Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Send Topic Print
How Can We Improve SayNoTo0870 - Part2 (Read 289,938 times)
Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: How Can We Improve SayNoTo0870 - Part2
Reply #45 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 3:28pm

alaister wrote on Dec 9th, 2008 at 11:34pm:
Phoning 08 numbers from mobiles is especially expensive so, could you provide a service whereby the 08 number is sent by text to a number you provide and the alternative geograhical number is sent back by return text? You could pay for the service from a small charges levied on the text number.

The issue of access via mobiles has been brought up before. To this end, we hope to implement a mobile version of the database search engine.

See other threads in the Site Related section such as "I-Phone App".
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2008 at 3:29pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #46 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 5:12pm

Have a look at:
http://www.google.com/gwt/n
on your phone.

Enter the URL:
http://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php
and tick "No Images".

Then bookmark the resulting page. This uses Google to convert the site to WML or XML, according to your phone's capabilities. Many phones allow mobile web browsing now, but this gives a smaller (and cheaper if you pay per kB) version of the page, and should work on older phones.

IP Logged

DDinnit

Reply #47 - Mar 11th, 2009 at 11:39am

Being that this web page is availlable to forum members only and there may be forum members that are not genuine ?? Can i state that this forum and the works of sayno have helped me save a hell of a lot of money only being a mobile phone family with no land line.. Good on yer !!! But being open to the 5th columnist of the companies that we are trying to make availlable reasonable cost phone calls to the masses. do you not think that by setting up a private message group that confirms the number is genuine and availlable is going to do more good than just adding numbers to the server as and when a poster submits them ?? There are eyes watching us ???

IP Logged

Apex

Reply #48 - Mar 24th, 2009 at 12:50pm

An API might be useful...

IP Logged

mrs_andrews
Ex Member

Reply #49 - Apr 4th, 2009 at 10:38am

As a new member it would be really useful to have these posts listed in reverse chronological order - ie starting with the most recent.

Also, is it possible to delete or archive any polls that have a past cut-off date?  

Thank you Smiley

Edited:
NGMsGhost wrote on Apr 4th, 2009 at 10:50am:
Well the default order of most internet forums is oldest post first and newest last.  The same order that a book is written in!

Some forums let you alter the post order to have newest first for the few of you out there with unusual brain structures who for some reason find this preferable.  But this forum isn't one of them as it uses the more limited YaBB forum software.

Again you arrive in the forum and then seem to think the whole place should apparently immediately be changed just for your benefit?
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2009 at 4:51pm by DaveM »  

IP Logged

ew.walgrove

Bradford, West Yorkshire
Coat of Arms

Bradford, West Yorkshire
Reply #50 - Apr 28th, 2009 at 1:18am

How about setting up a Facebook account for the website. I think this would help.

Edited:
dawonksta wrote on Apr 12th, 2009 at 1:44pm:
Well, I've made you a FACEBOOK group to try to get a wider audience - it's full name is 'Say No to 0870 - Don't pay premium rate for important phone calls. Please join up !!

« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2009 at 4:56pm by DaveM »  

IP Logged

SkyPaulusPlus

Reply #51 - May 3rd, 2009 at 3:43pm

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr192/skypaulusplus/snt0.jpg
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr192/skypaulusplus/snt02.jpg
i was thinking the site could be done up, volantary by members of the forums, WHY NOT
so i have created two new logos for you FREE
im lovin this site, keep going

IP Logged

37monkey

Google gadget
Reply #52 - May 2nd, 2009 at 10:20pm

Hello,
I use iGoogle as my homepage on my PC , this allows me to add gadgets such as currency converters, money saving expert tips and driving directions to name just a few - it's just the post at the top of the page talks about mobile access.

Are there any plans to make a Say no to 0870 gadget?

thanks
« Last Edit: May 15th, 2009 at 1:00am by DaveM »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #53 - May 4th, 2009 at 4:42pm

I like the 3D logo from SkyPaulusPlus.

There have been many suggestions and I'm not entirely convinced that they are best all moved to one thread, as DaveM has done.

37monkey, I'm not familiar with iGoogle, what does it do?

http://www.google.co.uk/ig

I too would like to see a way of accessing the database on mobile phones. This has long been talked about and there have been offers of help, but site admin has yet to do anything.

IP Logged

catj

Reply #54 - Jun 6th, 2009 at 8:16pm

Just one suggestion here. Fix up the format of listed numbers to comply with the Ofcom recommended way of writing them.

I put the detailed stuff in a separate thread:   http://www.saynoto0870.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1244293980 ;   Smiley

One side benefit: maybe less repetition of the same number in multiple formats  (e.g. 023 8005 1003  and 0238 0051003 and 02380 051003) being submitted.

IP Logged

DaveM
Global Moderator

Du vin, du pain,   du
Ibuprofen ¡

Peterborough
Reply #55 - Sep 1st, 2009 at 10:01am

Off topic replies have been moved to This Thread

IP Logged

Pingu393

Reply #56 - Oct 2nd, 2009 at 12:49am

I was using my laptop today and I couldn't see any characters inside the blue verification box.  Is there a problem with some graphic cards?

I couldn't add an alternative number and I couldn't report the fault as they both needed me to confirm the verification number that I couldn't see Angry.

IP Logged

P0TTER

Chelmsford, Essex
Reply #57 - Oct 2nd, 2009 at 5:47am

Dear Administrator of SayNoTo0870

My son recently sent me this message and I wonder if you would like to utilise the information in it and set up the same for your visitors by using voipfone?

I'm sure you are aware that you can't call an 0800 free-phone number for free using your mobile. We think that's wrong, so we thought about it for a while and have come up with a crafty way of making these calls for free, as they were originally designed to be.

Is it really totally free?

Yes - if you have a contract mobile package with included minutes to UK geographic numbers like 01 and 02. (Even if you use a Pay-as-you-go mobile it's normally cheaper than calling the 0800 directly; but you need to check with your provider.)

How does it work?

1. Dial our access number 029 2000 0800 (add it to your address book)

2. When we answer, just enter the 0800 number you want to call and wait to be connected.

That's it.

How can you do it for free?

---------------------------

We get a tiny fraction of a penny for the call from the network operator, not enough to matter but enough to cover our costs. But we mostly do it simply because we can, because it's quite cool and because we think mobile phone pricing is a rip-off.

You'll find more mobile phone workaround tricks here: http://www.voipfone.co.uk/FP_Voipfone_For_Mobile_Customers.php

This works for 0808 and 0500 free-phone numbers too.

----------------------------------------------------

ps You don't need to be a Voipfone customer to use this trick, tell your friends; send them this email!

PPS. Perhaps SayNoTo0870 would like to set up their own link for their visitors to use.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #58 - Oct 2nd, 2009 at 7:56am

Perhaps we can improve SayNoTo0870 by having a small ads section in which providers of telecoms services can place advertisements for a modest fee.

All providers offer a valuable service to their customers and earn a living in the process. Clearly there is a good living to be made out of dial-through numbers. There is no reason why providers of this service should not incur marketing costs like any other. The indirect means by which the service is paid for does not make it fundamentally different from others.
« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2009 at 7:57am by SilentCallsVictim »  
IP Logged

jpfinney

Re: How Can We Improve SayNoTo0870 - Part
Reply #59 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 1:38pm

I haven't been able to find this subject elsewhere and couldn't see how to start a new topic so I'll post here.

Like many BT customers, I jumped ship as soon as there was a viable alternative and have been a business and personal customer with Nynex/Cable & Wireless/NTL/Virgin ever since.  They're far from perfect, but they'd have a long way to go to beat BT's dire customer service.

Also, like many customers, I was completely unaware that not all 08.. numbers are charged at the 'local rate' as commonly understood (and widely marketed).  That's when I started using this very useful site.  Now, whenever I have to ring an 08.. number, I go to this site first, but I'm still unclear which numbers I actually need to do this for.  I've made three attempts to get clarification on this from Virgin, but they haven't been much help.  They've sent me a full tariff that's pages long or given detailed charging rates that still leave me unclear as to how to act.  What I need is just a simple list I can stick on my wall with the common 08.. prefixes and a simple Yes/No or tick/cross next to each one so I know which ones I need to get alternatives for and which ones I don't.

This would be a valuable item to have on your home page or, better still, on the 'SEARCH TO FIND AN ALTERNATIVE NUMBER' page.  Given that this site is of more interest to non-BT customers, I'd have thought this would be a particularly valuable addition.

Have I missed this somewhere else?

Have I posted in the right place?

Comments from a moderator/admin would be most welcome.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, bbb_uk, Dave, CJT-80, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge