Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
REPORTS on OFCOM NTS WORKSHOP - 3pm 24/11 (Read 56,994 times)
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Re: PLACES AVAILABLE - OFCOM NTS WORKSHOP - 3pm 24
Reply #15 - Nov 24th, 2005 at 5:32pm

I was only made aware of this particular Workshop on an email sent to me on Tuesday (which I only read yesterday). 

Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to make necessary arrangements, and had other committments.

Although I haven't made many posts lately, I have been busy working in the background.  Since sending out the e-mail regarding the Ofcom Consultation (to 4800+ members) I have had a large backlog of e-mails, with people asking for advise on whether their responses were suitable, etc. - I will try and get back to those who haven't yet had a reply as soon as possible.

Thanks again
Daniel

Check Out the main website at http://www.saynoto0870.com
IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #16 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 1:09pm

Hi NGM,

I, like many others on the forum I'm sure, are keen to hear how the workshop went yesterday!!  Come on, spill the beans!  Who from Ofcom was there and how did thay come across ?  Who else attended the workshop and who were they representing.   And what was the strength of feeling amongst the group ?  Any new information come to light that we weren't aware of? Sorry about all these questions - just keen to hear the details !!!  Roll Eyes

Hope it went well anyway and didn't leave you feeling any more cynical than before?
« Last Edit: Nov 25th, 2005 at 1:33pm by gdh82 »  

There's more of us that them, stick together and challenge 0870/0845 etc etc

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #17 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 2:26am

Yes, please let us know what happened. I really hope you have not been silenced by the esteemed Office of Communications.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

omy

I came - I saw - I went
home.

Reply #18 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 7:01am

The sudden 'disappearance' of NGM after the meeting is a bit suspicious - has he been abducted, as a warning to the rest of us?
We, who were unable to make it, would love to know what happened.
Will Ofcom publish minutes?

IP Logged

Sonny

Reply #19 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 10:44am

omy wrote on Nov 26th, 2005 at 7:01am:
The sudden 'disappearance' of NGM after the meeting is a bit suspicious - has he been abducted, as a warning to the rest of us?
We, who were unable to make it, would love to know what happened.
Will Ofcom publish minutes?

Hi, omy!

Far be it for me to respond on NGM's behalf.  I was at the meeting too, but will await NGM's comments before I add my own rather modest ones.

IMHO, NGM should be praised by everyone for his efforts before and during the meeting, and OFCOMmers present displayed a level of respect to NGM which they did not seem to afford to others present.

BTW, I got home at 11 p.m....

Patience, my dear Watson!!....

Sonny

Sonny

IP Logged

omy

I came - I saw - I went
home.

Reply #20 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 11:37am

I think NGM will understand the tone of my enquiry, and the implication of 'abduction'.
Thought not being able to attend myself, due to hospitalisation, he knows I supported him all the way and have respect for the work he has put into this campaign.
I think even a one line post saying when he might report back would have been useful, though.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 11:49am

Full report hopefully by end of weekend but have been very busy since meeting with varius other things.  Have to go off to relative's house to see friends from overseas this morning.

It was a much smaller and more exclusive gathering than seemed obvious from Ofcom's invitation to a mere Workshop.  We were sat round a large square meeting table for 2 hours with all the main protagonists from Ofcom, a lot of representatives from their consumer panels and advisory committees (who with one glorious and very noteworthy exception were almost utterly useless in adequately representing the interests of the uk consumer), a lady from Which (who tried but did not have a full understanding of and was not a firebrand on these issues), a guy representing Citizens Advice Bureauxs and the main guy from the COI (Marc Michaels) who made some pretty helpful points in saying why Ofcom's proposals to not change 0845 at the same time as 0870 would cause them a nightmare.

Tanllan, dorf and bbb_uk are now probably going to be even sorrier than they no doubt already are that they unfortunately couldn't be there on Thursday.

Ofcom were given a very hard time on all of the more ludicrous aspects of their proposals.  I also learned that there was a possibility before this consultation was published in September (hence I am sure the endless delays in doing so) that Ofcom might have come up with far more customer friendly proposals but this was vetoed at a high level within Ofcom (something I learned informally although not officially admitted at the meeting).

More on this within the next couple of days.
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2005 at 1:55pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

omy

I came - I saw - I went
home.

Reply #22 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 12:39pm

Cheers, NGM, look forward to the full thing.
Not surprising to hear that someone 'high-up' in Ofcom has a veto  (on things which will not favour his commercial 'mates', one assumes!).
Maybe there is more scope to find out who it actually is, now that we maybe know the questions to ask (as Sir Humphrey Appleby might have opined) of FOI etc.

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #23 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 1:17pm

Thanks for the post, NGM.  Your preview was interesting.  In view of the lack of consumer representation, it was clearly vital that you and the other SayNo members were there.  All of us genuinely appreciate you and the other members for attending this important meeting and carrying the fight! Cheers!

And I'm so glad you haven't been abducted, brain-washed, number-translated or ofcom-ed off !!!!!!  (like Omy I was starting to wonder!)

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2005 at 1:24pm by gdh82 »  

There's more of us that them, stick together and challenge 0870/0845 etc etc

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #24 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 7:01pm

Yup NGM, I regret not being down at 2a with you. But at least we had a chance to talk.
I am grateful for the considerable input.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #25 - Nov 28th, 2005 at 12:09am

Hi NGM, the weekend is over and you haven't posted the information on the Ofcom Workshop you promised. Indeed, since Friday you've only made two posts!

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #26 - Nov 28th, 2005 at 3:42am

Dave wrote on Nov 28th, 2005 at 12:09am:
Hi NGM, the weekend is over and you haven't posted the information on the Ofcom Workshop you promised. Indeed, since Friday you've only made two posts!

hes been made to 'dissapear'!!!!

IP Logged

omy

I came - I saw - I went
home.

Reply #27 - Nov 28th, 2005 at 8:05am

Come on , guys, give the man a break!
Dave said the weekend was over (at 9mins past midnight!!!). Technically correct, but as far as I'm concerned 9am on a Monday morning is when MY weekend stops.
Accepting the 'reminder' was a little tongue-in-cheek, let's give NGM a chance to do other things in his life as well.
But I still worry about his 'disappearance' too Sad

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #28 - Nov 28th, 2005 at 9:50am

In his last post, he did say: Quote:
Have to go off to relative's house to see friends from overseas this morning.
Sometimes friends and family come first.

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

beginner

Where is the NTS Workshop report?
Reply #29 - Nov 28th, 2005 at 1:26pm

NGM, this is taking longer than Ofcom does Roll Eyes.
Came back today fully expecting some feedback - what about giving us yours, Sonny?
At least it will be something, if NGM is otherwise occupied, and it might stop rumours that NGM is also MartinMSE, Daniel, Dave and DaveM , all in one Wink  (do I not remember NGM himself having a 'spat' about this 'conspiracy theory', not long ago??).
Have Ofcom 'got to him', finally - is our campaign doomed?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, Dave, CJT-80, DaveM, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge