Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
REPORTS on OFCOM NTS WORKSHOP - 3pm 24/11 (Read 56,595 times)
NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

REPORTS on OFCOM NTS WORKSHOP - 3pm 24/11
Nov 22nd, 2005 at 8:39am

Dear All,

Ofcom have given us a unique opportunity for up to five members of the SayNoto0870 discussion forum to attend a Workshop to discuss consumer issues associated with Ofcom's Consultation Document - Number Translation Services: A Way Forward at their offices in London this Thursday 24th Nov between 3pm and 5pm.  There are currently still places available for members of this forum if anyone is interested?

Ofcom have made this invitation through me because I have previously chased them rather hard about the fact that although they have held a variety of focus group on NTS issues for employees of the telecoms companies they have not previously provided any such Focus Groups for the views of ordinary uk consumers or uk consumer organisations.

Somewhat foolishly I naturally assumed that a fairly good proportion of our top 25 or so posters in this forum would take up the invitations I have previously sent them by Private Message but it seems to turn out that many of you live in the far flung nether regions of the uk 200 or more miles from London and so the prospect of a whole day off work and a £50 return rail fare is not proving quite as enticing as I perhaps had expected it to be.

So if anyone reading this works in London and can get the rest of the afternoon off on Thursday or if there is even anyone reading this in a a far flung region of the uk who is prepared to make a 3 or 4 hours return journey each way and spend £50 or £60 on train fares to have an opportunity to tell Ofcom what you really think about their proposals to reform 084/7 numbers then this is your golden opportunity.

Anyone interested should either respond to this Private Message or email me at ngm@grenehurst.plus.com.  If you have not previously made many posts in the forum some information on who you are and why you think you would have useful opinions to express at this Workshop would also be very helpful.

Below are details of the invitation I received from Gareth Davies at Ofcom.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

NGM

-----Original Message-----  
From: Gareth Davies [mailto:Gareth.Davies@ofcom.org.uk]  
Sent: 10 November 2005 10:55  
Cc: Matt Peacock; Roger Lowry; Steven Davidson; Clive Hillier  
Subject: Invitation to Ofcom Workshop  

I write to invite you to an Ofcom workshop to discuss consumer issues in relation to our consultation document:  Number Translation Services: A way forward (28-09-05)  

The event will be hosted by Ofcom Partner Sean Williams at Ofcom on Thursday 24 November, 3.00 - 5.00 p.m..  The event is for consumer groups, NGOs, consumer activists and other interested parties, and we have reserved 5 places (out of around 30 in total) for people who post on the www.saynoto0870.com forum. I would appreciate it if you could ask on the forum if anyone else would be interested in attending.  We would very much like you to join us, and would appreciate it if you could confirm whether you are able to attend this event by contacting Thesla Breban (thesla.breban@ofcom.org.uk / 020 7981 3624) as soon as possible.  

If you are unable to attend and would like to nominate an alternative representative please let Thesla know the name and contact details of your nominee.  We look forward to seeing you at the workshop.    

Kind regards,  

Gareth Davies  
Director of Competition Policy  

*** Thread title edited by Dave ***
« Last Edit: Nov 29th, 2005 at 12:20pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

omy

I came - I saw - I went
home.

Re: Places Available - Ofcom NTS Workshop - 3pm 24
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 9:24am

Good to see Ofcom are recognising the site!

But with this 'consultation' having been going for some while, it really is a bit late for most of us to even hope to get to London (from Scotland in my case).  Presumably Ofcom is typically 'Capital Orientated' (not unlike most other Government Offices) and wouldn't consider a 'rolling roadshow' around the UK, as we are ALL interested.

But, choose well, NGM, and 'give 'em hell'.  And tell us all about it when you get out, unless they blanket you with a 'Secrecy Order' Wink

Good to see you posting again.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 11:11am

omy,

There seems to be a massively non South East theme to the SayNoTo0870 forum regulars apart from me!

Norfolk, Yorkshire, Liverpool, Blackpool, Chesire, Scotland.  Anywhere but the South East or even London it seems.

Does this perhaps mean that most people in the South East of England get so well paid that they don't have to worry about the cost of calling 0870? Shocked  Those well paid enough not to have to worry about the cost of 0870 calls of course seem to naturally include all of the senior management of Ofcom. Wink  Which is why they don't seem to even begin to understand the problem. Angry
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2005 at 11:23am by N/A »  

IP Logged

omy

I came - I saw - I went
home.

Reply #3 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 11:20am

I think you may be correct in your assumptions, NGM, that 'Southern folk can afford to be scammed Wink

But I do hope you can rally enough support to go and present the case.  Wouldn't Daniel himself be a prime candidate, as it his site?

It will look bad if we fail to field a good 'team', when we are making such a fuss about 0870 etc.
Good luck.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 11:25am

omy wrote on Nov 22nd, 2005 at 11:20am:
Wouldn't Daniel himself be a prime candidate, as it his site?

I have asked Daniel but no response so far.  Dave lives in Yorkshire and seems to think it is too far to come.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 11:32am

omy wrote on Nov 22nd, 2005 at 11:20am:
It will look bad if we fail to field a good 'team', when we are making such a fuss about 0870 etc.  Good luck.

How about if Ofcom were prepared to cover people's travelling expenses?  Would that change anyone's answer on this issue?  How about you omy?

IP Logged

omy

I came - I saw - I went
home.

Reply #6 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 11:35am

Anyway, from your knowledgeable posts over the last months, I am sure you could do the job of five men if required Smiley

Be with you in spirit, of course.

IP Logged

omy

I came - I saw - I went
home.

Reply #7 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 11:39am

Sorry, posts crossed!
Unfortunately I couldn't make this Thurs - got a hospital operation booked - but I think expenses should make a difference to a lot of others.  And after all it's only a drop in the ocean on Ofcom's budget.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 11:44am

omy wrote on Nov 22nd, 2005 at 11:39am:
Sorry, posts crossed!
Unfortunately I couldn't make this Thurs - got a hospital operation booked - but I think expenses should make a difference to a lot of others.  And after all it's only a drop in the ocean on Ofcom's budget.

I haven't asked Ofcom yet but suspect they might agree to such a request to pay travelling expenses.

It might make a difference to a number of the potential attendees looking at £50 or £60 train fare bills.  After all most members of this forum are rather inclined to watch the pennies. Wink

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #9 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 1:36am

Quote:
omy,

There seems to be a massively non South East theme to the SayNoTo0870 forum regulars apart from me!

Norfolk, Yorkshire, Liverpool, Blackpool, Chesire, Scotland.
And don't forget Miami, FL area! Other than the fact that I started training for a new job last week, I would have attended, combining this opportunity with a visit to friends and family in the UK.

I really hope that we can contribute five individuals to this important meeting. A day out in London isn't that bad surely?!

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

dad2711

kent
Re: PLACES AVAILABLE - OFCOM NTS WORKSHOP - 3pm 24
Reply #10 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 8:19pm

With all the members on this site i for 1 would quite happily say two or three quid into a kitty to help a valued member from up north or south for that matter who has more knowledge than I to attend the offcom meeting.  If alot of members thought the same as I travelling expenses would then be sorted. Smiley

dad2711 &&I try to find numbers :--  but now im getting better at finding them

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 9:06pm

dad2711 wrote on Nov 23rd, 2005 at 8:19pm:
With all the members on this site i for 1 would quite happily say two or three quid into a kitty to help a valued member from up north or south for that matter who has more knowledge than I to attend the offcom meeting.  If alot of members thought the same as I travelling expenses would then be sorted. Smiley

I think its the day off work and therefore day lost from holiday allowance that is more the issue for most people.

I am surprised though that we haven't had more flexi time workers in the London area wanting to go.  For them if they started at say 8am then all we are talking about is a couple of hours off work to go to the meeting.  Unfortunately most of our activisits seem to be way out in the regions and our administrator Daniel - has vanished without trace at the very mention of attending a meeting in person.  I'm told by Ofcom the same thing happened the last time they invited him to a meeting.  It seems Mr - only does interviews by phone.  Curous insn't it. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2005 at 9:06pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

dad2711

kent
Reply #12 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 11:27pm

]
Today at 9:06pm by NonGeographicalMan
]] Quote:
I think its the day off work and therefore day lost from holiday allowance that is more the issue for most people.

Sorry i did not think of the work issue as i am registered disabled and do not work any more that thought never crossed my mind Embarrassed
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2005 at 11:41pm by dad2711 »  

dad2711 &&I try to find numbers :--  but now im getting better at finding them

IP Logged

beginner

Reply #13 - Nov 24th, 2005 at 7:24am

NGM,
If Daniel has 'gone to ground' can I ask if you tried MartinMSE?  As they seem to never appear together, if one isn't going maybe the other would?
Or am I a bit too cynical?
Best wishes for your appearance today - should be very interesting!

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Nov 24th, 2005 at 9:16am

beginner wrote on Nov 24th, 2005 at 7:24am:
NGM,
If Daniel has 'gone to ground' can I ask if you tried MartinMSE?  As they seem to never appear together, if one isn't going maybe the other would?
Or am I a bit too cynical?
Best wishes for your appearance today - should be very interesting!

I have a feeling MSE_Martin knows about today's meeting too. Wink

For whatever reason it does not seem to suit the agenda of either Messrs - or Lewis to attend such meetings.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, Dave, bbb_uk, DaveM, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge