Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FOI response - UKPS (Read 6,916 times)
idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
FOI response - UKPS
Nov 22nd, 2005 at 10:54pm

[Although I started a thread some time back about UKPS, this new thread specifically relates to the FOI request and not a general request]

Note, FOI request was submitted May 16, 2005 despite the claimed June 20 date as given in the reply. Question 1 asked for the geographic equivalent to the scam line number. Question 2 related to why 0870 is used and question 3 related to COI advice.

<<
Thank you for your correspondence dated 20 June 2005 in which you requested information about the UK Passport Service’s use of 0870 numbers.  Your request was handled in accordance with the terms of the Freedom of Information Act 2000.

Firstly, it may be helpful if I explain that the UK Passport Service issues British passports to British nationals who are resident in the United Kingdom only.  British Nationals who are resident abroad are the responsibility of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and full access to their advice and services.

Regarding your request, this has been considered and I am pleased to be able to disclose the information you requested to you below.

1.      This information is not held by UKPS.

2.      UKPS has used non-geographical (0870 previously 0990) for several years, as these numbers have traditionally provided an element of flexibility in where calls are answered which was not previously possible with normal geographical telephone numbers.  No meeting notes, etc. are still held.  The outpayments received from our 0870 numbers are at the following rates: daytime £0.015 per minute, evening £0.009 per minute & weekends £0.0072 per minute.

3.      UKPS are aware of the recent COI's advice regarding 0870 numbers and will shortly be reviewing their continued use.  Again there is no meeting minutes, etc. on this subject.  
>>

As I do not believe the answer to question 1, I will be requesting a review.

The time taken to answer this is also a disgrace and I will follow this up with the IC.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Re: FOI response - UKPS
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 2:22pm

revenue of 1p a min peak on an 0870?

Sheesh who do these gov departments use to provide the numbers! I can at least get 1.5p if I go thru my mates telco system thingy. And im also surprised at the amount of calls they get it wouldnt be more revenue share.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Re: FOI response - UKPS
Reply #2 - Nov 24th, 2005 at 8:22am

For the amount of traffic they get,some suppliers would pay them 3 or 4 p a minute. However i believe they are still with BT who may not be so generous.

BJ.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Dave, CJT-80, bbb_uk, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge