Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Send Topic Print
How Can We Improve SayNoTo0870 - Part2 (Read 289,959 times)
sherbert
Supreme Member

Re: How Can We Improve SayNoTo0870 - Part2
Reply #60 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 1:59pm

With BT calls via 0845 & 0870 are inclusive depending which calling plan you are on.

For Virgin

Charges (per min) for Freephone numbers beginning with 0800  Free

Charges (per min) for non-geographic numbers beginning with 0845        Charges (per min) for non-geographic numbers beginning with 0870
Daytime
6am - 6pm            9.79p                                                                                                                        9.79p

Evening
6pm - 6am            9.79p                                                                                                                        9.79p

for every chargeable (ppm) call you make, there's a connection cost of 9.79p.  

See here  http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/service.do?id=3

I am not sure what they charge for 0871 & 0844 numbers
« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2009 at 2:01pm by sherbert »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: How Can We Improve SayNoTo0870 - Part
Reply #61 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 2:12pm

Hello and welcome to SAYNOTO0870.COM.

jpfinney wrote on Oct 20th, 2009 at 1:38pm:
…  Now, whenever I have to ring an 08.. number, I go to this site first, but I'm still unclear which numbers I actually need to do this for.  I've made three attempts to get clarification on this from Virgin, but they haven't been much help.  They've sent me a full tariff that's pages long or given detailed charging rates that still leave me unclear as to how to act.  What I need is just a simple list I can stick on my wall with the common 08.. prefixes and a simple Yes/No or tick/cross next to each one so I know which ones I need to get alternatives for and which ones I don't.

Whilst this is a good idea, it needs to be kept up-to-date.

However, in general with Virgin Media, 0845 and 0870 are very very expensive. Virgin Media publishes full call charges online at www.virginmedia.com/callcosts

Which tariff are you on?

IP Logged

bah

Reply #62 - Oct 22nd, 2009 at 10:42am

It would be very helpful if there was a way to make contact to have incorrect numbers removed.  For example the first number which has been posted for Student Finance England (01273 482031) is correct for continuing students who live in East Sussex ONLY but is being used by students from all over the country who are not always happy when help is not available. This has lead to considerable frustration (and expense) for callers and for staff taking the callswho then have to be referred back to the main Student Support number.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #63 - Oct 22nd, 2009 at 10:55am

bah wrote on Oct 22nd, 2009 at 10:42am:
It would be very helpful if there was a way to make contact to have incorrect numbers removed.  For example the first number which has been posted for Student Finance England (01273 482031) is correct for continuing students who live in East Sussex ONLY but is being used by students from all over the country who are not always happy when help is not available. This has lead to considerable frustration (and expense) for callers and for staff taking the callswho then have to be referred back to the main Student Support number.

Hi and welcome to SAYNOTO0870.COM.

Numbers can be reported either via the contact form or the forum.

I like your advice on what to do with these entries.

You say that this number is only for students living in East Sussex, which I appreciate because it's a number for the council there. I understand that this is how it used to be before the widely reported fiasco this year; that is local councils dealt with student finance in their respective areas. That is probably why finance numbers for your council and some others are listed in our database. Do a search for
student finance
in the company name box and you will see what I mean.

I was in two minds whether to remove these other entries that are direct to local councils as there is now a national helpline (0845 300 5090) of which there is a direct alternative now listed. So do you still deal with student enquiries in your area when they call or do you pass them on to the national helpline?
« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2009 at 2:53pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #64 - Oct 22nd, 2009 at 11:15am

bah wrote on Oct 22nd, 2009 at 10:42am:
It would be very helpful if there was a way to make contact to have incorrect numbers removed.  For example the first number which has been posted for Student Finance England (01273 482031) is correct for continuing students who live in East Sussex ONLY but is being used by students from all over the country who are not always happy when help is not available. This has lead to considerable frustration (and expense) for callers and for staff taking the callswho then have to be referred back to the main Student Support number.

I note that none of the alternative numbers are listed on the Student Finance England - useful contacts page. Even the direct alternative to the main contact number seems to have been accidentally removed (or perhaps the directgov website has a feature for that to be done by whoever profits from the revenue share on the 0845 number.)

When the new owners set up their own web site it would be very helpful if they include all of this valuable additional contact information. This is of course assuming that they contract local authorities to act as their paid agents.

IP Logged

revjohnmacleod

Reply #65 - Nov 24th, 2009 at 1:23pm

It would be a big help if the "Contact Us" box did not immediately lose all its information because of some perceived error -- it's disconcerting having apparently made an error finding when one goes back to correct it that all the information typed in has disappeared.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #66 - Nov 24th, 2009 at 1:31pm

revjohnmacleod wrote on Nov 24th, 2009 at 1:23pm:
It would be a big help if the "Contact Us" box did not immediately lose all its information because of some perceived error -- it's disconcerting having apparently made an error finding when one goes back to correct it that all the information typed in has disappeared.

I've sent you a private message which you can read by clicking the "1 message" just below the SAYNOTO0870.COM banner at the top of forum pages.

IP Logged

p1smith

Reply #67 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 10:38am

You are directing DPD and Interlink Customer Services to 0121 569 1390.  This is the customs section.  you are causing blockage and although you  have been repeatedly asked youto change the number you have not!!

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #68 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 11:28am

p1smith wrote on Dec 23rd, 2009 at 10:38am:
You are directing DPD and Interlink Customer Services to 0121 569 1390.  This is the customs section.  you are causing blockage and although you  have been repeatedly asked youto change the number you have not!!

What is the geographical number then?

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #69 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 11:57am

You are directing DPD and Interlink Customer Services to 0121 569 1390.  This is the customs section.  you are causing blockage and although you  have been repeatedly asked youto change the number you have not!!

But if your company didn't use covert premium 0844 numbers, which your customers obviously dislike else they would not be ringing numbers published here, then there wouldn't be a problem.

Your company chooses to impose charges on its customers who make contact by telephone. An inevitable side effect of this is that they are likely to look for ways around it.
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2009 at 12:02pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #70 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 12:45pm

I suspect that the organization above has been asked by its customers to stop using premium numbers and it has not. Stop scamming the customers then there will be no need for them to call the 'wrong' number. Easy.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #71 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 6:32pm

Having a good look accross the whole site and also being a member of another forum based website I'd suggest a Uniform styling to SNT0870, an example of a site I mean is : http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ and their forum is: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/ ....  

Now don't get me wrong SNT0870 is a GREAT resource, I just feel if you want to attract MORE attention to the issues and work arounds of Non-Geographic numbers then a re-design and a more uniform approach to the design of the site is needed.

I am not in a position to give any more specific examples, but I am sure u get the drift... a more connected site basically..

Keep up the good work however !

*edited for spelling mistakes"
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2010 at 6:33pm by CJT-80 »  

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

nottRobin

Nottingham, UK
Reply #72 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 12:03pm

I see there have been sooo many suggestions for improvements to SNto0870, and none of them, as far as I can see, have been implemented.

Who is actually responsible for development of this site? Who actually has access to the server? Because I'd like to talk to them about possibly helping out with actually improving the thing.

Anyone else with web design / development skills please post below as well. Hopefully we can get a team together. (I imagine we'd be working for free in our spare time, but still...)

Cheers,
Robin.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #73 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 12:09pm

nottRobin wrote on Aug 10th, 2010 at 12:03pm:
I see there have been sooo many suggestions for improvements to SNto0870, and none of them, as far as I can see, have been implemented.

Indeed. Many have volunteered to help out designing mobile apps and the like but their calls fall on deaf ears with site admin.  Cry

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #74 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 12:17pm

nottRobin wrote on Aug 10th, 2010 at 12:03pm:
Who is actually responsible for development of this site?

Daniel who also runs the website entitled www.djbnet.co.uk

Quote:
Who actually has access to the server? Because I'd like to talk to them about possibly helping out with actually improving the thing.

Daniel as above but he's something of a one man band who nobody else who regularly participates on the site's Discussion Forum or even that Discussion Forum's three moderators (Dave, DaveM and bbb_uk) have ever met in person or spoken to on the telephone.  Any communications with Daniel by those involved with the site has been entirely confined to electronic messages.  He did once give a radio interview about the website but that was several years ago now.  Some other members of the discussion forum such as myself, Dave and especially SilentCallsVictim have also been quoted in the media in more recent times.

The economic basis on which this site is run is unknown since the various bits of banner advertising clearly pull in an income given the number of hits the site gets each day.  However it has been claimed in the past that the site does not make a profit although it is unknown if that is only the case after it has paid the wages of its one and only paid member of staff.  It has been previously established that the moderators of this discussion forum all give their time to the cause free of charge.
« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2010 at 12:17pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, CJT-80, Forum Admin, Dave, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge