Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
REPORTS on OFCOM NTS WORKSHOP - 3pm 24/11 (Read 56,968 times)
firestop

Do unto others, before
they get a chance to
do....

Re: OFCOM NTS WORKSHOP - 3pm 24/11
Reply #30 - Nov 29th, 2005 at 5:40am

Hi begginner.  Think you are right. Strange how NGM and sonny suddenly go all coy about the meeting.
NGM has been the most-posted writer in this forum over the last few months (at one stage I remember there seemed to be only him posting - and long posts at that). Since he was invited to the Ofcom meeting he is nowhere to be seen, and it's showing in that the site doesn't have much going on at present. Hope he's not taken the 'king's shilling'!!
A lot of strange goings-on lately.....

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: PLACES AVAILABLE - OFCOM NTS WORKSHOP - 3pm 24
Reply #31 - Nov 29th, 2005 at 12:16pm

Heinz wrote on Nov 28th, 2005 at 9:50am:
Sometimes friends and family come first.

Full report by tomorrow morning (Wednesday) morning I hope.

I left my list of attendees at the meeting back at home (been away from home that last 3 days) and I feel I can't write up some of the meeting without referring to that.  Also I have been very busy with other matters over the last few days and didn't even turn my computer on yesterday. Shocked

I will say however that Ofcom seem to be open to the possibility of realising that they may still have got it wrong with these proposals and that they may face major embarassment over their leaving 0845 untouched for several more years, and also not making 0844 regulated by ICSTIS (thus leaving the door open for all 0870 scammers to move there in spite of all the rubbish we usually hear spouted about 084/7 being so great for number portability).  I am less hopeful that Ofcom will be persuaded that 0844 and 0871 users have to move their services over to an 09 prefix.  But they might accept much more control of how 0844 and 0871 are marketed and might be prepared to see 0845 dial up users forced to 0844 so as to allow 0845 to be priced at geographic rate at the same time as the 0870 changes.  They also seemed open to the possibility of blocking off the current proposed loophole of allowing higher call charges to continue on 0870 so long as there is a call price announcement.

It is also very disappointing that Ofcom did not make clear how important a role we would have at this meeting  (both because of there only being 25 people or so in total there of which 7 or so were from Ofcom  and also because several of the other so called Ofcom Consumer Panel and Advisory Committee reps had almost nothing worthwhile to contribute) and did not give more notice so that we had a team of five reps who are regular activists in this forum.  Having said that I possibly made up for this by seemingly taking up about 75% of all question and answer time outside the tedious hour or more long presentation of their proposals that Ofcom insisted on wasting a large amount of time on.

I will report further with a more detailed analysis either this evening or tomorrow morning.

IP Logged

omy

I came - I saw - I went
home.

Re: REPORTS on OFCOM NTS WORKSHOP - 3pm 24/11
Reply #32 - Nov 29th, 2005 at 12:37pm

Good to see you back, NGM, we were so worried about you!
It sounds as though you may have had quite a lot of influence over matters - let's hope so.
It would be a miracle if they accepted everything we are saying, but even some movement on their part can only be for the good.
Look forward to you full report (and no false modesty when reporting your own contributions, please!!).
Regards.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #33 - Nov 29th, 2005 at 1:32pm

Hi NGM, it's good to see your posting today, and I look forward to reading your report tomorrow.

IP Logged

Sonny

Sonny's bit on the OFCOM NTS WORKSHOP
Reply #34 - Nov 30th, 2005 at 10:44am

While I was hoping to delay posting regarding OFCOM's Consultation Workshop last Thursday 24 Nov 2005, until NGM had said his bit, I've decided I cannot hold back any longer regarding one matter that came up.

I am going to mention an informal discussion between myself and the following OFCOM staff:
    Clive Hillier
    Sean Williams
    Gareth Davies
immediately following the formal meeting.  I have already referred to this in earlier posts to SAYNOTO0870, but feel it deserves repeating here, as verbatim as I can get.  In particular, note the very last comment.

I said "An interesting thing for you, gentlemen.  I have found in a survey that people who use SAYNOTO0870 and so forth to avoid making 0870/0845 calls discover that they now spend 3 times as long on their calls to these call centres as they had previously."

The OFCOM gentlemen nodded in anticipation.

"Now, call centres use these calls basically for two purposes - one, to sell to the customer; two, to help with the customers problems."

"Yes", they replied in unison.

"So by avoiding 0870/0845 calls, we, the consumers are doing these call centres a big favour - we're giving them three times as long to sell their products to us and solve our problems."

Vigorous nods of agreement.

"So, if they really wanted to sell their products at all via their call centres, dropping the 0870/0845s could help them, and save them a lot on their marketing budgets."

"If they wanted to sell, yes", one of the gentlemen replied dubiously.

"In fact," I continued, "American Express is a good example, with an 0800 switchboard number, and on their paperwork and web site they always show the 01273 numbers as well as the 0870s.  And they're a joy to talk to......."

Clive Hillier interrupts me, "that's absolutely right".

"You use American Express then, Clive?" I enquire.

"Sure I do" he replies.

Sean Williams interjects "But then, they're American, and they have a totally different attitude to selling and marketing on the phone than we do over here."  They all nod vigorously in agreement with this comment.

"However," I continue, "if companies over here could see things that way, then we might stand a chance of making real reductions to the £1.5 billion these companies and the telcos take from us consumers annually for 0870/0845 calls."

Sean looks doubtful.  "Well, I really can't see that happening" he says.

'nuff said.

Sonny

Sonny

IP Logged

omy

I came - I saw - I went
home.

Reply #35 - Nov 30th, 2005 at 11:24am

I think we must all be aware, sonny. that the Ofcom 'result' will probably be as they have already 'arranged' - little will change and certainly nothing that will prevent their commercial buddies from continuing to 'coin it in' from the 0870 scams.
Everything else is simply smokescreens and mirrors!
I have come to the conclusion that you CAN fool most of the people all of the time!

IP Logged

Sonny

Reply #36 - Nov 30th, 2005 at 12:10pm

omy wrote on Nov 30th, 2005 at 11:24am:
I think we must all be aware, sonny. that the Ofcom 'result' will probably be as they have already 'arranged' - little will change and certainly nothing that will prevent their commercial buddies from continuing to 'coin it in' from the 0870 scams.

Yes omy, I think you read the conversation I related pretty accurately.  Just to add, though - I did not detect any sense of guilt in Sean Williams's last comment, only an admission that they are forced to allow the situation to continue.  That implies to me that there is pressure from above (albeit on behalf of the telcos &c).

A really, really cynical person might interpret it this way:

The industry want to rip off the consumer.  Of course, there must be a sham regulator in place to supposedly function on behalf of the consumer, meanwhile allowing the rip off to proceed smoothly.  So industry must lobby through government to ensure that the regulator remains toothless, perhaps even replacing it every few years, viz OFTEL -> OFCOM, and of course just in case there is actually someone in the regulator's ranks who is genuinely trying to represent the consumer's interests (a kind of Trojan horse, as industry would see it!).

So, as far as industry is concerned, at the end of this NTS exercise there must still be in place a viable range of NGNs through which industry can continue to make its £1.5 billion p.a. of shared revenue, or preferably more, say £2.5 billion while they're about it.

How do we address that issue, then? 

Sonny

Sonny

IP Logged

omy

I came - I saw - I went
home.

Reply #37 - Nov 30th, 2005 at 12:27pm

Publicity is the obvious answer - but the old problem of how to do that when most of the publicity 'organs' are using 0870 for their own profits.
Similarly trying to get the Government to act you face a similar hurdle.
The only hope is that when enough of the general public realise the scam, the Gov will HAVE to act - but I think I will be gone from this world before that ever happens!!

IP Logged

mikeinnc

Ofcom - quis custodiet
ipsos custodes?

Perth Western Australia
Reply #38 - Nov 30th, 2005 at 12:35pm

There may just be a ray of hope here? I have been away travelling, but I seem to recall that there has just been a report from Parliament that a couple of the other useless so-called regulators have been warned to get their act together? Didn't the Postal regulator and the Energy Regulator get a sharp rap over the knuckles for being effectively useless, and providing 'jobs for the boys' in very expensive palaces in the most affluent real estate in town?

Maybe they will latch on to Ofcom next?

Smiley

IP Logged

drrdf2
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Nov 30th, 2005 at 2:44pm

I think that once we see yet again, as anticipated after all these sham "consulations" of Ofcom, that they still in reality do nothing active to even reduce these scams, let alone eliminate them, we must cease to respond to any further Ofcom consultations. It really is a complete waste of time. I believe the only way forward in getting anything done about all of this corruption, which is clearly at the base of their refusal to do their duty under the Acts and eliminate all of these rip-offs, is to lobby MPs, concentrating on exposing the failure of Ofcom to perform their principal duties under the Acts. 

A good one to start with is Edward Leigh who is chairman of the Parliamentary Accounts Committee. It is him that is referred to here earlier, who in this role has slated Energywatch and Postwatch. The big problem with telecommunications of course is that we do not have an equivalent body, having solely a duty to the citizen consumer. This is where Ofcom has split loyalties, and always acts in the interests of the telcos to preserve their revenue streams and ignores the citizen consumer.

I am about to send a message to Edward Leigh and I suggest all angered by Ofcom's continual failures do the same.

IP Logged

Sonny

Reply #40 - Nov 30th, 2005 at 5:43pm

Quote:
A good one to start with is Edward Leigh who is chairman of the Parliamentary Accounts Committee.

Hello drrdf2

Excellent place to start.  Anyone with further suggestions for governmental / government-influenced bodies that we might approach?

I shall also be contacting at least one national paper this week[tr][/tr].

Sonny

Sonny

IP Logged

firestop

Do unto others, before
they get a chance to
do....

Reply #41 - Dec 2nd, 2005 at 8:39am

It's now over a week since the 'Workshop' and I still cannot find the report promised by NGM.
Are we going to get anything?  NGM is still responding on other topics (18866), but seems reluctant to pass on thoughts about the meeting.  It's still a bit 'fishy', considering the number and lengths of his previous posts on this site - silence ill becomes you, NGM Wink

IP Logged

kk

Reply #42 - Dec 2nd, 2005 at 9:28am

Masterpieces take time.

KK

IP Logged

firestop

Do unto others, before
they get a chance to
do....

Reply #43 - Dec 2nd, 2005 at 3:50pm

Agreed, but NGM is posting regularly today, both on 'Cheap Calls' and here in this forum (a fairly lengthy one at 3:11).
Just cannot see why the 'main report we would all love to see is being 'put on the back burner'??

IP Logged

Sonny

REPORTS on OFCOM NTS WORKSHOP - 3pm 24/11
Reply #44 - Dec 2nd, 2005 at 7:56pm

One more thing that came up during the formal meeting last week - if I don't tell you now, I might forget.

It was a matter of emphasis.

Early on in their presentation, the OFCOM guys started making allusions to micropayments, where I would have thought they could have simply carried on talking about revenue shares.  I put on my best innocent expression Smiley and asked Sean Williams to explain for me the difference between micropayments and revenue share.  Sean accepted that there was really no difference.

After that, they stopped using the term micropayments.

£1.8 billion p.a. of micropayments?  Hahaha.

How subtle these telcos can get.  Yes, they've simply got OFCOM in their pockets.  Really...

Sonny

Sonny

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Forum Admin, CJT-80, DaveM, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge