansford wrote on Jul 14th, 2008 at 8:32am:
I've created an XML feed using the Dapper service - which creates XML feeds from web pages - hope this helps:

http://www.dapper.net/dapp-howto-use.php?dappName=Saynoto0870working

It queries the website with your company name - then turns it into an XML feed.

Does that help?

Edited:
binarybee wrote on Jul 14th, 2008 at 3:20pm:
I'm not sure if alexhansford's suggestion will be suitable - as I'm guessing it could easily break if the design of the results page is edited.

It would be more benificial if the site admins could create a new PHP page that could be sent either a company name or phone number and it returns an XML document with search results.

I'd also be interested to implement a way of submitting new numbers or reporting errors etc, but that could come later down the line.

So... site admins, please can you advise if this is something that you could implement? I can assist with any PHP coding if required. If you'd like more info of the application I'm thinking of writing drop me a PM.

Edited:
alexhansford wrote on Jul 14th, 2008 at 7:16pm:
I agree that this method is a bit fragile - but in the meantime this might be a start... plus you can always swap it out once we get some movement on this.

Edited:
binarybee wrote on Jul 14th, 2008 at 7:31pm:
True.

I'm a bit confused how the drap thing works. It doesn't appear to be giving any results?
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2008 at 11:58pm by DaveM »  

IP Logged

osmodia

Reply #39 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 3:47pm

Why is COPY & PASTE disabled on this site? It would make searching and using the numbers so much easier as I often use skype.

Edited:
jgxenite wrote on Oct 9th, 2008 at 3:53pm:
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2008 at 7:17pm by DaveM »  

IP Logged

Gef-D

Reply #40 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 3:40pm

Hi, its great that this site has been set up - THANKS!  Lets just hope it can hep to improve our situation - we (the British public) have been synically exploited by the Telecomms industry for far too long.  

This is a copy of a letter I sent to OFCOM recently:-  (please send your own to them too!)

To OFCOM
It seems to me that Ofcom are virtually in cahoots with the Telecomms industry!  Specifically, the 0870 rip-off - allowing (and thereby encouraging) companies to benefit financially by keeping customers on the line for as long as possible. It is absolutely outrageous!  It shows a total lack of respect for people.  It seems blindingly obvious that this is simply unethical - to any right minded person?   Surely, if we have to make a call to a company it is either to give business to them, or - if their product is unsatisfactory in any way - to request their assistance - due to THEIR products inadequacy!  WHY on earth should we have to pay for THEIR inadequacies?  The LEAST we should expect is that we only pay the minimum available rate for a call - or preferably FREE of course!  To add insult to injury, we are then placed on hold time after time which just exaccerbates the frustration & expense.  Surely, in a civilised country, we should treat people with more respect?  There can be absolutely no excuse for these unethical - and totally unnecessay - practices in a modern, civilised country.

No wonder then that ludicrously over complex & long automated answer-machines have become so prolific over recent years - the longer the messages & options, the more money they can rip-off from their poor customers!  It is quite literally a license to rip-off the British public.  So WHY on earth doesn't OFCOM ban this totally unjustified way of penalising the public?  In addition, with todays technology, it would be very easy to, for instance, for OFCOM to force all UK companies to pay for the holding part of a call.  WHY should the customer pay for the 'privelage' of being kept hanging on to the receiver listening to annoying music & messages - repeated ad nausium!  Software could easily monitor how many minutes were spent 'on hold' and that part of the call could then be billed to the company and NOT the customer.  I have personally been kept on hold for many hours in total recently - which is a totally unjustified expense which should be bourne by the inefficient business in question.  After all, to put someone on hold should very rarely be necessary - IF THEIR STAFF WERE TRAINED ADEQUATELY -  SO WHY SHOULD THE CUSTOMER BE PENALISED FOR THE INEFFICIENCIES OF THE COMPANY?    

I wonder how many millions of man-hours are wasted each year

Also, why should the public have to pay to stop those extremely expensive 09 Premium-rate numbers being dialled from our phone?   It should be every persons right to EASILY prevent these numbers being dialled from their line - and for NO EXTRA CHARGE.  Children can sometimes be tempted to dial these numbers by devious adverts & offers, so their parents should have the right to be protected from these exhorbitant charges.

You know it makes sense, so ....

SHARPEN YOUR TEETH OFCOM & TAKE ACTION NOW !!!

IP Logged

Gef-D

Reply #41 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 3:48pm

Great site, but why not encourage your visitors to write complaints to OFCOM regarding the numerous unethical practices that they appear to allow UK companies to use i.e. 0870, which encourages the abuse of unnecessarily complex & time-wasting answer machines as a virtual "money-extractor"!   

If we, the British public, inundate OFCOM with a continous barage of complaints surely then they must take heed?  As has been demonstrated by the the BBC-Ross/Brand fiasco, 'people-power' does seem to have actually worked, so lets use the same tactics with OFCOM hey?

IP Logged

David_H

North London
Reply #42 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 4:48pm

I've been using this site for years and found it very helpful but only just joined the forums.

I have one query about added features, there seems to be nowhere to talk about other non geographical numbers. Since other more general sites don't have the expert knowledge members do here if I ask similar questions elsewhere they tend to end up in the 'unanswered question' lists or just get silly unhelpful suggestions.

For example I want to learn why Ofcom created 055- numbers although they already have 08- and 070- numbers charging customers more than 01/02/03 but know if I started a thread it would be in the wrong place. There must be reams of queries about the other numbers but as far as I know nowhere specific to ask them.

Global warming is the new religion of the century. Be original and be an atheist.
neasdenparade  
IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #43 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 6:22pm

If you want to discuss a particular range of numbers, I'd suggest the "Geographical Numbers Chat" forum is the best place for this.

To answer your question briefly, I believe 055 numbers were intended to be corporate numbers. The idea was that a company needing lots of phone numbers could have a block of 055 numbers allocated to itself directly, and they would then find a phone company to provide the service, as opposed to a phone company being allocated the numbers then providing them to corporate customers. This idea never really took off, and as you say just adds to the confusion over the cost of calls.

IP Logged

alaister

Reply #44 - Dec 9th, 2008 at 11:34pm

Hi,

A newbie here.

Phoning 08 numbers from mobiles is especially expensive so, could you provide a service whereby the 08 number is sent by text to a number you provide and the alternative geograhical number is sent back by return text? You could pay for the service from a small charges levied on the text number.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, bbb_uk, Dave, Forum Admin, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge